Pau López

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reckon we'll sign Lopez permanently and then loan him out to get experience in English football.

Although I had heard we've enquired about Jordan Pickford, but maybe that was just a contingency in case Hugo decided to move on.

Just seems like a big waste of time.

Long term projects always seem like a waste of time in their first period.

I'm surprised people are only just remembering Lopez and bringing him up again. He said months ago that Poch spoke to him and explained a long term plan for Lopez and that he was a big fan of it and wanted to see where it goes.

He's not stupid. He wouldn't of signed thinking he was going to play every game or even any games. He's here to learn and adapt and to become our first choice goal keeper in the future. Poch obviously sees quite a lot in him, the deal seemed very personal and a project close to heart for Poch.

In case anyone missed it on the Spurs website: here's Pau Lopez's 'My First Spurs Christmas'

PAU LOPEZ

National team: Spain Under-21s.
Previous club: Espanyol.

What will you do on Christmas Day?
I don’t know yet! My family will stay in Spain because my grandparents are old now so everyone will stay at home with them, then some of my family will come here to London on December 26 and stay for three or four days.

How does this differ from past Christmases for you?
My parents have a big house in Girona so normally we have a big family gathering there with my parents, my uncles, my grandfathers, my brothers – everyone! This year it’s nice to have football matches to prepare for – it’s certainly different to what I’ve been used to but I think it will be nice to see all the young children at the stadiums enjoying watching their teams over Christmas.

What is traditional at Christmas in Spain?
In Catalonia we typically have Tio, which is a piece of log from a tree that you have to take care of in your house. From December 8 you have to leave food for Tio every day – some people also cover it in a red blanket. The idea is to take care of Tio leading up to Christmas, then on December 24 or December 25 you sing a song and hit the log, which then magically gives you some presents.

pau_xmas_instory.jpg

What is your favourite festive meal?
Normally we have a soup with garlic, then for seconds we have some meat with potatoes, vegetables and sauce.

What do you wish for at Christmas?
I wish that the team has a good season this year. We are out of the Champions League but we are a very good team and we want to put on a good performance this season in the Premier League.

What was your most memorable gift as a child?
Tio once gave me a dog! He was an English bulldog called Lolo – definitely the best present I ever got!

Seems like a nice guy. I had no idea about that Tio thing - would be hilarious if he was winding the interviewer up.
Us calling Espanyol his 'previous club' is rather telling. Must be a LINO (loan in name only).

What is your favourite festive meal?
Normally we have a soup with garlic, then for seconds we have some meat with potatoes, vegetables and sauce.

I must admit I thought he was a cunt until I read this . He's now my favourite player.

Thanks for asking the right questions THFC, I've learned a valuable lesson

Lopez was espnyol no1 after Casillas left. Why has he given up regular top level first team football to play 3rd fiddle?
He must really trust poch.
My only thought is it's a tactical move by us, and he's a part of it.
That refused 3m saying they could get more for him after another season in top flight la liga. So we paid 450k to loan him, with an option to buy at 6m next year.
So, as he isn't playing his worth cannot really go up. No shop window. Maybe we thought the more he plays in Spain the more valuable he will get. The big boys have less chance of pouncing & we can then get him for 6m next season.
Unless they feel he's better than what they have and keep him. Begs the question why they let him come on loan. It doesn't make sense.
Then again 6m is quite a lot for a keeper for one season in la liga isn't it. However Man U paid 25m for De Gea he only had a couple.
I think the next biggest from spain is Bravo and then Reina for 9m callebaro 8m

I know I always seem to keep doing this... but fuck it, here's another one;

Bruvvas by a different Muvva???
pau_xmas_instory.jpg

cbb-jamie-ohara.jpg

BTW... when the fuck was Jamie O'Hara on CBB??? I must've missed a meeting!

Saw we had put in a £2.6million bid for him, Espanyol want £6.1 as their valuation? Not seen enough of him to comment properly but would rather see our younger lads such as McGee be given a change as third choice? Possibly even to fight for number 2 spot.

Saw we had put in a £2.6million bid for him, Espanyol want £6.1 as their valuation? Not seen enough of him to comment properly but would rather see our younger lads such as McGee be given a change as third choice? Possibly even to fight for number 2 spot.
I know where your coming from but Mcgee isn't the level we require, remember Pau was in the Spain squad not so long ago, and seems like Poch hand chose this guy

Back
Top Bottom