Our father, who art in Kane. Harold be thy name

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's been too many false dawns with players dubbed the saviour of English football. Players who then go through a bad spell or something like that, after they've been hyped up to the rafters after bursting on to the scene.

The difference between the likes of Barkley et al. who I'd put into the above category, is that Kane has worked hard to be where he is and has gone through some tough spells already. For example the injury that ruled him out when he was at Norwich and starting to get into the team. Then there was Leicester, not sure exactly what happened during that time, but there seems to be some bad blood between Kane and Leicester supporters.

Having overcome such set backs already, makes me feel confident he'd be able to do the same in the future.

I really do not like all this prejudged acalaid. He needs to keep real. He needs to keep working at his game and not belive all the hype. He needs to reproduce all that he has achived this season next season. He doesn't need articles as this with blasphemous headings giving him the kiss of death. He needs to be allowed to get on with his game, enjoy his football and hopefully Spurs will reap the benifits.

Last edited:
He's on course to be the first Spurs player to get 30 in a season since Clive Allen (not sure if Lineker got 30), so, if we can't give him acclaim then I give up. Given Kane's route to his (current) success, he's unlikely to get carried away, he's played in the lower leagues and grafted.

He's on course to be the first Spurs player to get 30 in a season since Clive Allen (not sure if Lineker got 30), so, if we can't give him acclaim then I give up. Given Kane's route to his (current) success, he's unlikely to get carried away, he's played in the lower leagues and grafted.
Wikipedia says Linekar got 28 goals and in the league and 35 goals overall in 91-92. Not sure about that though

Im all for praising Kane and his achievements this season so far and his overall attitude and contribution to the team. Im looking forward to his future with spurs and am hoping he can reproduce this form again and again. I just feel he needs protection against the hype. We have seen this all before with players that rise so quick and then struggle to maintain the same levels in seasons after. He seems level headed and should cope with the pressure, I just feel there is over reaction towards him and could be detrimental towards his progression.

Im all for praising Kane and his achievements this season so far and his overall attitude and contribution to the team. Im looking forward to his future with spurs and am hoping he can reproduce this form again and again. I just feel he needs protection against the hype. We have seen this all before with players that rise so quick and then struggle to maintain the same levels in seasons after. He seems level headed and should cope with the pressure, I just feel there is over reaction towards him and could be detrimental towards his progression.
The protection certainly won't come from the fans or from the media. Fans will be excitable and the media will build him up to knock him down. Pochettino seems to be going about things the right way, and is rarely over excitable in his praise for Kane.

Here we go again, build them up and knock them down.
This boy has emerged from various loan moves to prove that with the right guidance and grounding nothing is impossible.
Bales rise from ordinary to excellent was again due to good grounding and people around him who kept his feet on the floor.
Ravel Morrison shows just what happens when your mates ? Allow you to give it large and fuck the professional attitude he should have encompassed.
Let's hope we can keep HARRY, and he gives us someone who plays for the shirt and not a pound note COYS

I still get the feeling that many actually don't think he is THAT good because he isn't exceptional at anything, but he is very good at everything! But that is what makes him in a weird way. If one part of his game isn't working there's still so much more too him. I'd much rather someone like Harry who is an 8/10 at everything than a flashy 10/10 in just a few areas like a Morrison or Barkley because when it's not working for them they don't have much else to call upon.

I still get the feeling that many actually don't think he is THAT good because he isn't exceptional at anything, but he is very good at everything! But that is what makes him in a weird way. If one part of his game isn't working there's still so much more too him. I'd much rather someone like Harry who is an 8/10 at everything than a flashy 10/10 in just a few areas like a Morrison or Barkley because when it's not working for them they don't have much else to call upon.
Agree that he's very good at most things, but he truly is an exceptional finisher.

I reckon during his time on loan there must have been times when he thought he wouldn't make it at Spurs and now he's just out there enjoying every second of it.

I know it sounds like nothing, but he's 21. That's a lot more mature than some players who come through with a huge amount of hype despite having never actually played in the top division are.

The hype is surrounding him because of his performances, not because of his potential, this is the crucial difference I think.

Back
Top Bottom