Our Defence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any remember when we had the best defense under AVB going into that game against City? :pochfacepalm:

I'll care about it when we have the best defense at the end of the season.

Started well again this campaign.

293322_57c7242cae7fd167372d255bea152e75.jpeg

Best back 4 in my lifetime and I've been going since the late 70s. We have some great defenders but not many great defences. We never to my knowledge had the best defence in the league we do now.

Best back 4 in my lifetime and I've been going since the late 70s. We have some great defenders but not many great defences. We never to my knowledge had the best defence in the league we do now.
Agree 100%. Sure, we've had some great defenders, the first back 4 I ever saw had the likes of Mike England and the criminally unsung Phil Beal. Mullery and Perryman in MF and Jennings in goal.

But we've never had a system like this, nothing nearly as potent. It must be like playing a multi-headed hydra. And it started with Son pressing their keeper and just went through the whole team.

Some great saves from Hugo between the sticks,. but please sort that distribution. A howler of a hospital pass to Jan that almost gifted them a goal, and about 4 others in the first 20 mins. Very obvious from the North stand.

Agree 100%. Sure, we've had some great defenders, the first back 4 I ever saw had the likes of Mike England and the criminally unsung Phil Beal. Mullery and Perryman in MF and Jennings in goal.

But we've never had a system like this, nothing nearly as potent. It must be like playing a multi-headed hydra. And it started with Son pressing their keeper and just went through the whole team.

Some great saves from Hugo between the sticks,. but please sort that distribution. A howler of a hospital pass to Jan that almost gifted them a goal, and about 4 others in the first 20 mins. Very obvious from the North stand.
This is going to sound wanky but the remind me of liverpool 80's sides where the first defender was Ian Rush God he use to press and close down

It is looking very bright. Our Belgian duo were absolutely immense against City yesterday, and we've got two full-backs that are (at least) among the very best in the league.

And what really makes me happy is that it feels like we have good strength in depth there, too. It's amazing that we have a talent like Kevin Wimmer who's willing to play second fiddle to the Toby/Jan partnership, but there we are. We also have CCV ready and waiting, and I'm sure he'll get a bit more game-time if we progress in the domestic cups.

Then there's Ben Davies and Kieran Trippier: Both exceptional full-backs in their own right.

Exciting times...

This is going to sound wanky but the remind me of liverpool 80's sides where the first defender was Ian Rush God he use to press and close down

In the States we have to be reminded of that team all of the time. Steve Nicol manages to get his smarmy ass on TV just about daily.

The most amazing thing is that 3 of that back 4 were at the club four years ago... If you'd said then that we were a single addition away from the best defence in our recent history I'd have laughed in your face.

Back
Top Bottom