Our Defence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To me it seems like we have a plethora of defenders. Two (maybe three) back fours even:
Walker----Fazio----Vertonghen---Rose
Dier--Kaboul--Chiriches---Davies
(Naughton, Veljkovic, Fryers, BAE) (Yedlin)

Now this is good as we have to fight on at least two fronts with cup matches and Europa league. But I also feel that we may have too many defenders, and what title winning teams always have is an almost undisrupted back four. An undisrupted back four means a heightened understanding, consistency, and confidence given to the players. Woolwich have also taught us that your best CB pairing is not necessarily your 2 best CBs, seeing as they ostracised Vermaalen. So I think that we should have a consistent back four for the premier league but this will leave out 2/3 CBs, which may cause disruption. I fear that we will not be able to keep all of our defenders happy.

Look at Chelsea's back four, it has remained the same for almost all of the last 50 games
Ivanovic--Terry---Cahil---Azpilicueta
After that who is there, Zouma, Filipe Luis, Ake? I can't name anymore. And Chelsea have the best defence in the league.

I'm not saying we axe half our defence, but it just seems that it's overcrowded.
I know that everyone wants rid of Naughton and BAE but they are adamantly staying at the club, and Yedlin isn't due until next season. Dier, Veljkovic, Fryers are all youngsters. But I think we have two or three too many names in defence.

I'm definitely an advocate of having a regular back 4 as possible but not sure I can see it happening too much. Walker seems to have an un-ending injury but as soon as he is back he will be straight back in the team.
Kaboul has been Mr Glass for the last few seasons and although he seems to over the worst of it, he doesn't look the same player to me. Fazio is now in and would be expecting to play a fair amount.
Then there is left back which is up for grabs at the moment. The only certainly is Vertonghen and Lloris.

On another note, it makes me laugh how we were slagged off for signing so many players last season yet so for we have signed a whole back 5 (yes I'm including Yedlin for the numbers) and looks like another midfielder on the way.

Dier--Kaboul--Chiriches---Davies
(Naughton, Veljkovic, Fryers, BAE) (Yedlin)

I can see Naughton being moved on when Yedlin comes. BAE is practically gone too.

Fryers imo hasn't shown he can make it, not good technically enough to be a FB, and too scared to take responsibility/mark properly to be a CB. Still young, but I'd wager he'd be off.
Velijkovic will probably be loaned sometime soon I'd say.

That leaves
Yedlin--Dier--Kaboul--Chiriches---Davies

2 RBs check, 2 LBs check. 5 CBs check. 5 CBs is fine imo. It's 2 for both positions with 1 left over, with our injury records (and the injury history of Kaboul and now Walker potentially) and the amount of games we will play that is fine.

Bit pissed off we didnt bring yedlin in now for a few games until walker is back. Then given him a bit of a rest while kyle struts his stuff again
On the bright side at least this allows for Dier to keep playing whilst Kaboul/Vert & Fazio now can all still play.
& Yedlin stays getting regular football.

Biggest concern about defensive cohesion and quality is injuries as it always seems to be. Ending up at Benfica last year playing a backline of Naughton-Sandro-Fryers-Rose with Veljkovic as our bench option due to injuries and suspensions just shows our normal back line health luck.

Keeping everyone fit and helping to build a consistent back line and starting eleven is paramount. I hope we try to limit our rotation in league play and settle on a stable starting eleven and back four. We haven't had that in a few years.

Kaboul and Chiriches have been injured about 75% of the time since they came to Spurs. Walker is injured atm. Dier, Fryers, Davies, Yedlin, Naugthon, Assou-Ekotto,Veljkovic won't expect to be starters. The reason we don't have a constant back four is not because our squad has too many defenders, but because we have too many injuries. Even title winning teams have backup players. They have the same back four consistently cause they are luckier/better at avoiding injuries. Spurs needs the backup.

The CM position is overcrowded though. Five for two spots atm, and one coming in. All of the five will be unhappy not to be starters.

If the injuries don't turn out to be so bad and Poch ends up with players facing high bench time, I don't think he will force the rotation just to keep the players happy. I'd rather we have the job of finding new homes for players in January, whether temporary or permanent, than face having to play Capoue or Sandro as centre backs if we run into another defensive crisis.

AVB made the mistake of saying we had too many centerbacks last season and got rid of Caulker. Next thing we know Sandro and Capoue are filling in, Naughtons playing left back and Daws was our best centerback.

This isn't your granddaddys premiership. It's pretty brutal/athletic in the prem and I'm good with the numbers we have. Plus I don't think Rose and Naughton can be classified as defenders.

AVB made the mistake of saying we had too many centerbacks last season and got rid of Caulker. Next thing we know Sandro and Capoue are filling in, Naughtons playing left back and Daws was our best centerback.

This isn't your granddaddys premiership. It's pretty brutal/athletic in the prem and I'm good with the numbers we have. Plus I don't think Rose and Naughton can be classified as defenders.
Finally, you're talking some sense.

Back
Top Bottom