Our best chance of Champions League next year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

8th and a cup double I'll rip your arm off
4th on 38 points or

5th on 72 points?

7wxNAH2.gif

Few things have changed.

1 we ain't probably going to be in the title race this year and top 4 will be a stretch.

2 the EL teams are much weaker this time, like of Dortumund etc are in the CL.

3 As a team we really need a trophy to show how far we have come.

4 the EL past season has had CL football as a victory prize.
i honestly think City, Liverpool and United will drop more points than us this season and we can finish above them

We can get top 4.

Man United, on the other hand are desperate to win the EL. It's their only chance.
Man United, on the other hand are desperate to win the EL. It's their only chance.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I still can't get my head around what is so great about the top four, unless money is your focus. Even if money is your priority, you should realise that Levy has a history of investing none of it in the playing staff. Nobody gets excited if the England team comes 4th in a competition (not is if they ever do of course), nobody is elated if their favourite runner comes 4th in a race, and nobody is jumping up and down when their sprog comes 4th in the sack race. Fourth is a meaningless failure. What's more it just means we have to play for a trophy we don't have a monkeys chance of winning, and will most likely get embarrassed by when the team comes up against a half decent side (like this year). Of course, if we ever become a genuinely good side, the CL may excite me more. Until then I think the EL and the FA cup should be our main priority, so I just hope Poch takes both of them seriously, but I have my doubts !!

This is where Poch has to make a very serious decision. We know we haven't managed cups & the league too well with our squad & have ended up empty handed to finish in the top 4. Been there, done that. Maybe, just maybe, prioritising the cups (EL & FA) over the league would allow us to keep our strongest XI fit to give both a real good go, whilst allowing the squad players to get valuable game time in the league, perhaps playing more regularly as a group & with some of the more senior players playing a part.

Personally I wouldn't care if we finished 8th,9th or even 10th if we brought home a trophy or two this year because I would know that it was given a different priority. Our squad is neither strong enough or experienced enough to fight on all fronts when we consider injuries, fatigue & suspensions have & will play their part.

If we don't take the cups seriously, then I think it's a missed opportunity.

With you 100% on that

With the extra prestige from a top league finish, we have the chance to make signings that we would not otherwise make.

I hear this a lot but what actual proof of that exists? Who did we sign this year that we wouldn't have been able to get without CL football? I would argue our two biggest name signings were Soldado and Lamela both of which were made without CL football. Man U signed Pogba without CL football, Liverpool signed Suarez I can go on..

It is about the money and nothing else. Our transfer business is well documented we hardly ever have a net spend if we do its minimal. CL money does not go to sign additional players that has been proven. The fact we have been able to hold on to our players is because we generally are just a much better side but more importantly we are finally paying wages comparable to other top clubs.

I hear this a lot but what actual proof of that exists? Who did we sign this year that we wouldn't have been able to get without CL football? I would argue our two biggest name signings were Soldado and Lamela both of which were made without CL football. Man U signed Pogba without CL football, Liverpool signed Suarez I can go on..

It is about the money and nothing else. Our transfer business is well documented we hardly ever have a net spend if we do its minimal. CL money does not go to sign additional players that has been proven. The fact we have been able to hold on to our players is because we generally are just a much better side but more importantly we are finally paying wages comparable to other top clubs.

How about holding on to Hugo Lloris, for starters? Jan and Toby as well.
If we don't have CL football, it might encourage our existing talent to look elsewhere.
Van der Vaart I thought was interested in large part because we had attained CL football.
Though our past and current wage-structure doesn't typically allow CL knock-out round quality players from coming to us, we do make and retain some signings due to our competing in the CL. We need to keep qualifying as often as possible to keep the forward momentum going with regards to our acquisition of talent.

How about holding on to Hugo Lloris, for starters? Jan and Toby as well.
If we don't have CL football, it might encourage our existing talent to look elsewhere.
Van der Vaart I thought was interested in large part because we had attained CL football.
Though our past and current wage-structure doesn't typically allow CL knock-out round quality players from coming to us, we do make and retain some signings due to our competing in the CL. We need to keep qualifying as often as possible to keep the forward momentum going with regards to our acquisition of talent.

All three of them you mentioned have multiple years left on their contracts and seem happy here. We have come a long way as a club. The last two players we have lost were several years ago, Modric and Bale both to Real Madrid for stupid money, and both of them would have left for Real Madrid whether we had Champions League football or not.

My point being I think we are thankfully past the days of players using us a stepping stone. If we lose players now it would be to one of the true giants of world football for huge money and none in our own league. Last players we lost to English clubs was 8 years ago! I understand your sentiment though if we finished mid table a few years on the bounce then I would be concerned about player retention. Even then there is so much money just for being a part of the Premier League now you don't see nearly the same amount of transfer business between EPL clubs. Crystal Palace and West Brom are turning their noses up at 25m transfer fees and hanging on to their players, so I doubt we would have an issue anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom