Our best chance of Champions League next year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is where Poch has to make a very serious decision. We know we haven't managed cups & the league too well with our squad & have ended up empty handed to finish in the top 4. Been there, done that. Maybe, just maybe, prioritising the cups (EL & FA) over the league would allow us to keep our strongest XI fit to give both a real good go, whilst allowing the squad players to get valuable game time in the league, perhaps playing more regularly as a group & with some of the more senior players playing a part.

Personally I wouldn't care if we finished 8th,9th or even 10th if we brought home a trophy or two this year because I would know that it was given a different priority. Our squad is neither strong enough or experienced enough to fight on all fronts when we consider injuries, fatigue & suspensions have & will play their part.

If we don't take the cups seriously, then I think it's a missed opportunity.

Agreed on all points. Even if league results did suffer from prioritising for cups, I highly doubt we would finish below 6th. Haven't seen anything from Everton or Southampton to suggest they can be consistent enough to finish 6th and now you have the likes of Watford and WBA sniffing around there.

Winning something is also a source of pride for the players. Just think of a guy like Hugo that has been outstanding for us but when he looks back on his career he won't be able to say he won any trophies with Tottenham.

These guys have got to win the FA Cup or Europa.

Yeah, for some of us fans a trophy and a lower league position would be great. Not sure some of our players would prefer that though - or at least that's what most of the media would have us (and them) believe. Qualifying for the Champions League has become a self-fulfilling prophecy, thanks to players being told they have to be in it or they aren't playing at the highest level.

Yeah, for some of us fans a trophy and a lower league position would be great. Not sure some of our players would prefer that though - or at least that's what most of the media would have us (and them) believe. Qualifying for the Champions League has become a self-fulfilling prophecy, thanks to players being told they have to be in it or they aren't playing at the highest level.
Win the EL & we qualify for the CL. We could do a Sevilla- cut our teeth properly in the EL & then have that little extra experience/know how to take on European teams in the CL. Experience is what we lack rather than ability. That goes for the players & the manager.

Media bollocks. How has Chelski and Liverpool not being in the Champions League this season hurt them exactly?

Win the EL & we qualify for the CL. We could do a Sevilla- cut our teeth properly in the EL & then have that little extra experience/know how to take on European teams in the CL. Experience is what we lack rather than ability. That goes for the players & the manager.

Don't disagree. Looking at the teams left in the EL and there's probably only 6 that can (should) win it. 2 of those are gonna be knocked out in this round - then it's down to 4 and we're one of those 4.

We do lack maturity and more and more, i think that Poch also needs to wise up a bit, so he can pass that on to our brilliant young team.

Few things have changed.

1 we ain't probably going to be in the title race this year and top 4 will be a stretch.

2 the EL teams are much weaker this time, like of Dortumund etc are in the CL.

3 As a team we really need a trophy to show how far we have come.

4 the EL past season has had CL football as a victory prize.

This is where Poch has to make a very serious decision. We know we haven't managed cups & the league too well with our squad & have ended up empty handed to finish in the top 4. Been there, done that. Maybe, just maybe, prioritising the cups (EL & FA) over the league would allow us to keep our strongest XI fit to give both a real good go, whilst allowing the squad players to get valuable game time in the league, perhaps playing more regularly as a group & with some of the more senior players playing a part.

Personally I wouldn't care if we finished 8th,9th or even 10th if we brought home a trophy or two this year because I would know that it was given a different priority. Our squad is neither strong enough or experienced enough to fight on all fronts when we consider injuries, fatigue & suspensions have & will play their part.

If we don't take the cups seriously, then I think it's a missed opportunity.

8th and a cup double I'll rip your arm off

I'd love for us to win Europa but we simply aren't good enough to win it. Every year we're amongst the favourites to win it yet our playstyle on the pitch doesn't show it even when we play a majority of the 1st team. The second we face a decent side I think we'll get knocked out.

The beauty of it is we don't need to worry about it till mid Feb anyway. Lets see how the next 2 months of domestic action go first and then decide how seriously we should take it.

If we are in or around top 4 Poch will play his strongest side in the league and make changes for Thursday nights. Last season proved that.

The beauty of it is we don't need to worry about it till mid Feb anyway. Lets see how the next 2 months of domestic action go first and then decide how seriously we should take it.

If we are in or around top 4 Poch will play his strongest side in the league and make changes for Thursday nights. Last season proved that.

Good point

I think this year is much different than last year. If we are 10 points plus off the league leaders and we prioritise a league match over a knockout round of EUropa or FA Cup QF I, for one will be none pleased. Last year we were right to go for it at all costs. Leicester is Leicester they had the luckiest run of all my years watching football (also teams rolling over for them). This year you have teams that frankly if we are being honest are better than us above us. Not saying we can't manage a top 4 finish we will be there about in all likelihood but we aren't going to win it.

I think this year is much different than last year. If we are 10 points plus off the league leaders and we prioritise a league match over a knockout round of EUropa or FA Cup QF I, for one will be none pleased. Last year we were right to go for it at all costs. Leicester is Leicester they had the luckiest run of all my years watching football (also teams rolling over for them). This year you have teams that frankly if we are being honest are better than us above us. Not saying we can't manage a top 4 finish we will be there about in all likelihood but we aren't going to win it.

Couldn't agree more to be honest. I do think come Feb 16 we will still be within striking distance of the top 4 but this is where the manager has to use his head a bit. I would much rather give the tournament the respect it deserves and make a few changes for the PL game afterwards. Point in case after the 2nd leg against Gent we have Stoke at home. If the tie is still finely poised I'd rather see us play a full strength XI on the Thursday and worry about the Sunday in the 2 days in between. As Pochettino always preaches - the next game is the most important.

Our February fixtures.
Liverpool before Europa and therefore not affecting it. Presumably FA Cup in between Europa matches and if in it depends who we are playing. Stoke after which we should cope with.
Lot depends on the FA Cup. If we are playing say the Scum we will have to prioritise that match otherwise no reason we cannot put out strong teams.
Premier League
LiverpoolvTottenham Hotspur
Sat 11 Feb 15:00 (might be moved)
Europa League - Round of 32
KAA GentvTottenham Hotspur
Thu 16 Feb 18:00
Europa League - Round of 32
Tottenham HotspurvKAA Gent
Thu 23 Feb 20:05
Premier League
Tottenham HotspurvStoke City
Sat 25 Feb 15:00 (will be moved)

Couldn't agree more to be honest. I do think come Feb 16 we will still be within striking distance of the top 4 but this is where the manager has to use his head a bit. I would much rather give the tournament the respect it deserves and make a few changes for the PL game afterwards. Point in case after the 2nd leg against Gent we have Stoke at home. If the tie is still finely poised I'd rather see us play a full strength XI on the Thursday and worry about the Sunday in the 2 days in between. As Pochettino always preaches - the next game is the most important.

I can point right to our season two years ago. We were on the fringes of top 4 and rested many of our regulars in the FA Cup and Europa (Soldado almost single handedly took care of that). We got knocked out of both and then instead of our league form improving, we limped to the finish.

I can point right to our season two years ago. We were on the fringes of top 4 and rested many of our regulars in the FA Cup and Europa (Soldado almost single handedly took care of that). We got knocked out of both and then instead of our league form improving, we limped to the finish.
Less likely to run out of steam/motivation while there are cup final team places up for grabs? I like it.

If we despatch Gent (and if we can't, let's be honest, we don't deserve European football), we'll be three draws and four wins (for example) from lifting the UEFA Cup for the third time.

Anyone who doesn't spaff their pants at the prospect of that is about as Tottenham as Bob Wilson

The EL is not and will never be the greatest chance of CL. The top four always will be. Assertions to the contrary are utter nonsense....nonsense that is regurgitated every season.

Yes, I'd love us to win it, but the chances are significantly less than us finishing in the top four.

It's great that we have Europa League, but, I'd rather focus on the league.
We really need CL qualification. It's not just the money and prestige gained (for signing purposes) that is important, as it is also the money and prestige denied to some other club that would have had that spot that is important (not just keeping up with, but staying ahead of the joneses, so to speak). With the extra prestige from a top league finish, we have the chance to make signings that we would not otherwise make.

I'm kind of pissed that we were willing to rest our top CBs for the vital Monaco match so that we could field a stronger side in the Prem against Chelsea (with CL spots still at stake), and then, this past week, field a full strength side against CSKA rather than rest our top players for Man Utd over the weekend (with CL squarely out of the picture). Where is the consistency in that decision making? I don't see much, unfortunately.

I feel that we have a much better chance of getting Top 4 than of winning the Europa League.

Back
Top Bottom