NFL: A warning to the Premier League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some of it is true, some of it more speculation...

The running clock will save the game..or at least allow it be watchable...NFL, for me, is a waste of nearly 4 hours. I believe the average "playtime" for receiver/running back is less than 2 minutes...dreadful shit.

With the sport's growth in the US...you will see league matches held stateside. That, Im afraid, is only a matter of time. Which of course, places me in a pickle...support the sanctity of the game...or embrace the opportunity to drive to places like Tampa or Miami and tailgate Spurs and enjoy the match?

It really wouldn't surprise me if the average football match ends up being split into three, thirty minute periods. That would create 28 minutes of advertising time between kick-off and final whistle, and leave 2 minutes for commentators to talk about Liverpool.

With the sport's growth in the US...you will see league matches held stateside. That, Im afraid, is only a matter of time.

Won't happen.

"So if Sky come calling for four quarters rather than two halves, is the Premier League really in a position to say ‘no’?"

Also won't happen.

This is stupid and there id no evidence it would happen. Pure conjecture and fear mongering. You should write for the Daily Mail
The running clock makes commercials unlikely during games. The splitscreen comment has zero precedent in anything. Look at hockey. Some commercials but not many. None in the Olympics. Just two halftimes. Hockey is a game that is most like soccer based on flow. The overseas games happen to teams with attendance problems which the PL doesn't have. You are over thinking this

This article is utter utter rubbish. Fox, NBC, ESPN have all televised the Premier League (and other football like the World Cups, Euro Cups, MLS, etx) at various times over at least the last thirteen years and treated it with the utmost respect. Never has there ever been any split screen advertising. NBC just bid a massive amount to the EPL this summer, clearly the supposed lack of advertising time doesn't bother them. So if Americas's three largest media conglomerates in Disney (ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and 21st Century Fox have all had the rights to the EPL and never done any distasteful advertising, why now?

Then comparing it to the NFL is just the worst kind of strawman. You could not have two sports that are less alike in terms of gameplay than football and American football. In American football the game is built around stoppages and timeouts, so yeah it is a perfectly made for TV sport in an advertising sense. But that doesn't mean just because it works perfectly for one sport that they will try to shoehorn it into another sport. That is just nonsensical to think. Also it isn't like America is some Wild West for advertising anywhere. Americans think that advertising on a shirt or jersey is absolutely awful, something that every single EPL club does.

Also the stuff about the NFL not having any atmosphere is entirely unfair. This year the Seattle Seahawks broke the record for loudest crowd in the entire world unseating Galatasaray. The traditional teams in American football have great atmosphere (Bears, Packers, Steelers, Patriots and many many others). However the support is different since the game has so many stoppages due to the rules. The support is not continual because the game is not played continually.

The NFL atmosphere is struggling a bit in comparison to the past due to ticket prices but ticket price are rising in every single sport. The problem is that businessman have realized these sports are a business and thus it isn't as great as it once was. But anything successful eventually is conquered by business, just like old neighborhoods being populated by chain restaurants, sport has found itself in the grips of the ever powerful hand of capitalism which nothing can resist.

The atmosphere also suffers from over expansion of the league. Expansion teams have been added and don't always have great support and the league gets too many teams. The EPL has twelve less and has never had an expansion team and thus not suffering from the same problem. So once again why compare the NFL and EPL when they are barely comparable at all. Sure the NFL has some shit fanbases but how would you classify Fulham and Wigan?

Furthermore, the stuff about the rivalries and tribalism makes the comparisons even more ludicrous. I live in the state of Illinois (the 25th largest state in America) which is roughly the same size as England, we have one professional American football team. The closest other NFL team is three hours away. America doesn't have the same closely geographical rivalries and supporter tribalism as England not because of advertising or money but because geographically it is fucking huge. So why would this ever apply to England and English football. It is nonsense.

I'm sorry but this article reads like the insufferable Americans who like football because it isn't an American sport and because they think it makes them look cool and worldly. You can enjoy the game without being pretentious about it. I prefer football to American football and love England so much I'm going to school in London next year but you don't have to tear down one to like the other.

Overall, the NFL and EPL and massively different leagues, with way different sports, in very opposite geographic locations. They are only similar in that they make a lot of money and are trying to make too much of it at the expense of the fan. Just because they are similar in that way doesn't mean they are going to behave in the exact same fashion. You don't compare Exxon to Disney just because they both make tons of cash.

Last edited:
To be honest i am quite surprised it has never happened in England. In Italy and south america in game advertising is the norm.

In colombia whilst the ball is being passed around by the centre backs, the picture will stay and along the bottom a beer or soft drink will scroll with the sound. In italy there will be a 2-3 second advert when the ball goes out for a throw in every 10-15 minutes or so.

With the ball boys at the Lane being so slow, SKY could easily slip a 2 min advert in, if they wanted to.

I don't think it will ever happen here, it goes against not only football but English society. I would happily though allow them to cut 15 minutes of Jamie Redknapp out at half time and run pure adverts then, if they wanted?

Back
Top Bottom