Need For A Leader!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the past, Mackay, Perryman, Gasgoine, Sherringham, King. Talismen, leaders by example on the pitch. Today's example. Gerrad, Terry, Kompany/Toure! Wheres ours? Where is the player we look to, to take the game by the scruff of the neck, team mates (verbally) too and drive the team on?

We need to acquire a leading player in the Summer! Realistically, (if you agree) who?

Unfortunately it is very difficult to "bring in a leader." The best leaders in anything grow to become such via their previous interactions with their colleagues rather than being chosen by someone higher up in the hierarchy. So what we really need is for one of the current players to step up to the responsibility and privilege of such a role.

In the past, Mackay, Perryman, Gasgoine, Sherringham, King. Talismen, leaders by example on the pitch. Today's example. Gerrad, Terry, Kompany/Toure! Wheres ours? Where is the player we look to, to take the game by the scruff of the neck, team mates (verbally) too and drive the team on?

We need to acquire a leading player in the Summer! Realistically, (if you agree) who?
Combine Eriksen, Holtby, and Sandro into one.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to "bring in a leader." The best leaders in anything grow to become such via their previous interactions with their colleagues rather than being chosen by someone higher up in the hierarchy. So what we really need is for one of the current players to step up to the responsibility and privilege of such a role.

When we brought in Scott Parker, he grew into the role of leader for us, so it can be done.

Gazza? Really? Is running about like a headless chicken in the Cup Final your idea of leadership?

He was maybe more of an inspiration when he was playing well but you could have never called him leadership material.

Was hoping from last season that Verts was that type but he has proven when the chips are down he's not the man. We have one of the youngest (I have read the youngest, don't know if that's true or not) sqaud in the Prem. In terms of passion I have seen more from Bentaleb than most of our midfielders, Dawson is past it unfortuantly, no one really stands out to be hoenst.

I don't see anyone really capable in our team (Dawson, Lloris, Sandro, Ade included). If you look at the successful Man U team, they had Keane, Ince, Stam, Schmeichel (not sure if they all played together).

So we have to bring people in.

When we brought in Scott Parker, he grew into the role of leader for us, so it can be done.

Indeed, hence the "very difficult," not "impossible." What makes it yet more difficult is I don't really see any players that could step in that could also play in the positions we're weak at.

I would've said Vertonghen as a leader and captain before he turned into the moaning bitch he has been lately. Lloris would be a decent shout but he's not very vocal and Sandro has all the qualities but he may lack in communication with the others. It's hard to envision who could be a leader of men in our team as it stands really and I don't know who we could bring in to do the job either...

I would've said Vertonghen as a leader and captain before he turned into the moaning bitch he has been lately. Lloris would be a decent shout but he's not very vocal and Sandro has all the qualities but he may lack in communication with the others. It's hard to envision who could be a leader of men in our team as it stands really and I don't know who we could bring in to do the job either...

Sandro and Verts have been big let downs this season, when the chips are down they are not the men, Dawson is to old, Loris is a keeper and as you say quiet, Ade is just Ade. No stand outs, maybe in 5 years Walker and Bentaleb might be able to do the job, they both have good attitude.

Yep. We have one of the youngest teams in the prem. We need signings: Pref older heads that still have pace and power to account for the Eriksen and Lamela's lack of size and power. We need a good mix in mental and physical aspects IMO.

Way easier said than done. IMO Lev has to lose money on this one (wages and unrecoverable fee) for a longer term payout.

You can bring in captains specifically for that purpose if you feel the team needs a leader - apparently Timmeh was a great leader at Blackburn
:ade:

LVG bringing in Strootman. One can dream.

On a more serious note, players usually become leaders after great performances or at least have to enforce it through their performances. Not by just yelling or telling players what to do.

Sandro and Vertonghen are probably our most 'logical' leaders, however they don't perform.

Last edited:
LVG bringing in Strootman. One can dream.

One a more serious note, players usually become leaders after great performances or at least have to enforce it through their performances. Not by just yelling or telling players what to do.

Sandro and Vertonghen are probably our most 'logical', however they don't perform.

A shame really as both Sandro and Verts have the talent just not the balls, it's why Gerrard is many levels above them as a footballer.

Back
Top Bottom