Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

19 years old! Such an impressive player and character already. As mentioned in that interview he only made his debut back in December, the sky is the limit for this kid.

At the end, "I will fight for the club and I will do anything...".

More stamping on people please! Interesting to hear he remembers what Gallas said, shows how good it is to have much older players like that around.

It's easy to forget how young he is. Obviously a big talent, but I'm not sure if he should stay here short term. Premiership loan in january to play more in the league might be beneficial.

He is a good player no doubt, but I still think he is too early to be a nailed on first teamer. Some of his passing last night was shocking but he is young and needs to be nurtured and not have abuse hurled his way........

Spurs midfielder Bentaleb’s keen to develop under Pochettino and alongside Stambouli
Nabil Bentaleb, Tottenham Hotspur. Picture: EMPICS Sport
By Ben Pearce, Tottenham correspondentWednesday, October 1, 2014
2:43 PM

Nabil Bentaleb is looking forward to improving his game under Mauricio Pochettino and developing his midfield partnership with summer signing Benjamin Stambouli.

Bentaleb enjoyed a stellar rise last season, being promoted from the academy to the first team under Tim Sherwood and ultimately going to the World Cup with Algeria.

The 19-year-old started Spurs’ first three Premier League games under Pochettino but has since dropped into the second-string side, lining up against Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League and Nottingham Forest in the Capital One Cup.

Bentaleb, who was born in Lille, France, has been paired with Frenchman Stambouli in those games.

And, as Spurs prepare to host Besiktas in tomorrow’s European group game, he believes his new head coach and his new midfield team-mate can help him to develop.

“The manager speaks to you all the time, he tells you what you do that’s wrong and right,” said Bentaleb. “He takes you into his office and shows you what mistakes you made at the weekend and gives you something to work on, with your weaker points. I have to improve my passing, improve physically and get more mature on the pitch.

“I always come to training to improve and give everything when I step onto the training pitch. It’s still the same mentality as when I was in the academy.

“Benjamin is a great man. As soon as he came we spoke together because we’re both French. We got on well together and now we’re playing together in the centre.”

Bentaleb admits he is keen to force his way back into Pochettino’s best XI for the Premier League games, but he is also focused on helping Tottenham to advance in Europe.

“It’s very important for us and we all want to win it,” he said. “It’s very exciting, we know it’s a really good competition and you get the chance to compare yourself with big clubs in Europe.

“Everyone wants to play in the Premier League, it’s a big competition. But I take what I have to take and you have to prove to everyone that you’re good enough to play in the Premier League. You have to think about the team, it’s about getting the win.”

Danny Rose and Etienne Capoue are doubts for Spurs while Kyle Walker is still out of action.

I love the fact that Poch actually coaches, and gives the players clear feedback on what they do well and what they need to improve! This can only help the players, especially the young ones like Bentaleb.

Congrats on qualifying for the AFCON
Thanks man. Four wins in four matches isn't half bad. Now have won a record 9 consecutive AFCON qualifying matches. Factor in the World Cup performance and I can say Algeria are now Africa's best side, no bias.

Bentaleb is playing a new role for a new coach for Algeria. Christian Gourcuff's implemented a 4-4-2, so we're getting to see more of Nabil on both sides of the ball. His endurance works in his favour here; he was still sprinting in the 90th minute.

68/74 passing, 2 tackles and 3 interceptions was his statline. The passing stats and interceptions were both team highs. With Tottenham I often feel like he has to be stronger on his man, but that wasn't the case on Wednesday. Also think he's improved his passing-between-the-lines (improving this for Spurs too, see Dier goal vs. West Ham).

Two biggest faults worth pointing out were bad giveaways and lack of end product. The first is something I've noticed for Spurs too (Benfica away, for instance). It's frustrating that he can average such a high percentage the entire match and then have a brain fart and gift the opposition a gilt-edged chance. Second problem isn't so bad as he isn't in the final third too often. But he did have a few bursts in transition where he could have played a better pass.

All in all some encouraging progress. I'd give him a 7/10 over both internationals, maybe another half-point as the first Malawi game was his first in subsaharan Africa (tough conditions). Already has 9 caps at the age of 19, that's perfect. Onwards and upwards...

68/74 passing, 2 tackles and 3 interceptions was his statline. The passing stats and interceptions were both team highs. With Tottenham I often feel like he has to be stronger on his man, but that wasn't the case on Wednesday. Also think he's improved his passing-between-the-lines (improving this for Spurs too, see Dier goal vs. West Ham).

It was Kane with the pass wasn't it? Unless you mean during the build up to the goal, in which case I apologise.

:adebaehug:

It was Kane with the pass wasn't it? Unless you mean during the build up to the goal, in which case I apologise.

:adebaehug:
Yeah, that's what I meant. If you look a few seconds before his pass to Kane, he calls out to him, pointing to where he wants him to be. Receives the pass and immediately executes. Kane's pass was better, but Bentaleb's was more interesting for my personal and selfish reasons.

I think Nabil has a very professional attitude for someone so young. I thought he was outstanding when he first was thrown in in December last year, but he has not replicated that form or surpassed it.
I don't think that's all down to him. He was called on to do a more defensive role. I would like to see him do more in the final third, but I think injuries will be the only way he plays further up the field, or if we change formation.
He has tons of ability and a lot of experience for someone so young. He's not that pacy or a good dribbler, but is very clever. He can turn a player and leave him for dead. He's one of those players who knows what he's going to do before the ball gets to him. He can only get better. I think a regular place in the EL team and involvement in the cup games is just what he needs for his development. He can learn without too much expectancy.
There is one place up for grabs alongside Capoue/Stambouli in the EPL team and we have Paulinho, Demble, Mason and Nabil vying for that spot. Nabil is not automatically 4th choice and that is good for the squad.
We saw last year that the curse of expectation was enveloping Bentaleb with calls for his dropping as the 19yr old rookie with a couple of months EPL experience wasn't consistently shit hot.
The boy is a young gem that needs to be handled well. I think MP is the man to do that.

Back
Top Bottom