Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Already a better player than Paulinho and Capoue by a good margin. Even at least with Sandro and Dembele on their current form.

animals_who_have_the_come_at_me_bro_nailed_08.gif
For me Dembele is the best footballer in the squad, I think Capoue is better than Sandro (when played as DM) as he offers more going forward, although I have to admit that is based largely on his pre-injury games.
I'd start bentaleb over Paulinho every time. If all were fit and available in a 4-3-3 it would be Dembele, Bentaleb, Capoue.

For me Dembele is the best footballer in the squad, I think Capoue is better ..........
This.

I still think Dembele is our best center midfielder, but yeah, Bentaleb has been very impressing - certainly more than the much disappointing Paulinho, (though I think it's do with the World Cup.)

It will be interesting to see what happens with Bentaleb next season, let alone with the next manager ... will he be loaned to a PL side, or will he still be with us?

Hope he stays....very good footballer in the making.

Agreed like all youth players his positioning is not always perfect (remember 20 year old Gerrard) but his running, passing and general link up play is great. I think personally think he fits a 4-3-3 system where he doesn't have to get worried about holding his position as Sandro can cover and he can go around and cause havoc.

I realised tonight his technical football brain is far more advanced than most the team around him. The number of give and goes he never got back was tragic. Also het set up so much of our good play with a clever pass tonight. We'll done lad

Hope he stays....very good footballer in the making.

With all the midfielders we have at present I'd prefer to loan him to a PL side (Newcastle being my preference) so he can develop more before returning.

I really want Carroll to succeed and think next season will be make or break for him at spurs so he needs to be here. Whereas as Bentalab definitely has a future with us.

Didn't catch the game tonight, as I'm bogged down at the Uni, but heard he was quite good barring the giveaway at the end of the game. Watched his match comp, and followed along on twitter and the image I got was that he had lots of energy, desire, and in the second half played some beautiful passes.

Pretty sure that performance bought him a few more matches in the premier league this season, which subsequently cemented a spot at the World Cup. Only thing that'll keep him out now is injury. Here's his match comp for those interested:

It's visible that he still needs to improve. Maybe pull the trigger a little quicker, gain a little muscle mass, refine tactical positioning. All of that will come in time, I'm sure.

Didn't catch the game tonight, as I'm bogged down at the Uni, but heard he was quite good barring the giveaway at the end of the game. Watched his match comp, and followed along on twitter and the image I got was that he had lots of energy, desire, and in the second half played some beautiful passes.

Pretty sure that performance bought him a few more matches in the premier league this season, which subsequently cemented a spot at the World Cup. Only thing that'll keep him out now is injury. Here's his match comp for those interested:

It's visible that he still needs to improve. Maybe pull the trigger a little quicker, gain a little muscle mass, refine tactical positioning. All of that will come in time, I'm sure.

His forward passing was excellent, just a shame there's so little of it (as a percentage of his total). The last pass was disappointing, hopefully he'll learn something from it though. Positioning seems to be improving, could have been much different tonight if Lennon had been a bit sharper with his end product.

This was tonight's "pass map"

BjMm2cwIcAEwpmW.jpg

He did give the ball away (careless - as he has done a few times in the Prem), but let's not forget the boy's 19, was playing away in Europe in the middle of the park, and didn't stop running all night / movement / passing.

He also has the desire and hunger to play, you can tell. If you knock him down he'll get straight back up. High hopes for this kid, played very, very well.

You know what the best part is?
It's that I still don't know what kind of midfielder he is. The kid has so much potential!
Is he gonna be a CAM, a deep lying play-maker, a box to box, etc etc?

In retrospect, Bentaleb's introduction to the first team is probably going to be the best thing Sherwood does for us (at least until Summer).

You know what the best part is?
It's that I still don't know what kind of midfielder he is. The kid has so much potential!
Is he gonna be a CAM, a deep lying play-maker, a box to box, etc etc?

In retrospect, Bentaleb's introduction to the first team is probably going to be the best thing Sherwood does for us (at least until Summer).

This a great point. Just spitballing here but if I was making the decisions I would have him in the weight room all offseason bulking up in advance of making him a more defensive midfielder. Hypothetically, in the number six role of LVG's midfield. He's still scrawny and sinewy now but he has a great frame where he could really add bulk and quality strength.

For me, you don't see a guy with his quality passing ability and decision making mixed with his athleticism very often, let alone in a 19 year old. As a six he would play in role similar to Frank Rijkaard, Mark Van Bommel, Sergio Busquets. I don't think he'll every necessarily be as good as those guys but maybe he could be a more athletic Mikel Arteta. In essence, I just think when you have a capable defensive midfielder who is a confident passer that it allows your team to do so much more. It's much easier to find a creative number #10 than a player like that and that is why I would groom Bentaleb for that role.

Last edited:
I like him a lot, but that's why I think a loan would be a good idea. Be great for him to get 30+ starts for a prem team in the league. Much like Livermore has, and how Walker, Caulker, Rose and Naughton did.

I'm a patient guy though, wouldn't mind if we kept him and kept playing him. But finding ourselves on the pitch in terms of pinning down a style of play is harder to achieve when players are in huge development stages of their career.

I really hope that this kid is Sherwoods legacy at the the club, not his clothes, tactics or anything else, but Bentaleb.

I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet, like I did with Carroll, but hopefully he will be a regular for us for years.

This kid is already class and he is only going to get better, the one thing that stands out for me is the fact that every time he receives the ball, he nearly always has time and space.

I am very excited about this kid and I think he has the potential to have everything as a midfielder, he can tackle, he reads the game very well, he is fantastic in position, he gets about the pitch well and he can beat a man. The only thing that he will perhaps need to add is goals but that will come with time.

Back
Top Bottom