Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I tried looking this up but couldnt find anything. I very much hope that the new training regime has helped him overcome the hip problem permanently. When he's out we absolutely can't replace him. He's always the obvious outball when we're under the cosh - he's the only one that can shield the ball from 3 of the oppo, and then give it to one of ours in space.

Pretty sure, he did take some extended time out after the World Cup and it may have got sorted. We certainly don't hear anything about hip injuries anymore. Or maybe Poch has worked his Mr Miyagi magic on it?

Found this from 2014, but no mention of an op....

Dembele, having struggled to fully recover from a recurrent hip injury, has failed to nail down a starting position, and despite possessing great ability and change of direction in one-on-one situations, his tendency to hold on to the ball slows the team down, and his goals tally in a Lilywhite shirt has been poor - four goals in 84 appearances.

However, with a new manager, new training regime, and a new opportunity, Dembele and Spurs fans will hope the midfielder regains his best form. It would at least soften the blow from missing out his replacement.

First post on the forum so... wil have to start with; fok daai Woolwich kaksakke! Which is Afrikaans for fuck those Woolwich shitbags!

Anyway, i know this was mentioned previously, pretty long ago, but could Dembélé (the one we already have) not realistically be a pretty handy backup option to Kane?

He has played there before and has shown this season that he knows where the back of the net is.

I realize that we have a settled 11 and Dembélé is a key part to it but i am surprised that we haven't at least tried it in a pre-season/Europa league match before.

Chadli offers more on the wing than in front of goal, son has been underwhelming (albeit due to a lack of game time) and clint has unfortunately been injured for most of the season.

The guy has some super skills and we would not be making full use of all of them if he played at the front, but as an extra option in case of emergency I can't help but feel it might be worth a punt.

COYS!

There is a lot to be said for any player being a loss; Kane would be huge, Toby and Hugo would be massive blows but at the start of the season if someone had told me that the six matches in which Moussa didn't play our record would be one win, two draws and three losses I'd have been dubious.

He has been vital to this side, and the fact that one of those matches was Leicester at home can't be understated.

There is a lot to be said for any player being a loss; Kane would be huge, Toby and Hugo would be massive blows but at the start of the season if someone had told me that the six matches in which Moussa didn't play our record would be one win, two draws and three losses I'd have been dubious.

He has been vital to this side, and the fact that one of those matches was Leicester at home can't be understated.
The last time we lost a game when he has started was against Utd on the opening day of the season.

He has been going under the radar a bit with the English press, but he has arguably been our best player this season, certainly our best midfielder imo. Should've been a contender for team of the year imo.

Mousa will never get the recognition he deserves in the press because he doesn't get a hatfull of assists or goals and therefore isn't an 'exciting' player. To the casual viewer him ghosting round two or three players will seem like a good bit of skill but maybe an anomaly - but I don't think many understand just how good he is on the ball and beating people off the dribble on a consistent basis. Honestly can't think of a single player in the league who I would label a better dribbler than Mousa.

There may be some players with fancier footwork and quicker sprint speeds, but his combination of upper body strength, agility and short burst of speed is almost unplayable. That whoscored stat page says it all about his take-ons, the guy is unreal and completely unmatched in that respect.

I have always thought he would be best five a side player in world as he is the only player who can keep the ball, pass, defend and attack to a high standard, just wish the fucker would shoot more in our games! we have others for that though

It shows a lot the mentality of the class of Moussa, Hugo and Jan that came 4 years ago they have riden the storm now lead this team of masters

Mousa will never get the recognition he deserves in the press because he doesn't get a hatfull of assists or goals and therefore isn't an 'exciting' player. To the casual viewer him ghosting round two or three players will seem like a good bit of skill but maybe an anomaly - but I don't think many understand just how good he is on the ball and beating people off the dribble on a consistent basis. Honestly can't think of a single player in the league who I would label a better dribbler than Mousa.

There may be some players with fancier footwork and quicker sprint speeds, but his combination of upper body strength, agility and short burst of speed is almost unplayable. That whoscored stat page says it all about his take-ons, the guy is unreal and completely unmatched in that respect.
Modric got a lot of praise though and him and Dembele are similar in the sense that they could ghost past a player with ease yet didnt get many assists or goals. They tend to 'assist the assister'

Modric got a lot of praise though and him and Dembele are similar in the sense that they could ghost past a player with ease yet didnt get many assists or goals. They tend to 'assist the assister'
I think he might be better than Mocric, never given the thought to compare them before now, but his strength on the ball and dribbles make him better, although Modric had a better shot on him.
But where they are similar is the influence on the team, the penny drops when they miss a game, the void left is never fully replaced.

I think he might be better than Mocric, never given the thought to compare them before now, but his strength on the ball and dribbles make him better, although Modric had a better shot on him.
But where they are similar is the influence on the team, the penny drops when they miss a game, the void left is never fully replaced.
Nah, Modric was an absolute genius. Talk about making things tick.

Still one of the greatest performances from any Tottenham midfielder I've seen.

It's strange in a way that when our team had Ledley, VDV, Bale and Modric, 2 of my favourite players were Benny and Sandro ! Not that I didn't love our headline grabbers, but just felt that the performances of those 2 always seemed to slip under the radar.
In our current team I feel the same about Moose and Lamela, they don't grab the headlines, but we sure as fuck miss them when they're not playing.

Back
Top Bottom