Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Couldn't be happier to be wrong about a player.

Coming into the season, you could tell he worked on his fitness. He looked a lot thinner than years past.

The big question was how would it translate. Earlier in the season, we saw the same old Dembele.

Yesterday was the best match i've seen him play. He was a normal boss in the middle, dribbling past players with ease. But this time instead of a sideways/backwards pass, he'd play a through ball or release someone into space. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Hopefully the Dembele we saw yesterday is the one we see for the rest of his days here.

Bravo to him, Poch and whoever else worked with him. Never thought i'd see it, but he's totally transformed his game.

Echoing what others have said I would have been fine with us moving Dembele on in the summer. He was always holding onto the ball too long, slowing down our attacks and offering nothing in the final third. This season especially the last month or so he has been immense. He always had it in his locker but never thought it would happen for him with us. Very happy to be wrong, and proof a tiger can change his stripes.

Hopefully the Dembele we saw yesterday is the one we see for the rest of his days here.

IMO he has always been the same Dembele. If you think about it, his teammates were Lennon, out of form Lamela, Townsend, Ade, Soldado, Holtby, Defoe, Siggy, Paulinho, AVB, Daws etc. We were still almost getting 4th with Dembele in the team.

He's been dragging us through a poor transfer period and STILL keeping us in the hunt. I don't think Dembele has magically transformed. For a change Alli, Dier, Kane, Mason etc are handling their own business and gives Dembele less babysitting. He's been free'd up and he's not reacting to Chiriches doing backheels in our own box or Rose going through form nightmares.

IMO he has always been the same Dembele. If you think about it, his teammates were Lennon, out of form Lamela, Townsend, Ade, Soldado, Holtby, Defoe, Siggy, Paulinho, AVB, Daws etc. We were still almost getting 4th with Dembele in the team.

He's been dragging us through a poor transfer period and STILL keeping us in the hunt. I don't think Dembele has magically transformed. For a change Alli, Dier, Kane, Mason etc are handling their own business and gives Dembele less babysitting. He's been free'd up and he's not reacting to Chiriches doing backheels in our own box or Rose going through form nightmares.

He had a long term hip injury. That was the problem, and he looks like he's over it. He's a different player now. Stop blaming other players for his problems.

"This is the best team I've played in since I've been at Tottenham."

"Dele is one of the main guys though, he is playing with confidence on the pitch and it's amazing. He will continue to make more steps and become more important."

"The same applies for Dier. This year the manager has put him in a different position and he's doing very well. He has a key role in our style of play; he is very disciplined and he is playing well."

Hope he plays some street football with them after practice. They could learn a thing or two from him.

"This is the best team I've played in since I've been at Tottenham."

"Dele is one of the main guys though, he is playing with confidence on the pitch and it's amazing. He will continue to make more steps and become more important."

"The same applies for Dier. This year the manager has put him in a different position and he's doing very well. He has a key role in our style of play; he is very disciplined and he is playing well."

Hope he plays some street football with them after practice. They could learn a thing or two from him.

Dembele said that? I LOVE that Dier self disciplines.

Dembele has a great attitude too. This season again has been plagued with injury and he's still beasting everyone that comes near.

Pretty funny you post that seconds after I claimed that better players surrounding him has helped him shine.

I often said back in the day that we had a grass roots issue with attitude in UK with the drinking culture etc. Dier cutting his teeth elsewhere may be a bonus. He seems classy/dedicated.

I was thinking that Bentaleb long term would be captain, but Dier is looking like a leader in the making. We look like we have a lot of future captains in this team. Kane, Mason, Dembele, Dier, Alli, Toby, Jan etc seem to know what is important. It's a million miles away from drunk messes like Hutton and co.

Poch deserves massive respect for weeding out the weaker mentalities.

Last edited:
He was always holding onto the ball too long, slowing down our attacks and offering nothing in the final third. This season especially the last month or so he has been immense. He always had it in his locker but never thought it would happen for him with us. Very happy to be wrong, and proof a tiger can change his stripes.

This is a myth IMO. What did he have as targets making runs?

Paulinho, Soldado, Siggy, Lamela and Eriksen etc were not exactly quicksilver. And the players that had pace, Townsend and Lennon were not exactly making amazing runs for Demnele to pick out.

I think Dembele saying that he has better players around him is true. A team is important for an individual to perform. With Bale, Defoe and Townsend we had a lot of individualist players. Bale was right to be greedy to be fair.

This is a myth IMO. What did he have as targets making runs?

Paulinho, Soldado, Siggy, Lamela and Eriksen etc were not exactly quicksilver. And the players that had pace, Townsend and Lennon were not exactly making amazing runs for Demnele to pick out.

I think Dembele saying that he has better players around him is true. A team is important for an individual to perform. With Bale, Defoe and Townsend we had a lot of individualist players. Bale was right to be greedy to be fair.
We have basically the same players this season as last in front of him, so how can you blame the others around him? It may have more to do with his lingering hip injury but he is clearly been a different player this season. He even has some goals to his name.

We have basically the same players this season as last in front of him, so how can you blame the others around him? It may have more to do with his lingering hip injury but he is clearly been a different player this season. He even has some goals to his name.

There was an exodus compared to last year and AVB era. No Paulinho, Lennon, Townsend, Soldado, Ade, Siggy, Holtby etc is significant. Plus the Capoue, Stambouli and let's face it, Lamela is a different player.

Joe brought up injuries but Dembele has been injured this season. A few weeks ago Joe was saying Dembele kills our attacks with his indecision. He insisted not to play Dembele as he kills us. He claimed Dembele does not put the tackles in plus laughed that I wanted him played further forward and given more attacking duties. So I don't think I want to take more Dembele insight from Joe.

There was an exodus compared to last year and AVB era. No Paulinho, Lennon, Townsend, Soldado, Ade, Siggy, Holtby etc is significant. Plus the Capoue, Stambouli and let's face it, Lamela is a different player.

Joe brought up injuries but Dembele has been injured this season. A few weeks ago Joe was saying Dembele kills our attacks with his indecision. He insisted not to play Dembele as he kills us. He claimed Dembele does not put the tackles in plus laughed that I wanted him played further forward and given more attacking duties. So I don't think I want to take more Dembele insight from Joe.
Like it nor not, that's the reason. I stand by what I said, and I was not the only one to think so. His change in form can be only down to one thing, and that is shrugging off a long term debilitating injury. I'm not blind gibbs.

Dembele plays well from deep and yet still gibbs harps on about being right about him needing to be moved forward. We should just play mason and dembele as our front two since they're such attacking gods.

We should sack Poch too for taking too long to see it. Stupid argentine. :pochbye:

Dembele has gotten really good, credit to Poch and Dembele himself for making himself improve. Not anybody else.

you want to see him burn, thats harsh
Mousa-Demb-l--Tottenham-H-008.jpg

I'd go as far to say he's first name on the team sheet along with Kane and Lloris. He's been magnificent. Almost impossible to mark, he's as strong as an ox and is beginning to show how good of an attacking threat he can be as well as defensive.

Back
Top Bottom