Michael Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The plastic Spurs fans along with the pathetic bindippers and Arsehole fans on our twitter feed right now are really pissing me off.

The man is a true Spurs legend though and I just hope I can get tickets for his return to White Hart Lane for Hull!

dawson_farewell_730.jpg

Speaking for the final time before embarking on the next chapter of his career with the Tigers, the 30-year-old defender picked out some of his favourite moments in a Spurs shirt and had a special message for our supporters...

Michael, tell us about the last 24 hours. It must have been quite an emotional day for you...

Yes, very emotional. I saw the lads at the Training Centre yesterday and everyone at the Club and it was emotional, there’s no hiding it. I’ve been at the Club for nine-and-a-half years and I’ve enjoyed it so much, so many happy times, met so many great people, made many, many friends. But you know, that’s football. I knew my opportunities were going to be limited this season and I’m someone who loves playing football. I had the chance to join Hull City and it’s a club I know very well through the family connection with my brother (Andy Dawson) playing there for so long. I also spoke to Jake (Livermore) and Tom (Huddlestone), they love it and Steve Bruce, someone who played in my position, who I watched when I was a young player. I’m 30 now but I want to go there and continue to improve.

Do you remember your first day at Spurs back in January, 2005?

Yes, of course. I was thinking about it today, walking into Spurs Lodge for the first time with Andy Reid. I just hope I can play as well at Hull as I did for Spurs, give as much to the club and try to get the fans to love me as much as the Spurs fans did, they were special to me.

How would you describe your nine-and-a-half years here?

In one word – amazing.

It’s been a rollercoaster ride for you at the Club, hasn’t it?

There were some ups and downs. All the matches we won, the Champions League, the League Cup we won, the League Cup Final we lost, the semi-final against Woolwich, my slip in the semi-final against Pompey, Manchester City in 2009 – those moments will live with me forever.

What was the one moment that sticks out as your favourite from your time here?

It has to be AC Milan, leading the team out at the San Siro in the Champions League. When I left a Championship team at Forest to play in the Premier League, I dreamt about playing with and against world-class players. I’ve achieved that at Spurs.

What would be your top five Spurs moments?

I’d go for the League Cup win, AC Milan home and away, the 5-1 win against Woolwich and scoring my first goal in the win against Chelsea. People will probably mention more now but that’s the five off the top of my head – not bad!

You played 324 times for us. How much does that mean on a personal level?

I take a lot of pride in that. I was only 21 when I made the move to Spurs and if someone would have said that to me then, I would have bitten their hand off!

Have you a message for the fans?

I don’t know where to start. They’ve been incredible to me. I’ve had some tough times in that nine-and-a-half years as well but they’ve always been there for me, so a massive thank-you to all of them.

Imagine yourself in 30 years’ time – what will you tell your grandchildren about your time at Spurs?

I would just talk about unbelievable memories, great times, great matches. I’ve made so many great friends along the way as well. I suppose players spending that amount of time at a Club doesn’t happen as often now but I can truly say I’ve loved every minute.

10572262_10152378067858505_6695237080314672844_o.jpg

:vdvcry:

Impressive list of centre backs who have been at Spurs during his stay!

Ledley King
Noureddine Naybet
Anthony Gardner
Calum Davenport
Rodrigo Defendi
Goran Bunjevcevic
Dorian Dervite
Ricardo Rocha
Younes Kaboul
Jonathan Woodgate
Troy Archibald-Henville
Sebastian Bassong
William Gallas
Bongani Khumalo
Ryan Nelsen
Jan Vertonghen
Stephen Caulker
Vlad Chiriches

Amazing really when you look at it that way. I'd be happy to see him come back as a coach one day, true Spurs player

Here to show my appreciation to Dawson. Thanks for the memories. You will be remembered by me as a great defender who always gave his all and bled for the club. Also impressed with the manager for not attempting to make Daws play the high line and realising straight away he won't fit. It's great that he can leave with his head held high instead of potentially a season where he gets really exposed.

Impressive list of centre backs who have been at Spurs during his stay!

Ledley King
Noureddine Naybet
Anthony Gardner
Calum Davenport
Rodrigo Defendi
Goran Bunjevcevic
Dorian Dervite
Ricardo Rocha
Younes Kaboul
Jonathan Woodgate
Troy Archibald-Henville
Sebastian Bassong
William Gallas
Bongani Khumalo
Ryan Nelsen
Jan Vertonghen
Stephen Caulker
Vlad Chiriches

Amazing really when you look at it that way. I'd be happy to see him come back as a coach one day, true Spurs player

Some utter shit right there and this man gets slated all the time. I get that we've outgrown him now but still...

Really hits you in the gut - thinking of all the times you've watched him take the pitch and then reading that interview. fucking hell... :walkercry:
And his face is in the old spurs tab now *sniffle*

I haven't supported Spurs long enough to have many nostalgic memories of Dawson but in what I've seen of him, he always seemed a very committed servant and honest professional. And he managed to stick around for so long, which is a rare thing these days. Good luck to him in the future.

Back
Top Bottom