Michael Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm going to be proper gutted when Dawson leaves. Sure, he's lost a step and isn't really at our level anymore but I can't remember a nicer or more genuine bloke to play for the club. Always gave us his best.

I was amused to read the quote from H Redknapp today saying that Dawson is "a top player who you'd have in your side."

Comforting to know that some things in life are constant.

Be very sad to see Dawson go, Spurs get less and less like a team I've any great interest in supporting. More and more like bunch of mercenaries who have no feel for the club.

Of course I'm addicted so I'll carry on supporting, but the club is a mere shadow of the one I began supporting way back when.

Be very sad to see Dawson go, Spurs get less and less like a team I've any great interest in supporting. More and more like bunch of mercenaries who have no feel for the club.

Of course I'm addicted so I'll carry on supporting, but the club is a mere shadow of the one I began supporting way back when.
yet out table position has improved
levy-eyes.png

And every day you become more and more like the old man archetype who won't shut up about how things were back in the day, despite modern times requiring a necessary change in the ethos of every club on the planet. Not that getting rid of players who aren't good enough anymore isn't the logical thing to do anyway.

:paulinhofacepalm:

Last edited:
I honestly dont know why we would sell him for a couple of million, seems pointless to me as how many professionals of his standard can play most of Europa for you, League and FA cup, captain the side and wouldnt moan one bit, plus if your first choices ever got injured for the league games, he would be great to come in - why sell him when he is a positive influence all round the club

I honestly dont know why we would sell him for a couple of million, seems pointless to me as how many professionals of his standard can play most of Europa for you, League and FA cup, captain the side and wouldnt moan one bit, plus if your first choices ever got injured for the league games, he would be great to come in - why sell him when he is a positive influence all round the club

Most importantly, he is a home grown.

I agree with most of what you have said, we do need his character but more ability. We've all seen that if we continue with the high line It doesn't suit Dawson at all even though he will do his best and won't complain. It happened putting brad in for Europa games and the same happens with Dawson, there is no consistency, it leads to mistakes and confusion and other team can take advantage of that immediately. I think we need to get a strong centre back pairing and stick with it. As I much as I love Dawson and what he does it is essentially putting a square peg in a round hole asking him to play in a high line system.

I agree with most of what you have said, we do need his character but more ability. We've all seen that if we continue with the high line It doesn't suit Dawson at all even though he will do his best and won't complain. It happened putting brad in for Europa games and the same happens with Dawson, there is no consistency, it leads to mistakes and confusion and other team can take advantage of that immediately. I think we need to get a strong centre back pairing and stick with it. As I much as I love Dawson and what he does it is essentially putting a square peg in a round hole asking him to play in a high line system.

Oh of course if we got a couple of centre backs who were capable of this would be great but its gonna be another 60 game season, and you know our luck and I agree it wouldnt be ideal to keep moving people around, but it has to happen sadly, plus WHEN we do get injuries, he's great to throw in.

To the point with Friedel, 5 mins to go 1-0 up do you want him coming on, a 19yr old or someone who has been moaning for 3 months - there is definitely a place for Dawson for a team with a 60 game season coming up

It makes sense if there's any truth to us going all in for Stones, I suppose. He'll count as a HG, and could play in all of those competitions in order to continue his growth while cutting down on the stress that may (or may not) come from playing league games for a high pressure club. Captaincy could go to Friedel for cup/Europa games against weaker sides, Lloris for games in the knockout stages/ties against quality EPL competition.

I just hope they are doing some really severe due dilligence on Kabouls fitness, Dawson always takes the hits and Kaboul seems to avoided a lot of the finger pointing for 2 seasons since his incredible year. I love Kaboul but if you told me as manager now he would be fit for 10 games next season and Daws for 40, Dawson wouldnt be the one I would be looking to offload

The only reason to sell Daws would be to bring in some dosh to add to our war chest, but that's not going to be much is it? There's no way that Vlad, Jan and Kaboul are going to stay injury free throughout the season, so why off load someone with Daws' experience and passion for the club to get a few million in the bank?

Oh of course if we got a couple of centre backs who were capable of this would be great but its gonna be another 60 game season, and you know our luck and I agree it wouldnt be ideal to keep moving people around, but it has to happen sadly, plus WHEN we do get injuries, he's great to throw in.

To the point with Friedel, 5 mins to go 1-0 up do you want him coming on, a 19yr old or someone who has been moaning for 3 months - there is definitely a place for Dawson for a team with a 60 game season coming up

More good points mate, no doubt backs against the wall moments he's your man, injuries are nailed on at some point, kaboul has only ever managed 20 games a season at best, Vlad injured, vertonghen injured??, no doubt we need some depth just thinking it maybe time to get someone younger to mould into what we want rather than trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Don't get me wrong though Dawson is a proper defender and loyal, kind of like your old dog but you just don't walk him as much anymore but you still love him the same.
I guess what I'm trying to say is he will not play to his potential in what I presume will be our style of play heading forward yet at a club like Hull for instance he would be played constantly and I'm sure he'd be a rock for them being the best he can be, so for that reason I'd probably say go somewhere that can give you a home where you can run free and be happy!

As for Brad again your right, I would chose him to come over a young no experience fella, I was referring to the European games where Lloris made way for Brad and we continued to play a high line leaving gaping holes between him and the defence which even a shit manager can get shit players to just knock the ball into that space and allow a foot race between our defenders and them as to who gets to our goal first with brad nailed on his line.
Again what I'm trying to say having an experienced player is great but it's no different to Dawson in putting a square peg in a round hole playing how we play.

After watching Dawson today vs. Toronto, I am of the opinion (this opinion isn't new) that, while a great steward of the club, he is clearly not of the quality we need. He is just far too slow to react and the pace of the Premier League is going to murder him.

Love Dawson but he needs to go. Center back is our biggest need now that LB has been addressed.

Seems like a bit of a recurring theme in the past posts that most people have been happy for his service but his time has past. Football has moved on and it's going to be very rare to see a one club player anymore these days and more importantly, when you are an older guy like Dawson the game can go past you very quickly and all the recovery in the world wont keep you up to pace of the modern game..

Players do age you know ;)
Feels a bit less like a team at the moment due to the fact we gave so far got 10 new players in the past 2 seasons. Give It another season or two, and hopefully Real Madrid dont buy more of our team and we should look like a proper team again.
:adethumbup:

Seems like a bit of a recurring theme in the past posts that most people have been happy for his service but his time has past. Football has moved on and it's going to be very rare to see a one club player anymore these days and more importantly, when you are an older guy like Dawson the game can go past you very quickly and all the recovery in the world wont keep you up to pace of the modern game..

He isn't a one club player though. Came to us with Andy Reid from Forest.

He certainly isn't at the level we need, especially with the high pressing that MP will be using. Even under AVB he struggled with the pace of the game. He's a great representative for the club and I really like him as a person but he simply cannot compete at the level we need.

For the sake of a couple of million I'd probably keep him around the club, for the matches in the CC/FAC and EL against an appropriate opposing team and as back-up, but he isn't anywhere near first choice for me.

Well I have to say on last night's performance, Daws is a man on his way out. I thought he'd still be at Spurs come September, but looks like I was wrong.

Sad to see him go, but if it's to be it's to be. I've cheered up a bit over Spurs since we've signed Davies and Vorm, and maybe Lamela can bring some much needed excitement to the team, and I can look forward with more optimism. Looks like we need another CB now though.

Back
Top Bottom