Michael Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I kind of agree, but not.
I dont think he is good enough for the way we are likely to set up to play, certainly, but I do think he is good enough to play in a team that sits a bit deeper and keeps the play in front of him. Everton under Moyes, for example.
Agree. Daws is no slower than, say, Distin - yet he was a key member of the Everton defence under Moyes and now Martinez. But the defence is setup to the players strengths. They don't sit on the halfway line and expect him to catch Aguero if he breaks through!

If Daws + 1 other could stay fit and form a partnership (Daws and Verts did first season under AVB) then we'd be better off. His love for the club and fighting spirit might be exactly what Poch is looking for.

And I would expect him to remain club captain to give us some stability and god knows, we need some of that! I just don't understand people wanting him as far away from the club as possible, it just makes no sense.
I think we have to have a new skipper, one who has the full support of the manager and who can lead by example. Got to be someone who can rev people up on the field, unify them, Dawson perhaps not doing that?.

If Daws + 1 other could stay fit and form a partnership (Daws and Verts did first season under AVB) then we'd be better off. His love for the club and fighting spirit might be exactly what Poch is looking for.

Im working on the assumption we return to a high line, similar to what AVB had us doing. At Southampton Pochettino has his CBs split high and wide to accomodate a DM dropping in and the FBs pushing on. If we replicate this then with the best will in the world I just dont see Dawson as an asset.

For me he is not comfortable enough on the ball to bring it out of defense as required, nor comfortable enough on the turn to deal with teams coming against us. And Id fear for him positionally in what can be quite a fluid set up.

Its really just square peg / round hole stuff IMO.

I think we have to have a new skipper, one who has the full support of the manager and who can lead by example. Got to be someone who can rev people up on the field, unify them, Dawson perhaps not doing that?.
Definitely on the field, I just meant as overall club captain. I doubt it would be an issue for him if he wasn't but he does have leadership qualities and when not playing could still be useful in the dressing room etc...

I probably should make clear my view that I agree absolutely with those who think he isn't up to a starting place anymore and as Lister Lister has pointed out, very exposed in a high line defence. I do though feel, without any hint of sentimentality that there is still a role for him at the club.

I probably should make clear my view that I agree absolutely with those who think he isn't up to a starting place anymore and as Lister Lister has pointed out, very exposed in a high line defence. I do though feel, without any hint of sentimentality that there is still a role for him at the club.
Agreed ,I think there is always a role for senior players with long term service at the club, a lot of clubs make that mistake in moving out these players when they can be invaluable behind the scenes, look at Ledley.

Agreed ,I think there is always a role for senior players with long term service at the club, a lot of clubs make that mistake in moving out these players when they can be invaluable behind the scenes, look at Ledley.
What does Ledley do exactly?

He was loyal when there was a reported £9M offer from QPR on the table and AVB had told him he wasn't in his plans. Turned out we bloody needed him 3 months or so later so in answer to the question you pose, IMO yes he was/is loyal.
Well said. Obviously Daws isn't cut out for the likes of Real Madrid, but quite likely he was offered more in wages by QPR.

I'm really pleased to see in this thread some heartfelt support for our captain. Makes me feel a little bit closer to the current team again. As people have said, a team is more than just about 'ability on paper'. It's about team work. Players who care, etc. Which is why I don't agree with so many Spurs fans who want Daws out ASAP. Seems like loyalty doesn't count for much with many nowadays. Were they really that happy with Verts and Vlad last season? I wasn't.

Last edited:
Im working on the assumption we return to a high line, similar to what AVB had us doing. At Southampton Pochettino has his CBs split high and wide to accomodate a DM dropping in and the FBs pushing on. If we replicate this then with the best will in the world I just dont see Dawson as an asset.

For me he is not comfortable enough on the ball to bring it out of defense as required, nor comfortable enough on the turn to deal with teams coming against us. And Id fear for him positionally in what can be quite a fluid set up.

Its really just square peg / round hole stuff IMO.
Agree completely. Though we don't have any other defenders that can misplace a 90-yard cross field Hollywood pass to Lennon, so he has to start really.

What can you do.

Well said. Obviously Daws isn't cut out for the likes of Real Madrid, but quite likely he was offered more in wages by QPR.

I'm really pleased to see in this thread some heartfelt support for our captain. Makes me feel a little bit closer to the current team again. As people have said, a team is more than just about 'ability on paper'. It's about team work. Players who care, etc. Which is why I don't agree with so many Spurs fans who want Daws out ASAP. Seems like loyalty doesn't count for much with many nowadays. Were they really that happy with Verts and Vlad last season? I wasn't.
Not particularly - but the difference I feel is that Verts and Vlad can be better than that - Dawson was playing at full capacity and got exposed worse than any of them.

Some ITK in the transfer thread on Daws I think all of you may find interesting. The poster has himself been granted top legitimacy from SC, as he's posted under "The Goat" on multiple occasions.

The Goat is the account ITKs use to remain faceless. I wouldnt put a lot of stock in whatever gets posted under that.

Nor whatever ITK gets posted period, honestly.

The Goat is the account ITKs use to remain faceless. I wouldnt put a lot of stock in whatever gets posted under that.

Nor whatever ITK gets posted period, honestly.

I'm aware of the purpose of the Goat, and also in my diction used in the post in the thread it should suggest I don't entirely view these words or any ITK as entirely factual. In fact, I even point to a contradiction between two snippets of ITK from the weekend.

However, while ITK posted under the Goat doesn't necessarily suggest more validity of the information itself, it often suggests more stock placed in the source from which the ITKer cites to SC's mods, as the Goat gets its own thread and A&C often makes an announcement whenever it "bleats." :thumbup:

Daws is a good honest pro, I'm sure he is as aware of his limitations as a player as we all are. . . That bein said
we are fortunate to have the best goalie in between the sticks that we could all hope for, I've said it before about Rose and his awful awareness causing problems and I will say it again about Dawson.
Out any of our starting 11 fit or not, Lloris is probably our only world class player and under previous management I think it's been shameful how we have set up defensively to his strengths but not given Lloris the players in front of him to play that system. Playing Dawson in that system is no different to the Redknapp era of square pegs in round holes just to get your best 11 players on the pitch. We could sell Dawson (I would be gutted) but it's for the greater good, we could sell him for 6-7 mill and buy a replacement for less than 10mill, I'm not saying we could buy any old shit but the first attribute we should be looking for is pace, otherwise the high line will be exposed time and again and 5-0 drubbings to ensue.
We will concede goals still but will be less susceptible to pace and balls over the top.
Pochettino will attack regardless I think therefore a strong back unit is essential aswel as a good DM to sit in front. Hopefully none of the Dim Tim " Claude makalele was the worst thing to happen to English football" remarks and judging by his use wayanamma and Schneiderling at Southampton I don't think it will be a problem.
To conclude, Daws is good enough to have on the bench but I feel he's good enough to start for at least 10 clubs in the Prem and should be given that opportunity and to play in a system that suits him rather than having aguero, Suarez and co mugging him off in a foot race every week. Keeping him at spurs is detrimental to us and him, we need to find a solid defensive pairing that can play week in week out and form the axis of the team from the back playing the system we should be playing.

BrdVqmACIAA2veQ.jpg

it's seems Daws is having trouble accepting his level of lower midtable at best :dawsonmean:

or more than likely we're just paying him to much :dawsonlol:

still can't believe we lost a great academy product like Caulker but kept this clown:llorisserious:

I was pleased he didn't leave a couple of seasons back but now it is time.

I don't want the bloke's career petering out, and him just sat on the bench at the very best.

Back
Top Bottom