Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a shame he's out injured for 7 weeks because we'd probably have seen him tomorrow in some capacity and against some better opposition.

It's an ankle injury which can be tricky to overcome too so I hope it's just a one off because that would seriously hinder his development. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out if the worst happens tomorrow.

Unless we get a lower league team in the FA Cup, can anyone realistically see Edwards getting any game time?

Still remember when people were half-suggesting he would be in the first team this season or get significant game time. Eh.

Yeah... ain't we the chumps?
He's barely started shaving FFS... give him at least half a season to find his feet!

If he's hasn't ousted Dele from the First team by next Christmas, then you may have a point!

Apparently he's just about recovered from his injury, but he won't be involved against Villa as he's recently had his tonsils taken out and is still recovering from that.

As he is yet to make his mark it is important that when he does he is playing well and had a good few games for the development squad and playing well. Play him when he is not ready will put him back. I therefore do not think he will get a start this season now due to his problems.

Oh for fuck sake, Mr doom and gloom has come outta the bin!:dembelefingers:

Pardon? I was never binned, just not been on much.

Yeah... ain't we the chumps?
He's barely started shaving FFS... give him at least half a season to find his feet!

If he's hasn't ousted Dele from the First team by next Christmas, then you may have a point!
He's been injured most of the season.

There's every chance he would have been included more often had he been fit.

Even had be been fit I highly doubt Poch would have included him at all. He has talent but he's not physically or mentally ready, which is why I find it so amusing that at pre-season people were talking him up to insane heights and yet 60% of the season through he's not even featured.

Again, to clarify my point in few words - funny how high people rated him in pre-season, kid has talent, won't get much game time.

His breakthrough is probably 2 years away and maybe then I'll raise an eye brow or two at him then. Until then he's not even on my radar. Guy is a 17 year old boy talked up into being Messi lol.

Still remember when people were half-suggesting he would be in the first team this season or get significant game time. Eh.

He's just returned back to fitness after being out since September with an injury. He was involved with the first-team up untill then.

... as for talking him up and comparing him to other players. That was Pochettino.

Even had be been fit I highly doubt Poch would have included him at all. He has talent but he's not physically or mentally ready, which is why I find it so amusing that at pre-season people were talking him up to insane heights and yet 60% of the season through he's not even featured.

Again, to clarify my point in few words - funny how high people rated him in pre-season, kid has talent, won't get much game time.

His breakthrough is probably 2 years away and maybe then I'll raise an eye brow or two at him then. Until then he's not even on my radar. Guy is a 17 year old boy talked up into being Messi lol.
Obviously that's all conjecture as he wasn't fit so neither of us can know. It will be interesting to see how Pochettino handles him in the second half of the season.

It's not only Spurs fans that rate him though. Most believe he's the biggest youth talent in the country of any age and La Masia included him in their list of top 10 under 18 players in the world last year or the year before. Also, no one has said that he's as good as Messi, that's just hyperbolic nonsense. What they have said is that he has a style in his play, stature and dribbling style that is very similar to Messi. He has that low centre of gravity, takes plenty of touches and can manipulate the ball in every direction with his left foot.

I also disagree that he's at least 2 years away. I would be surprised if he isn't included next season in a similar manner that Winks and Onomah have been over the last season or so with cameos off the bench in teh league and starts in the cups.

I think it will be a direct race between Edwards and Nathan Oduwa as to which 'mercurial talent' makes it at Spurs... and who ends up at Hull!

Back
Top Bottom