Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you remember when Matty Etherington was the new Gazza? I reckon the lad has immense natural ability, although so did Zaha. All we can do is wait and see
I watched a decent amount of Zaha coming through and Edwards is a complete step above. If there's anyone I'd be scared of him replicating it'd be Taarabt, but I can't see that happening... Better footballing brain and better temperament.

I watched a decent amount of Zaha coming through and Edwards is a complete step above. If there's anyone I'd be scared of him replicating it'd be Taarabt, but I can't see that happening... Better footballing brain and better temperament.
Plus you can already see Edwards' striking of the ball is sensational. Zaha has never had that or much of a footballing brain.

If he is ever going to start for us he needs to be able to press and tackle at least to Eriksen standard. Otherwise he will be restricted to sub appearances when we need a goal.
I am not saying he cannot do that as I have not seen him play a full match.

His decision making at 17 looks better than Taarabt's ever was. If nothing more, it will be very exciting to follow Edwards' next season. Just hope he stays put!

Do you remember when Matty Etherington was the new Gazza? I reckon the lad has immense natural ability, although so did Zaha. All we can do is wait and see

He was the new Gazza - just not in a footballing sense. I'm quite sure his career went to the toilet as he let his vices (drink and gambling) ruin his career.

This is even better as Oxford is a Spammer! Sure they'll love him for this.

West Ham's Reece Oxford rates Tottenham prospect Marcus Edwards as 'one of the best' he's played alongside
marcus-edwards-jpg.jpg

Rising star: Marcus Edwards Getty Images
Reece Oxford has regularly rubbed shoulders with West Ham's first team since bursting onto the scene last season.

The teenager started the Hammers' memorable opening day victory at Woolwich and has gone on to make a total of 14 senior appearances for Slaven Bilic's side.

However, although Oxford currently counts Dimitri Payet and Manuel Lanzini as teammates, Tottenham prospect Marcus Edwards still rates among the best players he has ever featured alongside.

"I've said this before - Marcus Edwards. My age - he's probably one of the best players I've played with," Oxford told Squawka.

Oxford played with Edwards before being released from Tottenham's youth academy and his countryman clearly made a lasting impression.

Edwards is also highly-rated at Hotspur Way and made his Spurs debut in the recent EFL Cup victory over Gillingham.

Mauricio Pochettino has likened the midfielder to Lionel Messi but, perhaps sensibly, is keen not to rush the 17-year-old's development.

Spurs fans could get another glimpse of Edwards in action against Liverpool later this month with Pochettino hinting he could name a youthful side for the trip to Anfield

Expectation is rising in regards to Edwards while Oxford, who has regularly been linked with a move away from east London, has already grown used to dealing with such pressures.

And the versatile youngster is adamant he wants to focus on his football raher than speculation surrounding his progress.

“I just don’t really take any notice [of the pressure], I try not to think about it too much.

“I just do what I can do and hopefully it’s good enough,” Oxford told Goal.

Maybe I am confusing him with someone else, it is hard to keep track of all the new Gazzas that there have been
Etherington came across from P'boro at the same time as Simon Davies. Typical Pleat signings - proven at lower division level, lots of potential, some work some don't. I got the idea that Etherington was the favourite to succeed but Davies overtook him pretty quickly and Raincoat selected him after a couple of months. I saw him score a couple of goals in a cup tie and he looked useful. Badly affected by injuries. Man Utd were interested at one stage.

Etherington just had pace, one trick pony.

Just checked Wiki - Davies is playing again with his local boyhood club in Wales, Solva, paying £3 subs per game!! Good on him.

Absolutely amazed with modern day technology and social media that I cannot find the squad or the Goalscorers in England u19s 3-1 win over Croatia.

How am I supposed to get my Edwards fix if I don't even know if he's ripping apart some Croats?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom