Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just feel like we've been here before with certain youngsters getting bigged up by Spurs fans who have a bit of a following then them not turning into anything special, I dunno I'm just not buying into the hype yet
I was/am the same as you. I've seen him on the tele and YouTube, but I went to the training ground the other day and saw him play against Monaco in the flesh. He gets you out of your seat, absolutely amazing ability on the ball.

I do feel however that it will be a couple of years before he gets a League debut, as he offers very little defensively/without the ball, he just runs alongside the oppo. and is easily bypassed when he presses. Poch will obviously need to develop this side of the game before he starts a PL game but wouldn't expect any more than Erikssen offers in that department. But trust me he really is very exciting to watch on the ball.

By comparison Winks is miles ahead of him in terms of being able to hold his own in a league fixture.

I just feel like we've been here before with certain youngsters getting bigged up by Spurs fans who have a bit of a following then them not turning into anything special, I dunno I'm just not buying into the hype yet
I have no idea what you are talking about...

john_bostock_2009-240x330.jpg

Souleymane+Coulibaly+Northampton+Town+v+Tottenham+pj4I4wk0cgDl.jpg

DixonSpurs.jpg

19634Obika.jpg

DixonSpurs.jpg

19634Obika.jpg

None of those provided as much buzz or excitement as Edwards though. The guy has been talked about since he was 14.

Bostock was simply signed because he made his competitive debut at like 15. Like when Liverpool signed that Wycombe player. Coulibaly was never going to make it going by youth reports. Terry Dixon suffered ridiculous injuries and Obika was never good.

Plus, none of them had Pochettino.

None of those provided as much buzz or excitement as Edwards though. The guy has been talked about since he was 14.

Bostock was simply signed because he made his competitive debut at like 15. Like when Liverpool signed that Wycombe player. Coulibaly was never going to make it going by youth reports. Terry Dixon suffered ridiculous injuries and Obika was never good.

I was just being facetious mate.

Certainly not comparing ability. I'm comparing hype. Coulibaly came with bags of hype after the under 7's galaxy championship or whatever. Bostock's hype was also ridiculous.

Terry Dixon was the best out of that lot by a stretch. A real shame what happened to him.

Edwards to watch definitely has star quality, that rare low centre of gravity meaning he can out turn anyone, ball stuck to his feet control and natural creative drive.

What he does with this talent is up to him, he could be the English Messi, he could be the English Taarabat.

Yes (as you say) but, If we were winning 3 nil against anyone with 15 minutes to go, I would bring him on and give him run out.

But you can't possibly know if you'll be 3-0 up and you pick your bench before the game. If we're 3-0 up, sure, no issues. But we can't ever know that in time to put him on the bench.

Cruyff like turns whenever he got the ball and started running towards the oppositions penalty area. Smart 1-2s and interchanges between players years ahead of him after said turns. Massive amounts of confidence to even try the shit he did at 17 (seventeen!) and pessimistic cunts in this thread want to paint him as John Bostock?! WTF. If we are lucky enough to keep him, this guy will be the creative point of our midfield for years to come within a year.

I agree with the points about him having to learn his defensive work and being diminutive, but come on! This is the best academy prospect we've had in years (hardly anyone saw Harry Kane coming) stop shitting on this thread and enjoy the potential.

None of those provided as much buzz or excitement as Edwards... Terry Dixon suffered ridiculous injuries...

Terry Dixon was the best out of that lot by a stretch. A real shame what happened to him.

Agree... Terry Dixon WAS the one that coulda been... The new Rooney wasn't he? Or was Rooney supposed to be The new Terry Dixon?

Vagely recall him Re-emerging at West Ham for 2 reserve games... then got injued again and disappeared.
Real shame.

But you can't possibly know if you'll be 3-0 up and you pick your bench before the game. If we're 3-0 up, sure, no issues. But we can't ever know that in time to put him on the bench.
This is all speculative so only playing him, would we ever know ? For me, Kane is injured so it creates a space in the squad, on the bench. Give him that space one Saturday and lets see what happens.

running past a few league 1 players who were 5-0 down and already back in the changing room and getting off a decent shot. That is literally all this is yet I've seen it everywhere as if he's the 2nd coming
It's not just that bit of play though.

As a 16 year old there was some La Masia report, or something, that included him as one of the top 10 players in the world of his age and he's apparently long been considered the best talent of his age, or indeed the best English talent in years, by many youth watchers of various clubs. He has also apparently received offers that would have paid him a similar wage to what Eriksen was on here before his most recent contract by other London clubs and the Manchester clubs as well as receiving interest from Spain.

It's not just Tottenham fans that go on about him, it's literally fans of all clubs that see him play in youth football.

Also, Jayc1 Jayc1 there's nothing to suggest that he won't be better than some of our more established players if he was given a chance. Many thought that Alli would go on loan last year or would just play a bit part role, but he impressed in pre-season - similar to what Edwards did this season - and took his opportunity when they were presented and went on to be a key player for us last season. Who's to say that Edwards won't do the same if he is given the same opportunity? The same goes for Mason v Capoue/Paulinho/Demble the season before; he took his chance and was played ahead of more established footballers with bigger price tag.. Pochettino has made it clear that he doesn't care about reputation or price tag when picking the team. He picks it based on training level and attitude and apparently the whole first team were raving about how good Edwards was in pre-season.

He was also left out of the PL2/U23 game last night despite Walkes, who played a similar amount of time than him against the Gills, playing the full 90. Perhaps he's been included in the squad for Boro?

DixonSpurs.jpg

19634Obika.jpg

Most players that get over hyped and do nothing are those that stand out because of physical attributes at youth level (see also ex-Gooner Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who played right wing for Gillingham).

The opposite is true of Edwards.....and it is far easier to make a player stronger than it is to give them actual ability.

Most players that get over hyped and do nothing are those that stand out because of physical attributes at youth level (see also ex-Gooner Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who played right wing for Gillingham).

The opposite is true of Edwards.....and it is far easier to make a player stronger than it is to give them actual ability.
Do you remember when Matty Etherington was the new Gazza? I reckon the lad has immense natural ability, although so did Zaha. All we can do is wait and see

Back
Top Bottom