Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I trust Pochettino and Jesus Perez to get it right. Why the club would appoint someone else to advise takes away our faith in their abilities.

Result was shit and a lot us could see it coming, hopefully it's another hard lesson for the coaching staff and players to learn from.

If most of us saw it coming, then why didn't Poch and his staff? Need someone in there with a different personality imo.

He made a mistake...he's fucking human...

He doesn't think he did make a mistake though. He blames it on the team and the players, not realising what a massive fuck up our tactics were.

Fucking up is one thing, fucking up and not admitting it can turn it into a habit.

Well fuck. Really? Doesn't pass the eye test to me, and the best I can think is that this would only have been the case were Rose in the team. He even looks a little baffled that the journalist would think this.
It's the only thing that worries me - seemingly having a high-press opposition 'blind spot'.

There were numerous times that Davies was getting exposed by the high line though. It was a minor miracle that we only conceded two in the first half.

And don't forget that our defence was that much more likely to melt (as with Dier and that goal) when they're being overwhelmed by Liverpool's attack.

I agree with Poch......Ive been saying it since the game, that I cannot fathom how so many people think we lost because we were too attacking.
You have to be having a laugh if you think we were too far forward........we had 7 players around the ball on the halfway line, and they didnt keep playing behind our line, we kept losing control of the ball in situations that should have been 1000% in our control of possession. We gifted them goals.

People have also said we needed to sit back and concede possession.

News flash: Liverpool had more possession. We were hesitant to go forward, and we paid a heavy price for trying to dwell on the ball in nothing areas.
Exactly the same way we conceded at Old Trafford.

He doesn't think he did make a mistake though. He blames it on the team and the players, not realising what a massive fuck up our tactics were.

Fucking up is one thing, fucking up and not admitting it can turn it into a habit.
Why does he have to admit it in the public domain?

If there's one thing we all know, it's that what a manager presents to the press is not necessarily what they say to the players. Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Wenger etc. use the press as a game. Shouldn't use that against him imo.

He's not stupid, he'll know there's issues. The fact Hugo has come out and criticised also suggests things are being addressed behind the scenes.

Yeah it was Poch who made Dier control the ball like a 4 year old girl, and Wanyama and Toby part like the red sea on the halfway line....

Tactics? See my post above.....you cant have it both ways "giving Pool the ball was the way to go", but we did, and lost so people claim we were too attacking?!?!

How the fuck was we attacking them?

Cue, Pochettino to PSG stories from now on....

‘Special’ PSG are my team, says Spurs boss Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino has revealed that Paris Saint-Germain are “my team” after a spell there during his playing career.

The Argentinian captained the PSG side during a spell there between 2001 and 2003 where he failed to win any trophies.

Pochettino admits he still watches a lot of Ligue 1 football and pays close attention to how PSG are doing each weekend.

“I try to watch all I can. And of course, PSG,” he told SFR Sport. “My team is PSG — I love PSG. I spent nearly three years there.

“I spent some time, six months, with Bordeaux too but I was captain at PSG and that will always be special for me.”

When asked who he wants to see come out on top when PSG and Barcelona meet in their Champions League clash next week, Pochettino replied: “Of course, PSG!

“It will be a good game. Maybe I would like to go to Paris to watch the game — it will be a fantastic game.”

This is the exact reason why he used to talk through a translator at Southampton.

Let's imagine how this really went down (my assumption of the questioning in bold).

You spent some of your playing career in France - do you still watch French football?
“I try to watch all I can. And of course, PSG,”

Which team do you like the most?
“My team is PSG — I love PSG. I spent nearly three years there. I spent some time, six months, with Bordeaux too but I was captain at PSG and that will always be special for me.”

Who do you want to win between PSG and Barcelona?
“Of course, PSG! It will be a good game. Maybe I would like to go to Paris to watch the game — it will be a fantastic game.”

I can only imagine the questions were designed to be taken out of context. When he says "my team", it's just something lost in translation, the same as saying "my favourite team".

What adds more weight is that only desperate 'click bait' sites seem to be covering it.

If we'd have won at Anfield, none of this would even be 'a thing'...
instead you'd probably have something similar with Klopp declaring his 'love for Dortmund' and the media spinning it to suggest he'll be back there wanking his love piss all over their Yellow fucking Wall in the Summer!

Same as yesterday there were stories of Dele to Man City... funny that, seeing as we'd just lost a game, so suddenly it's abandon ship!

The media huh... gotta love 'em!

Yeah it was Poch who made Dier control the ball like a 4 year old girl, and Wanyama and Toby part like the red sea on the halfway line....

Tactics? See my post above.....you cant have it both ways "giving Pool the ball was the way to go", but we did, and lost so people claim we were too attacking?!?!

I don't see how we could have set up differently given the injuries to Jan and Rose?
Winks was good when he came on, but you couldn't have started him over Dembele or Wanyama, could have played Wimmer as a CB but he hasn't looked the most confident of late when he has played, I just think it was obvious to Klopp how we would play given the injuries and they had the perfect player in Mane to exploit that, but as I said before if son had scored would have been a different game.
To all the people questioning Poch, take a look at the PL table, whatever happens tonight we will still be 2 or 3rd, so I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

I don't see how we could have set up differently given the injuries to Jan and Rose?
Winks was good when he came on, but you couldn't have started him over Dembele or Wanyama, could have played Wimmer as a CB but he hasn't looked the most confident of late when he has played, I just think it was obvious to Klopp how we would play given the injuries and they had the perfect player in Mane to exploit that, but as I said before if son had scored would have been a different game.
To all the people questioning Poch, take a look at the PL table, whatever happens tonight we will still be 2 or 3rd, so I'm sure he knows what he is doing.
Funnily enough, the goals they scored didn't come from the most obvious examples of their attackers having space to run at our defence (again, it's surprising we didn't concede more given how the first half went).

I do fault the tactics of Poch. His hands were somewhat tied by our injuries but the numbers simply do not make for pleasant reading regarding our back four with Wanyama and Dembele in midfield. This article covers it nicely:

Monday Post-Mortem: What the hell happened on Saturday?

It might not have been the most adventurous decision, but trying a back 3 with Davies at a LWB might have been an alternative plan. Alas, he clearly isn't impressed with Wimmer from this season's showing.

Of course we're in a fantastic position in the league, and I absolutely love Poch. I just don't think he approached the game against Liverpool in the wisest manner, and it'd be intellectually dishonest for me to say otherwise based on how he's done overall.

This is the exact reason why he used to talk through a translator at Southampton.

Let's imagine how this really went down (my assumption of the questioning in bold).

You spent some of your playing career in France - do you still watch French football?
“I try to watch all I can. And of course, PSG,”

Which team do you like the most?
“My team is PSG — I love PSG. I spent nearly three years there. I spent some time, six months, with Bordeaux too but I was captain at PSG and that will always be special for me.”

Who do you want to win between PSG and Barcelona?
“Of course, PSG! It will be a good game. Maybe I would like to go to Paris to watch the game — it will be a fantastic game.”

I can only imagine the questions were designed to be taken out of context. When he says "my team", it's just something lost in translation, the same as saying "my favourite team".

What adds more weight is that only desperate 'click bait' sites seem to be covering it.

His English is fine. There is no problem with both the question or the answer that he gives. I have yet to hear him once bad mouth a single club that he has been involved with as both a player and Manger. He waxes lyrical about Newals and how one day he would love to manage them. He adores Espanyol. He speaks always with affection about Southampton, despite their fans booing him. He shows the upmost respect to every club and set of supporters. The headline is designed to get a click, it's worked.
You know that he came out and said only last year that he though the French league was a pile of shite, and because of this he wouldn't want to manger there.

His English is fine. There is no problem with both the question or the answer that he gives. I have yet to hear him once bad mouth a single club that he has been involved with as both a player and Manger. He waxes lyrical about Newals and how one day he would love to manage them. He adores Espanyol. He speaks always with affection about Southampton, despite their fans booing him. He shows the upmost respect to every club and set of supporters. The headline is designed to get a click, it's worked.
You know that he came out and said only last year that he though the French league was a pile of shite, and because of this he wouldn't want to manger there.

I didn't say anything about English. I said it was lost in translation:

Spanish -> French -> English.

Here's what they said in that video, in less 'literal' translation:

One last question about French football. You say you always watch Ligue 1. Do you still watch PSG?

Yes, I still watch french football. I try to watch it as much as possible. Of course, PSG. You know that. My team is PSG, I like the PSG, I spent about 3 years there. I spent six months at Bordeaux too. I was captain of PSG, and that will always be special to me.

They will be playing Barcelona on Tuesday. Who will you be supporting?

Yes, yes, obviously I will support PSG! You know it will be a very good match. I would really like to go to Parc des Princes and see this game.

It's a nothing statement that has been dragged out of context to sound like he was gushing about them. Leading questions and bad translation.

I didn't say anything about English. I said it was lost in translation:

Spanish -> French -> English.

Here's what they said in that video, in less 'literal' translation:

One last question about French football. You say you always watch Ligue 1. Do you still watch PSG?

Yes, I still watch french football. I try to watch it as much as possible. Of course, PSG. You know that. My team is PSG, I like the PSG, I spent about 3 years there. I spent six months at Bordeaux too. I was captain of PSG, and that will always be special to me.

They will be playing Barcelona on Tuesday. Who will you be supporting?

Yes, yes, obviously I will support PSG! You know it will be a very good match. I would really like to go to Parc des Princes and see this game.

It's a nothing statement that has been dragged out of context to sound like he was gushing about them. Leading questions and bad translation.
We know what's in the video mate, all we have to do is click play. The reason I posted it was to show nothing has been lost in translation. He loves PSG, as he does all of his past clubs. In your original post you were trying to imagine how the interview went down, thought I'd save you the bother of imagining it and actually post the interview.

Poch has a pass as far as I am concerned. He's earned enough credit to forgive the Liverpool disaster. I'd be gutted to see him leave anytime soon. And by no means am I am fan boy, I was highly skeptical after his first season, but I'd rather him there than not these days.

I think what has happened this year to cause a little fristration and performances like Saturday is to do with him and the coaches trying, rightly, to evolve our playing style so that we have more options. However, I think due to lack of personnel, because of injuries, we are struggling to play more than that one effective style, and especially away from home we look out of shape at time.

Last year we could attack both deep and wide, this year it's mainly been wide. Poch probably, with everyone healthy and on form, needs Dier back in midfield as a priority. The way he dove tails with Jan and Toby is vital to get the ball out effectively and through the middle, this is especially the case away from home. Dier and Toby eare highly effective with the long passes to get us up the field quickly and that is not happening at the moment, especially away from home. Wamyama does brilliant in breaking up play, but he is not as effective Dier in building the attacks. That's a problem that needs solving.

Additionally this year again it's been obvious that that black box of Mitchell's is clearly limited when it comes to success rate. it's hurt us badly this season. overall the club needs to sharpen up its scouting, which hopefully they will be doing soon. The poor recruitment Is not exclusively Poch's fault. From what the club tell us a committee decides who is signed. That seems wrong as the buck should stop with Poch, but clearly it does not and he does not appear to make much secret of whom he approves of and whom he does not.

Overall some of the recruitment, over the past three years has been abysmal. Some excellent buys have been dragged down by the lkes of Stambouli, Shitsoko, GKN, Jansen, n'jie, yedlin & Fazio, those being primary examples of pros who have contributed very little against the investment made.

And to focus just on the past summer Sissoko, GNK and Jansen have been absolutely pathetic so far. Jansen I get why they would do that deal and Poch picks him so must like him. But fucking hell them other two were expected to contribute something, not fuck all. It has hurt us with the squad options and a little criticism to Poch in being unable to get a tune out of them two broken pianos. But to just stand still you need all 3 of them players contributing. They have not done so, yet we are still on 50 points after 25 games. That is excellent all things considered.

One last thing. Lamela. Such an important part of how we play has been missing for getting on 4 months, for what on the face of it looks like a nothing injury. His absence hurts. Again especially in those games when you need to be a bit prickly, naughty and aggressive away. There is not enough there for the opposition to worry about at the moment. The sooner he is back the better.

Anyway, main point nothing is too bad at all overall, it just could be a bit better than Saturday !

Back
Top Bottom