Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So he has admitted that he may have made too many changes to the line up tonight.

I only hope he takes the FA Cup seriously.

Meh, I'm ok with the loss. I don't like losing, but we have limited resources, and 3 other competitions, two of which are much more significant, in terms of money, prestige and resources needed.

Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I think that depends on the planning. MUFC had no planning, and let Fergie even plan his succession, with Moyes handed the reigns to a traditional "manager as God" set-up. That failed miserably, especially as all the key people around Fergie who made it work left along with him.

I do not believe one second Moyes was first choice. The truth probably was no top manager wanted to follow SAF because it was meant to be a sure failure.

I do not believe one second Moyes was first choice. The truth probably was no top manager wanted to follow SAF because it was meant to be a sure failure.
Was it a sure failure, though? The team had won the league title the season before and had virtually unlimited funds (as always). Sounds like a manager's dream. Maybe the top managers just weren't available in 2013. Ancelotti signed with Madrid, Guardiola was off to Bayern, Mourinho was heading back to Chelsea....

Was it a sure failure, though? The team had won the league title the season before and had virtually unlimited funds (as always). Sounds like a manager's dream. Maybe the top managers just weren't available in 2013. Ancelotti signed with Madrid, Guardiola was off to Bayern, Mourinho was heading back to Chelsea....

I am sure there have been talks ahead. Its not like SAF decided overnight to step down. Yes it was a sure failure. Every successor would have been compared to SAF and it was unlikely any manager could repeat such a successful spell. Many considered Peps time at Bayern Munich as some kind of failure. After all he inherited the best Bayern team ever and only won domestic titles while Heynckes just won the treble including the CL. Timing is important.

Last edited:
The city win is looking less impressive with every game city play , especially as we haven't won a single game since either .

Genuinely have no idea mate, not sure if there is an official definition either. But for me if the ball is crossed and is not cleared and it results in another or other attempts on goal I'd still call it the result of the corner/cross, ball is still in play and still active.

An extreme example would be this cross (you have to assume that the cross was a dead ball of course) in the Accrington Stanley vs Crawley Town game from the weekend. I'd say this is all part of a single piece of play and as a result of the cross, ball not cleared. You say wee tomato and I say tomato.

Sunday morning stuff-brilliant.

Mourinho was still available as it (utd) was announced before the end of season.

Apparently Jose cried when he was overlooked in favour of Moyes, as he thought he was a sure thing due to being mates with SAF

We have to stop playing such risk-averse football, it's simply not good enough. Way too often we go for the safe pass instead of attempting a through-ball. I hope it isn't Poch's instructions, something needs to be done

We have to stop playing such risk-averse football, it's simply not good enough. Way too often we go for the safe pass instead of attempting a through-ball. I hope it isn't Poch's instructions, something needs to be done

I see it a bit differently. I've seen plenty of attempted through balls in recent games, but they've not been up to the standard necessary. We rarely lose the ball in midfield and the intricate stuff we try around the penalty box is where we lose possession 90% of the time. Naturally it's hard work to win the ball back, so the players do start to play it safer as the game goes on. No one wants to be the guy who gives it away.

Cvwd6_WWAAARezN.jpg

Those numbers are interesting but can be a bit misleading. Those numbers rarely reflect the true cash flow. Some players like Zlatan come for free but I am sure he profited from this by getting a better contract. On the other hand when he will retire at United it looks like a big zero on this sheet. But what about his marketing value? Zlatan sells. So in the end even if he wins them no trophies he probably will be a financial success for them.

Those numbers are interesting but can be a bit misleading. Those numbers rarely reflect the true cash flow. Some players like Zlatan come for free but I am sure he profited from this by getting a better contract. On the other hand when he will retire at United it looks like a big zero on this sheet. But what about his marketing value? Zlatan sells. So in the end even if he wins them no trophies he probably will be a financial success for them.
Doesn't take into account wages either

Actually in Ferguson's last years in charge he was peddling the "no value in the market" line while the Glazers debt on the club was still a problem. Ferguson kept that squad together for a good number of years - for instance he didn't sign a single midfielder from 2007 to his retirement instead rolling out 40 year olds and yet to be fulfilled talents.

I suspect Moyes was hired because he had previously shown strong capability of punching above his weight with serious financial limitations. He wouldn't complain about it either.

Obviously his failure showed the need for major surgery - by which point Utd were able to do so because of their record breaking sponsorship deals under the new CEO.

Throwing money isn't a solution however. There are systematic flaws at that club.

Back
Top Bottom