Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That interview on the Premier League Show with JJ is fucking excellent.

For those that haven't seen it yet, do yourselves a favour and set aside 10 minutes to watch it. It really gives an insight into the quality of man that he is and you can see why he would be so popular with his players.

They can't stop hugging, handshaking eachother and touching knees... they do it every couple of seconds it seems!!
Jeeez, get a room!

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has reportedly expressed his desire to have more of an input into the club’s transfer business.

Head of recruitment Paul Mitchell is set to leave the club in December two years after joining Pochettino from Southampton, and The Times believe the Argentine manager has requested that a direct replacement is not be found as he ultimately wants to ditch the director of football model.

Daniel Levy is ready to grant his latest wish, with Pochettino understood to be confident that he can take on the extra workload before leaving transfer and contract negotiations to the chairman.

‘Pochettino feels he can cope without someone in that role and is planning to have a greater say in transfers,’ writes Matt Hughes.

‘With Tottenham the only unbeaten side in the Premier League this season after going close to winning the title last season, Levy is not minded to overrule the manager by insisting on an appointment, particularly as he likes to take a hands-on involvement in transfer and contract negotiations himself.

‘Any new appointment is likely to be a low-profile addition to Tottenham’s scouting team.’

Tottenham are also continuing to nail down their current crop of players to new contracts, with Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen set to become the latest to sign on the dotted line in the next few weeks.

Pochettino eyes 'greater control' in Spurs transfers - Football365

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has reportedly expressed his desire to have more of an input into the club’s transfer business.

Head of recruitment Paul Mitchell is set to leave the club in December two years after joining Pochettino from Southampton, and The Times believe the Argentine manager has requested that a direct replacement is not be found as he ultimately wants to ditch the director of football model.

Daniel Levy is ready to grant his latest wish, with Pochettino understood to be confident that he can take on the extra workload before leaving transfer and contract negotiations to the chairman.

‘Pochettino feels he can cope without someone in that role and is planning to have a greater say in transfers,’ writes Matt Hughes.

‘With Tottenham the only unbeaten side in the Premier League this season after going close to winning the title last season, Levy is not minded to overrule the manager by insisting on an appointment, particularly as he likes to take a hands-on involvement in transfer and contract negotiations himself.

‘Any new appointment is likely to be a low-profile addition to Tottenham’s scouting team.’

Tottenham are also continuing to nail down their current crop of players to new contracts, with Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen set to become the latest to sign on the dotted line in the next few weeks.

Pochettino eyes 'greater control' in Spurs transfers - Football365
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out. It actually shows, again, how far behind the press are (appreciate this piece is re-reporting from The Times). Whist the details will probably never be made public about Mitchell leaving, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Poch was given greater powers when we gave him a new contract and change his position from Coach to Manager. It means that this is how Poch wants to run things. This change coincides with Mitchell's aspirations as a DoF role are now zero (why would Mitchell stay if he wants a DoF role).

Going forward I am optimistic. My optimism is fuelled by giving Poch greater powers and more control on all things within the football side of the Club, can only help us keep him at the club. "Other" clubs sniffing around him may not be able to offer him a position where he can enjoy the freedom and ownership i.e just a siloed coach possition. Also, if you are building a club in your own image this sense of ownership is a strong reason for a Manager to stay and see things through.

The downside is if he leaves, there is a massive hole to fill and may take a few seasons to fill, see Fergie.

Last edited:
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out. It actually shows, again, how far behind the press are (appreciate this piece is re-reporting from The Times). Whist the details will probably never be made public about Mitchell leaving, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Poch was given greater powers when we gave him a new contract and change his position from Coach to Manager. It means that this is how Poch wants to run things. This change coincides with Mitchell's aspirations as a DoF role are now zero (why would Mitchell stay if he wants a DoF role).

Going forward I am optimistic. My optimism is fuelled by giving Poch greater powers and more control on all things within the football side of the Club, can only help us keep him at the club. "Other" clubs sniffing around him may not be able to offer him a position where he can enjoy the freedom and ownership i.e just a siloed coach possition. Also, if you are building a club in your own image this sense of ownership is a strong reason for a Manager to stay and see things through.

The downside is if he leaves, there is a massive hole to fill and may take a few seasons to fill, see Fergie.
I think that depends on the planning. MUFC had no planning, and let Fergie even plan his succession, with Moyes handed the reigns to a traditional "manager as God" set-up. That failed miserably, especially as all the key people around Fergie who made it work left along with him.

If you can prevent the mass exodus, and have a plan in mind with a list of guys who you think can preserve the playing style and organizational approach, continued success is possible. I mean, if I were Levy, I'd always have an emergency list of at least 3 guys who could take over if anything were to happen with Pochettino.

I think that depends on the planning. MUFC had no planning, and let Fergie even plan his succession, with Moyes handed the reigns to a traditional "manager as God" set-up. That failed miserably, especially as all the key people around Fergie who made it work left along with him.

If you can prevent the mass exodus, and have a plan in mind with a list of guys who you think can preserve the playing style and organizational approach, continued success is possible. I mean, if I were Levy, I'd always have an emergency list of at least 3 guys who could take over if anything were to happen with Pochettino.
:harrysmile::sherwoodlol::freund:

It's been spoken about, but our goals against column is incredible. 9 games in and we have only let in 4 goals.

The next on the list:
2. Soton and Toffees 8
4. City, Scum, Chavs 9
7. United and WBA 10..

Brilliant stuff!

It's been spoken about, but our goals against column is incredible. 9 games in and we have only let in 4 goals.

The next on the list:
2. Soton and Toffees 8
4. City, Scum, Chavs 9
7. United and WBA 10..

Brilliant stuff!

United now 14........:adelol:

Probably fake but this is supposed to be a leaked 'long-list' for manager Ballon d'or list
CvdcWPEWAAA8ywK.jpg

It was from corner, 2nd phase, ball not cleared, Chadli left unmarked back stick, follow up from Lloris save. If ball was cleared then I would call it open play. Certainly very much alive in box not not cleared by us. That would be my take at least.
I'd be calling that open play.

Isn't open play everything that isn't direct from a set piece?

I'd be calling that open play.

Isn't open play everything that isn't direct from a set piece?
Genuinely have no idea mate, not sure if there is an official definition either. But for me if the ball is crossed and is not cleared and it results in another or other attempts on goal I'd still call it the result of the corner/cross, ball is still in play and still active.

An extreme example would be this cross (you have to assume that the cross was a dead ball of course) in the Accrington Stanley vs Crawley Town game from the weekend. I'd say this is all part of a single piece of play and as a result of the cross, ball not cleared. You say wee tomato and I say tomato.

Back
Top Bottom