Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jan should be careful. He might have been our best defender for a while, but now I think there's an argument that he's the least talented in our starting back line (depending on your view of Walker).

We've got the best (in terms of overall talent and chemistry) centre-back pairing in the league; surely he'd want to keep that going.

At 29 though you'd expect this would be the money deal. He could command a big salary at our competitors or a major European club.

Wimmer is better, IMO. Not sure if the stats back it up, but I'm sure our title contention coincided with the Alderweireld/Wimmer CB pairing

Wimmer is better, IMO. Not sure if the stats back it up, but I'm sure our title contention coincided with the Alderweireld/Wimmer CB pairing

I agree that Wimmer is probably better player-to-player. I find it quite incredible Austria don't play him at CB.

The issues begin when you factor in partnerships though. Jan and Toby work well. I'm not saying Wimmer and Toby don't/won't, but it adds a different dimension to the issue.

I think our 'Title' contention was there from about the 4th game in... any combination of Jan/Toby/Wimmer seemed to work last year. It was the bedrock for our epic 'almost' season!

I agree that Wimmer is probably better player-to-player. I find it quite incredible Austria don't play him at CB.

The issues begin when you factor in partnerships though. Jan and Toby work well. I'm not saying Wimmer and Toby don't/won't, but it adds a different dimension to the issue.

It's weird that in Jan and Wimmer, we have two CBs who both play at LB for their respective Countries...
Dunno if this is a good thing or not ...I think it's good!

It means we certainly have versatility right across the squad...

I'm thinking players like Dier, Dele, Son, Eriksen, Sissoko, Dembele who can all play (comfortably) in different positions.
I think that such versatility creates a fluid, almost 'moving target' that is really hard for the opposition to pin down, or indeed do anything about!

That, for me is as key to Poch's style of tactic as the 'High-Pressing' game is...

Look at me gone all 'Tactical awareness'... I'm usually posting lame look-a-likes and piss-take responses!!

Wimmer certainly did a good job when he came in for Jan last season, was maybe a bit unlucky not to keep the spot. Is he a bit short on pace though. Maybe thats why Poch benched him again, we need pace throughout the back 4 to play a high line.

I'm not sure Wimmer is the better player right now, but I certainly think he's the better defender. Think Big Kev deserves a chance.

Jan's ball playing is great.

giphy.gif

Seems to be a lot of negative Vertonghen talk, due to Poch saying don't expect anymore contract signings any time soon. Season is still young and Vertonghen has always been honest about his contract situation. Let's just see how our season pans out, plenty of time for things to change.

*Edit okay just seen the article on ESPN about Jan stalling on new deal.

Last edited:
At 29 though you'd expect this would be the money deal. He could command a big salary at our competitors or a major European club.
I seriously doubt it's about the money in his case. I've watched Vertonghen play and him speaking in interviews as far back as his early Ajax games, and I might sound naive to some, but based upon that, I am quite certain that he is not the type of player who cares that much about the money.

Also, if it really was about the money he would've extended his contract long ago, take the extra wage increase that comes with the extension, and then later on start moaning that he wants to get out to a bigger club to earn even more.

For someone who has been in the first-team as long as he has, he probably earns relatively little in terms of wages, being still on his first contract that he signed for us more than 4 years ago.

I seriously doubt it's about the money in his case. I've watched Vertonghen play and him speaking in interviews as far back as his early Ajax games, and I might sound naive to some, but based upon that, I am quite certain that he is not the type of player who cares that much about the money.

Also, if it really was about the money he would've extended his contract long ago, take the extra wage increase that comes with the extension, and then later on start moaning that he wants to get out to a bigger club to earn even more.

For someone who has been in the first-team as long as he has, he probably earns relatively little in terms of wages, being still on his first contract that he signed for us more than 4 years ago.

Remember seeing somewhere he was earning in the region of £60-70k pw. I doubt he was earning as little as say Eriksen or Alli prior to their new deals. You are right though he's never come across as greedy and he would have signed new improved deals had he been. Then kicked up a stink about leaving. He's said he would honour his contract with us, even after he didn't sign a new one after Sherwood left.

I think Vertonghen will re-sign. Eriksen's "re-signing" was also quite protracted, but still happened. He's at a contender, playing next to the guy he's been paired with since childhood in Belgium (literally), and seems to have a happy life away from the game.

Just a matter of time.

Seems to be a lot of negative Vertonghen talk, due to Poch saying don't expect anymore contract signings any time soon. Season is still young and Vertonghen has always been honest about his contract situation. Let's just see how our season pans out, plenty of time for things to change.

*Edit okay just seen the article on ESPN about Jan stalling on new deal.
Not negativity from me per say. Jan is a good player.

It's just from what I've seen of Big Kev, I think we've got a great player in the making.

Bayern were sniffing for a reason.

I really doubt there will be much "tension" between Poch and Jan. Veronghen has been brilliant since Toby joined us and is 25% of the best back four in the Premier League. Versus Monaco the whole team was culpable, quite sure the wounds have been healed since then. The 1-5 however will be brought back on if he needs too, quite sure he was spitting blood after that one.

Not negativity from me per say. Jan is a good player.

It's just from what I've seen of Big Kev, I think we've got a great player in the making.

Bayern were sniffing for a reason.
I don't doubt Big Kev could be the next big central defensive beast. Wimmer was injured in pre-season so still finding his way back. At the moment the Toby and Jan partnership is the best combination, almost telepathic due to them playing together for so long. Vertonghen is still starting even after his supposed disagreements with Poch after Monaco. We've still only conceded 3 goals in the league, none from open play.

I don't doubt Big Kev could be the next big central defensive beast. Wimmer was injured in pre-season so still finding his way back. At the moment the Toby and Jan partnership is the best combination, almost telepathic due to them playing together for so long. Vertonghen is still starting even after his supposed disagreements with Poch after Monaco. We've still only conceded 3 goals in the league, none from open play.

Amen. I would keep the Jan/Toby partnership together as long as it's possible. Tough luck for Wimmer, but the Team goes first and at the Moment those two have, as you say a very good partnership. Keeping Jan makes Toby happy. And we need to make Toby happy!

We should be very happy we have Wimmer and CCV as backups!

Pinch of salt gossip...

I really doubt there will be much "tension" between Poch and Jan. Veronghen has been brilliant since Toby joined us and is 25% of the best back four in the Premier League. Versus Monaco the whole team was culpable, quite sure the wounds have been healed since then. The 1-5 however will be brought back on if he needs too, quite sure he was spitting blood after that one.

To be fair... any 'tension' from the Monaco match would've been brought about by the fact it was probably the one result that did for Poch not winning Manager of the Month for September...

SPURS RESULTS (September):
Stoke City (a) 0-4 (W)
Monaco [h] 1-2 (L)
Sunderland (h) 1-0 (W)
Gillingham (h) 5-0 (W)
Middlesbrough (a) 1-2 (W)
CSKA Moscow 0-1 (W)

LIVERPOOL RESULTS (September):
Liverpool 5-1 Hull
Derby 0-3 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool
Liverpool
4-1 Leicester

I'm not sure of the maths, but seemingly 4 wins are better than 5 wins!
To be fair, Liverpool did beat Chelsea away, and Champions Leicester (remind me how the fuck Leicester were Champions last season?)

Poch ad Jan are fine, i'm sure... any Contractual 'stalling' will be purely Money/Agent led... not 'cos Jan lost his man for the first Monaco goal!!

To be fair... any 'tension' from the Monaco match would've been brought about by the fact it was probably the one result that did for Poch not winning Manager of the Month for September...

Stoke City (a) 0-4 (W)
Monaco [h] 1-2 (L)
Sunderland (h) 1-0 (W)
Gillingham (h) 5-0 (W)
CSKA Moscow 0-1 (W)

Liverpool 5-1 Hull
Derby 0-3 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool
Liverpool
4-1 Leicester

To be fair, Liverpool did beat Chelsea away, and Champions Leicester (remind me how the fuck Leicester were Champions last season?)

Poch ad Jan are fine, i'm sure... any Contractual 'stalling' will be purely Money/Agent led... not 'cos Jan lost his man for the first Monaco goal!!

Oh, but we didn't want him to win that poisoned chalice...Here is me crossing all I got that it WILL be a poisoned chalice this month!

k11196631.jpg
Jurgen-Klopp-BVB.jpg

That interview on the Premier League Show with JJ is fucking excellent.

For those that haven't seen it yet, do yourselves a favour and set aside 10 minutes to watch it. It really gives an insight into the quality of man that he is and you can see why he would be so popular with his players.

Stoke City (a) 0-4 (W)
Monaco [h] 1-2 (L)
Sunderland (h) 1-0 (W)
Gillingham (h) 5-0 (W)
CSKA Moscow 0-1 (W)

Liverpool 5-1 Hull
Derby 0-3 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool
Liverpool
4-1 Leicester

It's Premier League Manager of the Month, so only based on Premier League games. Poch, Klopp, Wenger & Guardiola all won 3 out of 3 games during the month of Sept.

Back
Top Bottom