Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AVB season 1 though! Before we rip into his tactics, gave us Bale the unstoppable scoring machine. For that I am thankful, it's not his fault Bale left and the way he wanted to set the team up was changed and his targets were not purchased.

None of that actually matters now because we have Pochettino who is what I had hoped AVB could have been. A progressive, cultured young coach who can inspire us. Not some throwback 'proper football man nonsense! What does that actually mean anyway? :harrysmile::sherwoodlol::avbfu::pochsmirk:

Agree but I would temper that with our Spursy tradition. We always develop and build teams round players from Gazza to Bale but while the magic is nice it's short lived.

By making Bale the centre piece we advertised him to all the worlds big teams. We then lose that player then end up not replacing properly sending us back to square one. It demoralises the fans and fellow players alike.

Bale was amazing that season but it was always going to be brief. Poch builds teams, I am going to say it but I would rather lose Kane than Poch and I don't think I have ever said that about a manager being the most important not that Kane wants to go.

Embarrassingly I was advocating LVG and didn't want Poch

:thumbdown:

Still my medication has now been sorted
:gazza:
To be fair, I think most of us at the time, thought that Poch was a poor second to LVG. For once, the football gods were good to us and I am so happy that it worked out so well. May his reign be long and glorious.

I never wanted LVG. I thought he was a busted flush after the WC. I had a discussion with someone on here about him, and I got called out. I said let's see. Of course I never heard back, you never do.

I'll admit that I wanted LVG, but the warning sign for me was Holland playing the god awful 5-3-2.

Remember Redknapp gushing about it at the time and claiming that 5-3-2 was the future.

I was a LVG proponent as well, but honestly can't remember why at the moment. Just must have been the perceived prestige at the time. Totally dodged a bullet.

Frankly, I think most of us wanted LVG. But we got something so much better. We should genuflect every day in gratitude that we didn't end up with that walnut faced twat. For sure we would not be breathing flames down the neck of the top placed club if we had brought him in. & we would have had a spending bill that would have sent our chairman into devil mode. We didn't only dodge a bullet...we dodged a blank.

Agree 100%. The only issue I have with Poch is that if he leaves it will be the worst moment as Spurs fan, far worse than Bale/Modric leaving. I can only see us developing as a club on and off the pitch with him. He set the standard and any replacement manager will be judged by that standard.

Poch obviously ain't Fergie despite the transformation of the club as we ain't won anything yet and it's early days but it does give you a window onto the feelings of United fans and how it must have been when he left and just how disappointing it is to have only average managers.
Will he leave, though? He has carte blanche at Spurs to do what he thinks is right. Where else will he get that? And his style is one where egos don't fit in and super hard work is required. So he won't be tempted to go somewhere else because he can sign megastars. Maybe he'd like to coach an elite team some day. But from what I'm seeing that elite team is one he's building himself right now. So unless Levy and the board screw him,I don't see him going anywhere. And I just can't see that happening either, if things keep going well.

I'm afraid we're stuck with him. :(

Last edited:
Think it's safe to say that Pochettino is the right coach for us. We are going places and for once it does not feel like short term fixes to try and scrape/luck a top 4 finish. It's dynasty building, the coach believes it, the players believe it, the fans are feeling it. We have a shiny new stadium coming in a few years. We've just put our most convincing league run together since the 1960s. The future is a lot brighter compared to the unknown for a lot of the big guns around us.

Perhaps this run and just falling short will spur us on to even greater things. The hunger to put right the failures of the past are definitely in place with this club for once.

As great as it is to know Poch wants to build our squad with an English core, are there actually any English players we could sign this summer?

Aside from Berahino (and I don't think we'll go for him now), I can't really think of any! That Coventry lad maybe?

Think it's safe to say that Pochettino is the right coach for us. We are going places and for once it does not feel like short term fixes to try and scrape/luck a top 4 finish. It's dynasty building, the coach believes it, the players believe it, the fans are feeling it. We have a shiny new stadium coming in a few years. We've just put our most convincing league run together since the 1960s. The future is a lot brighter compared to the unknown for a lot of the big guns around us.

Perhaps this run and just falling short will spur us on to even greater things. The hunger to put right the failures of the past are definitely in place with this club for once.
It's all about gaining experience at this point, I think the team now know what's required of them in terms of game management and what's required to win titles.

It's all about gaining experience at this point, I think the team now know what's required of them in terms of game management and what's required to win titles.

Same as watching the Chavs lift the League Cup last season, this is what you can achieve... Obviously more than the League Cup, losing hurts and hopefully it will spur these players on to improve again. We are in a very good position. It'll be interesting to see if Leicester still have a lot of their main players from this year still around if better offers come in. The likes of Mahrez and Kante will be tested when the big guns come calling. I think we'll be in better health and be able to resist selling anyone that is coveted. So Long as Pochettino sticks around I think we'll have plenty of glorious days ahead of us.

As great as it is to know Poch wants to build our squad with an English core, are there actually any English players we could sign this summer?

Aside from Berahino (and I don't think we'll go for him now), I can't really think of any! That Coventry lad maybe?

That winger from Hartlepool, Jack something, is supposed to be pretty good. Classic no.11.

Back
Top Bottom