Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Embarrassingly I was advocating LVG and didn't want Poch

:thumbdown:

Still my medication has now been sorted
:gazza:

LVG does have a world class record, I was not against him coming here at the time. Holland looked good in the World Cup just prior and we really need a top manager to sort out this club. I always knew he was crazy but it's more he's been crap in the prem.

Without a doubt Poch is the best decision Levy has made as the chairman. Ruthless when required in terms of clearing out the deadwood and wonderful tactical development of the squad. You can see he has a vision and the ability to put the vision in practice.

Agreed Tomo

I completely underestimated him and still pinching myself at how good we are!

Accumulated enough Brownie points for Monday nite

:sonlol:

The first page of this thread is fucking hilarious. I'll spare the guilty and won't use their names, but just get a load of this:

"If Pochettino becomes available after all this falling out in Southhampton we should make a move for him...it would be the fastest way to regain the "vision" the club lost when it fired AVB. His side plays plenty of attractive football and is a manager that we can build bigger and better things around. I want this to happen. #endtheexodus #Holtby #Capoue"

"Would be the next Ramos for us....face it mate were cursed."

"Southampton fans cannot wait to get shot of him. They actually want to gift wrap, and give him to us. Ominous. Look at their form in the league, its shit.

If it aint broken, dont try and fix it. Im happy with the way it is going."

"I don't think Pochettino is the answer to our problems. I'd rather stick with Sherwood and hope he can keep the team together until Van Gaal is done with the World Cup"

"No thanks. I used to rate him before, but not anymore. Not to mention that they are on a downward spiral in the league right now, just like Swansea are with Laudrup, another overrated coach in my opinion.

He is way too similar to AVB in that he is a young and unproven manager. Based on that alone, Levy will not go for him. Sherwood beat him with a team that was just recovering after a 5-0 home loss and going down in the cup against a team that is relegation fodder this season.

He would definitely not be an improvement over Sherwood. At least Sherwood knows the players really well and seems to be able to communicate better with them than AVB. Pochettino doesn't even speak English that well."

"Was at St. Mary's when we played them away. They were by far the worst organised defensive unit (and yes, I'm including their pressing) we have played against this season."

"Anyway, about Pocchetino. Im team Timmy at the moment, so this thread to me is irrelvant and rather unappreciative to what we have achieved in the league thus far."

"Anyway no thanks I would rather stick and see where Tim takes us and hopefully a young english manager can get us some good results before now and the end of the season to shut these fucking idiots up who think all foreigners are either god like players or managers."

"can't see any reason to fire sherwood for an underperforming young manager.."

"Couldn't be more uninterested. He seems like an alright manager but why would we want to bring in a THIRD manager this year for someone who is just okay. Especially when we're on a good run. "

"More high line Bullshit??? No thanks."

"Would rather wait for Louis Van Gaal. Not often Spurs have the opportunity to employ one of the greatest managers of all time."

"I think an experienced manager is what we need now, continuing or starting (whatever you like) our way to the top, being top 4 or even higher. Don't think Pochettino is the answer. Call me biased but i would like to see van Gaal as new manager; experienced, clear football philosophy, attractive football and knows what is needed at a top club. Also a realistic option as he stated himself that he is very interested.

However this topic is about Pochettino. Would be a big gamble with so little experience, could be a second AVB."

Does that sum up why we're all here and not managing premier league football clubs?

Actually it more likely shows how we don't know the players as much as we'd love to think.

Either way, fantastic stuff.

VirginiaSpur VirginiaSpur I'd forgotten Ol'Timmy had so many supporters on here :pochlol:

I think at the time from memory people had become tired of the managerial merry go round at the club and after the Redknapp sacking and AVB no one trusted Levy with appointments.

The issue with Sherwood was his big mouth but the results weren't totally awful apart from Liverpool if I remember. Perhaps a resignation this is as good as it gets.

I don't think many Spurs fan believed that we could get a manager remotely this good.

The issue with Sherwood was his big mouth but the results weren't totally awful apart from Liverpool if I remember.
A lot of the results were awful. Liverpool stands out of course, but we were completely disorganized under Sherwood and some of his selections and how he had some players positioned was fucking pathetic. If I remember correctly, the best example of this was playing Chadli and Sigurdsson together as the midfield pairing of a 4-4-2.

Still, he had players playing freely - perhaps too freely - and at least we got a good half season out of Adebayor. We still got ripped open regularly though. We were just desperate at the time for some attacking play. ANY attacking play, and at the very least Sherwood did give that to us.

One thing I can honestly say is that I never, ever, wanted Dimbo as our coach, short or long term. I wanted Frank de Boer as our coach after LVG had turned us down. So glad no one from the club listens to fans views and got the right man in charge! I was dubious about the 5 year contract, however that is looking very astute considering how coveted Pochettino has now become.

Well played Daniel :levystare:

What he's done with this team in such a short period of time is nothing short of sensational. I think that from recent games you can tell the focus in training has been on the attacking side. We've tried to pass the ball a lot quicker and made a lot more runs in behind recently, against Stoke our attack was so fluid and beautiful. I can't wait to see what happens when it all truly comes together

A lot of the results were awful. Liverpool stands out of course, but we were completely disorganized under Sherwood and some of his selections and how he had some players positioned was fucking pathetic. If I remember correctly, the best example of this was playing Chadli and Sigurdsson together as the midfield pairing of a 4-4-2.

Still, he had players playing freely - perhaps too freely - and at least we got a good half season out of Adebayor. We still got ripped open regularly though. We were just desperate at the time for some attacking play. ANY attacking play, and at the very least Sherwood did give that to us.

But that's the thing we were still far better than under AVB in the previous half of the season, we actual attacked, I wanted to slit my wrists watching what AVB was giving us. Poch was never going to be AVB by some people thought that as both play high press we may end up in the same situation.

Yeh the Liverpool tactics where a joke, what Sherwood was thinking I will never know.

In general this club has been player rich/manger poor certainly since I have been alive. Poch has shown what good management does.

But that's the thing we were still far better than under AVB in the previous half of the season, we actual attacked, I wanted to slit my wrists watching what AVB was giving us. Poch was never going to be AVB by some people thought that as both play high press we may end up in the same situation.

Yeh the Liverpool tactics where a joke, what Sherwood was thinking I will never know.

In general this club has been player rich/manger poor certainly since I have been alive. Poch has shown what good management does.
AVB season 1 though! Before we rip into his tactics, gave us Bale the unstoppable scoring machine. For that I am thankful, it's not his fault Bale left and the way he wanted to set the team up was changed and his targets were not purchased.

None of that actually matters now because we have Pochettino who is what I had hoped AVB could have been. A progressive, cultured young coach who can inspire us. Not some throwback 'proper football man nonsense! What does that actually mean anyway? :harrysmile::sherwoodlol::avbfu::pochsmirk:

I've got mates that have season tickets and when they can't go I get their tickets.
I've always been a member and I was offered a season ticket by the club at the end of the season Redknapp was sacked. So I thought 'fuck it' and took it up (I can't always give up Saturdays).
I gave it up after two seasons when I saw that grinning berk on the touchline. :sherwoodlol:
The football wasn't great, the atmosphere was shit and we'd blown millions on cack.
£900 for that? I was fuming after we'd made it to the CL finally and then blown it.

I thought AVB did ok but was dealt a shit hand but I'm beginning to change my mind about that. Remember he had Bale.

Pochettino has dealt with the cack and promoted youth which took bollocks.
I remember the fans chanting and telling Poch to play Kane at one point but he knows what he's doing (obviously).
And he has a proper plan. And I'm gutted I didn't renew now. There are better fans than me.

Spot on. First season under AVB was turgid but acceptable due to Bale brilliance and grinding out wins, first half of his second season was wristslashing stuff. Getting spanked by Liverpool and City by tennis figures.

Sherwood came in, gave us some exiciting wins against poor sides but lost the plot against top sides. 6 months of him was fine, but he should've never even have been considered for the long term.

What happened next was beautiful.

AVB season 1 though! Before we rip into his tactics, gave us Bale the unstoppable scoring machine. For that I am thankful, it's not his fault Bale left and the way he wanted to set the team up was changed and his targets were not purchased.
There were some amazing moments in that season, for sure, but it's worth contrasting that squad with now...

Rather than have *star player* plus 10 men to facilitate said player, we're just one big unit with brilliant quality everywhere.

Yes, Kane is our biggest goal scorer, and yes he's probably our most valuable player, but thank Christ we're not putting all of our hopes and dreams on his back and needing him to bail us out in the last minute with a wonder goal every other week.

Watching the Stoke match was so fun, partly because you felt like any of our players could do something special when they got the ball. Not just 'pass to Kane, pass to Kane, pass to Kane'.

Poch will be one of the best managers in world football. He'll be up there with the likes of Ferguson Guardiola and Mouronho IMO.

That's not a knee jerk on this season. The guy just oozes class. Fuck Mourinhio....this guy is the Special one.

Spot on. First season under AVB was turgid but acceptable due to Bale brilliance and grinding out wins, first half of his second season was wristslashing stuff. Getting spanked by Liverpool and City by tennis figures.

Sherwood came in, gave us some exiciting wins against poor sides but lost the plot against top sides. 6 months of him was fine, but he should've never even have been considered for the long term.

What happened next was beautiful.

Agree 100%. The only issue I have with Poch is that if he leaves it will be the worst moment as Spurs fan, far worse than Bale/Modric leaving. I can only see us developing as a club on and off the pitch with him. He set the standard and any replacement manager will be judged by that standard.

Poch obviously ain't Fergie despite the transformation of the club as we ain't won anything yet and it's early days but it does give you a window onto the feelings of United fans and how it must have been when he left and just how disappointing it is to have only average managers.

One thing I can honestly say is that I never, ever, wanted Dimbo as our coach, short or long term. I wanted Frank de Boer as our coach after LVG had turned us down. So glad no one from the club listens to fans views and got the right man in charge! I was dubious about the 5 year contract, however that is looking very astute considering how coveted Pochettino has now become.

Well played Daniel :levystare:

Agree normally a Levy managerial decision doesn't work but he got it spot on.

Well in LVG's case he just turned us down but like you I had De Boer as number 1 and Poch as my second choice after LVG went to United.

Back
Top Bottom