Man, if you lose Bentley…

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BENTLEY CONSIDERS SUMMER MOVE TO READING, HAS WORDS FOR HARRY

Citing his lack of playing time and the general malaise at the Tottenham Hotspur training grounds, former Woolwich Wunderkind David Bentley has lashed out at his current manager's man management skills. Furthermore, he has indicated that he plans on demanding a transfer in the summer window, preferably to Premier League-bound Reading.

PROMOTED SIDE NOT SO BAD

"Reading have shown that they are capable of winning something", explained Bentley, citing the Royals' famous surge to the top of the Championship, winning automatic promotion with three matches to play. "And these days, promoted teams do rather well in the Premier League. Spurs only managed 10 of 18 points off the newly promoted sides", he added, alluding to yesterday's humiliating 1–0 defeat at Loftus Road. By holding off Tottenham with only 10 men, QPR have pulled themselves out of the relegation zone.

With the UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules coming into effect, many football observers consider that the Premier League will become only more competitive than it already has been in recent years, which has seen newly promoted sides as well as relegation candidates routinely take points off the bigger clubs, with Wigan's defeat of Manchester United last week as only the most recent example.

"It's a shame that I feel like my footballing future is brighter at a side like Reading, but it seems obvious that neither I, nor basically anyone, has much of a future at White Hart Lane", complained Bentley, who, despite crucial work as a substitute in Spurs' thrilling chase for fourth place in 2009-10, has not featured in manager Harry Redknapp's plans since.

"I got to see some of Reading this season, and I am fully confident that the example set by Swansea is only the beginning", continued Bentley, who spent the first half of this season on loan at Championship side West Ham. "Everybody has gone on about how brilliantly the Swans have played this year. Reading will do better, and I hope to be able to contribute to that", he added.

MANAGEMENT ON STRIKE

When asked specifically why he wanted to leave Tottenham, who paid £15 million for the England international in 2008, Bentley was especially direct. "There has been no organisation, no control on the training ground for months. It is as though we are a ship without a captain. I spent an entire week in training trying to recreate the Roberto Carlos end line goal for my YouTube dossier", said the 27 year-old, referring to a nearly impossible goal scored by the Brazilian in 1998.

Commenting on Blackburn Rovers, who visit White Hart Lane next week, Bentley alluded to his former time at the club. "It would not surprise me to see a profile of me in our opposition scouting packets. No one seems to know what is going on anymore".

The players are turning their frustration inward, toward acting out in training. Bentley himself has featured most prominently for Tottenham this spring in a video clip released by teammate Sandro, in which he sputters a stream of Castilian obscenities at the camera. "We joke about striking from time to time", the Peterborough native remarked, "but management is already on strike. They would probably not notice if the players were outside holding picket signs".

Tottenham's alarming run of form since the resignation of Fabio Capello from England has seen Spurs toss away a 10-point lead above fourth-place Woolwich, slipping down to fifth, where their European dreams and fantasies of signing top continental talent this summer demand a bit of a reality check. Speculation has connected the vacancy with the slide based on manager Harry Redknapp's admitted desire for leaving Spurs to take the job of England manager.

"I wish I could say that the England business has been ruining the side, but it's too difficult to understand anything that is going on. All we know is that we show up every morning, run our drills, and then pretend we are playing FIFA12 all afternoon", confided the midfielder with seven caps, alluding to a popular football simulation video game.

Reminded that Redknapp himself has been pushing for a move to England for over a year, Bentley was more inclined to connect the vacancy with the spirit at the training ground. "Maybe it would have helped things if the gaffer had stepped aside as soon as the England stuff happened. I don't know. I was still hurt. I just know that things here are far, far different now than they were two years ago, and I know that it is time for everyone to move on, including myself".

if this is anything to go by... the entire staff needs the sack straight away... phoning in everyday work for months?! how can this be allowed... seriously...

wow if this is true its massively worrying, however i'm not really sure if i do believe it, i cant believe the bored would allow this to happen

Jesus freakin' Christ... IF this is accurate (and judging by the source material, either is possible) this 'interview' is nothing short of disgraceful, and I expect it won't be the last either... Harry probably only brought on Gio yesterday to stop HIM going to Press before the season ends...

we've fucking lost it....

Where's that from? Some of it sounds like a piss-take - especially that bit about Robrto Carlos's goal and FIFA 2012. I could believe the sentiment though.

considering how disgusting our form has been of late... and the fact we pretty much know the divi just tell our players to 'raan around a bit' coupled with the no set-piece training, this is very much plausible :harryfacepalm:

Lads, come on now:

"promoted side not that bad"
"former Woolwich Wunderkind"
"youTube dossier"

Did anyone honestly think any of that could be true?

AberdeenYid said:
Lads, come on now:

"youTube dossier"

I thought it might be based on something that was true, but that someone had changed the odd sentence - like they do. It didn't seem plausible that someone would write that many words about something completely made up for no reason ... but you learn something every day :)

AberdeenYid said:
Lads, come on now:

"youTube dossier"

Mate, to be fair, with the quality of football journalism today you could post an article about Dos Santos posting one of his turds to Levy in a bid for a starting place and it wouldn't be any more or less accurate than most of the garbage that appears in the tabloids.

Back
Top Bottom