Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mick Cooper Mick Cooper I always thought Redknapp was a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde in this respect. Seemed to have an inner circle who were more than happy, but completely shunned others inexplicably. This was a downfall IMO, as it meant later in the season when the squad needs to be used he was calling on outcasts who were disillusioned and out of shape.
Cant argue though, he is the best "Manager" (in the purer sense of the word) we have had in a very long time. Ill always maintain he could and should have done better but undeniably he had more of a handle on getting a group pulling in the right direction, motivated and so on that anyone else in the PL era.
There always seems to be cries of managers doing this - ie "alienating" players
Redknapp wasn't much of a rotation kind of guy, so he focused on the players he trusted to get the job done.
The lack of a 2nd team league to keep players match fit - and having 30 people on the subs bench isn't helpful either.
AVB got accused of the same thing, and even Sherwood has, I guess its something you will think is happening if a player you rate isn't getting first team action.

Last edited:
There always seems to be cries of managers doing this - ie "alienating" players
Redknapp wasn't much of a rotation kind of guy, so he focused on the players he trusted to get the job done.
The lack of a 2nd team league to keep players match fit - and having 30 people on the subs bench isn't helpful either.
AVB got accused of the same thing, and even Sherwood has, I guess its something you will think is happening if a player you rate isn't getting first team action.

I realise it happens as par for the course, rotation is a tricky thing to manage - to much vs to little.

I really felt with Redknapp though that he literally shunned very useful players, dispensed with them, until such a time as he needed them - at which point they were miserable and severely lacking match practice.

I realise it happens as par for the course, rotation is a tricky thing to manage - to much vs to little.

I really felt with Redknapp though that he literally shunned very useful players, dispensed with them, until such a time as he needed them - at which point they were miserable and severely lacking match practice.

Such as..?

At the risk of entering another yawn factor debate, but its relevant to this part of the thread, for all of his faults Redknapps biggest asset was his man management skill. He had the club on the rise straight away, without changes in the staff, and arguably the performances took a huge dip when it seemed to all that he was probably going to leave for the England job. Such is the impact of a charismatic leader. All of the quotes coming out of the club were from players lauding his ability to get the best out of them.
His drawbacks, as have been pointed out ad nauseum, were what led to his demise.
Anyone who manages, is employed for their ability to get the best out of their staff, by employing them in best fit positions to their skillset, and motivating them to do that job at the highest level, irrespective of its repetitive nature. To galvanise the workforce to work as a unit, enjoy the camaraderie of their co-workers and feel a part of the unit success are all factors that separate the poor from the great.
If the group loses those key components in their head, then the unit suffers due to a drop in effort, ambition and loss of emotional "buy-in" to the cause.
I doubt whether the needs of the shareholders ever becomes a factor in the eyes of the employees.

Spot on but also to be taken seriously, as the boss, I think someone like Keegan who has many of the attributes you describe above perhaps became too chummy with his players which perhaps led to them dropping their performance levels.

Main reason LVG wont sign for spurs is your history of firing coaches. He needs at least 1 year to get his way with the team (almost fired at bayern after a few months, AZ lost lot of games, barca was shite in the beginning). He will fuck over big names and introduce talents etc.

He dont care for money. Only his ego

Spot on but also to be taken seriously, as the boss, I think someone like Keegan who has many of the attributes you describe above perhaps became too chummy with his players which perhaps led to them dropping their performance levels.
100% right
Its always possible to remain friendly, without allowing the dividing line to become blurred. Once it gets rubbed out then the managers leadership becomes compromised.
Even talented, thinking people appreciate firm leadership - particularly if the decision making rationale is shared, without ever becoming a matter of open debate. Once you descend into being just one of the lads, then you have lost the respect and management control.

100% right
Its always possible to remain friendly, without allowing the dividing line to become blurred. Once it gets rubbed out then the managers leadership becomes compromised.
Even talented, thinking people appreciate firm leadership - particularly if the decision making rationale is shared, without ever becoming a matter of open debate. Once you descend into being just one of the lads, then you have lost the respect and management control.
Excellent post.

I think a lot depends on how Giggs does.. If they win their remaining matches with style then I think he has a good chance of getting the job.
The fans seem to want him, they could also mould him, where as a few egos at the club would feel threatened by someone as strong as LVG.

I think a lot depends on how Giggs does.. If they win their remaining matches with style then I think he has a good chance of getting the job.
The fans seem to want him, they could also mould him, where as a few egos at the club would feel threatened by someone as strong as LVG.
Red Nose has just came out and said that he's prepared to help Giggs out. For that reason alone I agree it may be a possibility. Ferguson essentially coaching Giggs to be coach while he's on the job. Stranger things have happened.

Red Nose has just came out and said that he's prepared to help Giggs out. For that reason alone I agree it may be a possibility. Ferguson essentially coaching Giggs to be coach while he's on the job. Stranger things have happened.

Exactly that. Ferguson would have no say what so ever with what LVG would do.
He would get told to shut up and mind his own business, as would anyone else who stuck their nose in, that's why I think Giggs has a chance because all the big egos on the board would still have a say in matters and could be involved.
Just one reason why LVG would be good for us, he would run the show himself and keep everyone else out of it.

Back
Top Bottom