Lewis Holtby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Back in September / October last year the german press was reporting about a clause in his loan contract that he would join HSV in the summer if he plays a number of games. So I`m sure he`s gone and we don`t have to miss him. To sell van der vaart and holtby to hamburg was bad for them (HSV) but not for us.

Love that clip from Holtby. He's a passionate lad with actual skills and would definitely have improved our squad over Paulinho, Capoue and possibly even Mousa. My guess is he demanded more and was thus shown the door. HSV has been shit for years and are in a downward spiral, Holtby being injured half the season hasn't helped him nor them.

The sad part is how far VdV has fallen though. A shell of his former self :vdvcry:

I find it funny how some would take digs at sandro and holtby ,calling them 'social media' players. But fck me, they really were a breath of fresh air. I don't know maybe in the grander scheme of things it makes a massive different to the fans morale having players who identify with the club and with them.

On that note, Holtby has always been a favourite of mine. He just needed some guidance,i can't see anything he couldn't have offered that bentaleb and Mason do.He is one player we should have persisted with.

I find it funny how some would take digs at sandro and holtby ,calling them 'social media' players. But fck me, they really were a breath of fresh air. I don't know maybe in the grander scheme of things it makes a massive different to the fans morale having players who identify with the club and with them.

On that note, Holtby has always been a favourite of mine. He just needed some guidance,i can't see anything he couldn't have offered that bentaleb and Mason do.He is one player we should have persisted with.
Definitely. German international and yet didn't train on. Very odd. Maybe there was something in training sessions that made the staff feel they couldn't develop him. If that was the case says more about the coaches....

Most of our players now (and coaching staff) speak broken English, so you wont get too much out of them social media wise apart from a google-translated tweet written by their agent.

Holtby has always been a favourite of mine. He just needed some guidance,i can't see anything he couldn't have offered that bentaleb and Mason do.He is one player we should have persisted with.

Don't worry the club still believes in him. :paulinholol:Seriously though, why are still loaning him out and developing him? :freund:By the time he returns he will still be a green 25 years and will be just getting into gear as a polished footballer. These days with players playing well into their 30s he may as well be just out of the womb. I can see him blossoming into a Varrati-type, the "regista", if you will, to Eriksen's "trequartista". I say carry on with his development, even if it is the last thing we do. really though, I cannot see why he should not have a future here, I like Mason a lot for example but he struggles to uproot ferns at times let alone trees. Not to speak of our beloved paulinho and the immaculate capoue.:paulinhofacepalm:

Holtby could & would have contributed as much as and most likely more than most of the average players we have in our midfield.

Something's not right, as so many coaches seem to not rate him, but watching him play generally gave me less concern than Paulhino / Lamela / Chadders ( of late )

Something's not right, as so many coaches seem to not rate him, but watching him play generally gave me less concern than Paulhino / Lamela / Chadders ( of late )
There was that ITK which made out Holtby was an annoying twat to be around (i.e. on the team bus, etc), so perhaps there wasn't as much love for him from the squad as there was on twitter/facebook.

His insistence on playing time over staying and fighting for his place seemed foolish to me (on his part); and I'm sure being a part of Hamburg sinking towards the German second division, complete with fan aggro, will have made him think twice about those decisions.

To think, 2 1/2 years ago he was a promising young player for Schalke, and we were so eager to see what he could do for us... football really does surprise you with how a player's career can unfold.
I just hope that we didn't ruin the kid's development.

I could never see what was so great about Holtby. He's never looked amazing, and he's not young enough that we could put up with him taking a while to develop as a player because he'll have plenty of years of playing to pay us back. He doesn't help fill the homegrown quota and he's an Everton fan. He seems like a nice guy but that's not good enough. I'd rather have a cunt who can deliver playing :adegrin2: than someone nice enough but hopelessly shite :soldadowtf:

I could never see what was so great about Holtby. He's never looked amazing, and he's not young enough that we could put up with him taking a while to develop as a player because he'll have plenty of years of playing to pay us back. He doesn't help fill the homegrown quota and he's an Everton fan. He seems like a nice guy but that's not good enough. I'd rather have a cunt who can deliver playing :adegrin2: than someone nice enough but hopelessly shite :soldadowtf:
I dont see problem with holtby being evertonian. When we drew with everton for exame, holtby expressed satisfaction with a draw. If we drew every game for rest of our history, there is a good chance never to be relegated.

You say you do not like that he is friendly but shite? to qualify for europe via fair play liga, we will need slightly friendly players. Having the lewis holtby is highly strategic in this regard

Holtby having a strong game (1 assist) as Hamburg looks likely to have performed 'the great escape' AGAIN. If they stay up, the permanent transfer will be announced shortly.

Just need to win the playoff games, and they will if they can play like they did today. They played better than what they have all season (the games I have seen).

Tbh. I liked the idea of Holtby at Spurs, but it hasn't worked out. Better for all parties if they stay up and we get a decent price for him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom