Lewis Holtby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Love him. Think he could be a good squad player for us, he has the ability to play any role behind Kane.

My only concern is he hasn't looked the player he was at Schalke - not with us, Fulham, or Hamburg.

If he can only fit into a select system, he isn't for us I'm afraid.

But he's got to be a better option than Pauli, Capoue etc. At least he gives a fuck about the club and works his bollocks off.

Love him. Think he could be a good squad player for us, he has the ability to play any role behind Kane.

My only concern is he hasn't looked the player he was at Schalke - not with us, Fulham, or Hamburg.

But he's got to be a better option than Pauli, Capoue etc. At least he gives a fuck about the club and works his bollocks off.

I think tbh, at the current form, we need to look for better players than the three of them!

Did you see S04 against Madrid last night? Holtby would never get into that team

Did anyone actually watch Holtby in that mythical Shalke period? Seems like a lot of hype about nothing to me.

Schalke 04[edit]
Holtby left Alemannia Aachen after five years and signed a four-year contract with Schalke 04 until 30 June 2013. In January 2010 he was loaned out to VfL Bochum to get more playing experience.
In May 2010, Holtby returned to Schalke 04 and at the end of the month he was loaned out to FSV Mainz 05 for the 2010–11 season.
In March 2011, Horst Heldt announced that Holtby would return to the club at the end of June.
In August Holtby scored his first goal for Schalke in a 5–1 win over 1. FC Köln.

Schalke announced that Holtby would not extend his contract which would expire at the end of the 2012–13 season.
In the January 2013 transfer window, Tottenham Hotspur announced that Holtby would be joining the English Premier League club in July 2013. In Holtby's first game following the announcement on 18 January, he scored the winning goal for Schalke in a 5–4 defeat of Hannover 96.

Seems to me he was loaned out twice and then sold in January.

Just one of those players who will only ever be a squad player. A decent one off the bench none the less, but at 24, his career tells the whole story about the player.
Six clubs and at least 9 managers cant all be missing something.

Did anyone actually watch Holtby in that mythical Shalke period? Seems like a lot of hype about nothing to me.

Schalke 04[edit]
Holtby left Alemannia Aachen after five years and signed a four-year contract with Schalke 04 until 30 June 2013. In January 2010 he was loaned out to VfL Bochum to get more playing experience.
In May 2010, Holtby returned to Schalke 04 and at the end of the month he was loaned out to FSV Mainz 05 for the 2010–11 season.
In March 2011, Horst Heldt announced that Holtby would return to the club at the end of June.
In August Holtby scored his first goal for Schalke in a 5–1 win over 1. FC Köln.

Schalke announced that Holtby would not extend his contract which would expire at the end of the 2012–13 season.
In the January 2013 transfer window, Tottenham Hotspur announced that Holtby would be joining the English Premier League club in July 2013. In Holtby's first game following the announcement on 18 January, he scored the winning goal for Schalke in a 5–4 defeat of Hannover 96.

Seems to me he was loaned out twice and then sold in January.

Just one of those players who will only ever be a squad player. A decent one off the bench none the less, but at 24, his career tells the whole story about the player.
Six clubs and at least 9 managers cant all be missing something.
Ok, I'll bite on this one sammy.

First off, no. I never watched Schalke, but whatever. He was young and out on loan (nothing unusual), where he repeatedly impressed, and came back to Schalke where he established himself as a starter midway through his first full season in the first team, and continued as a starter until halfway through his second season, when he had let his contract run out and came to us.

He did really well at each of his loan moves by all accounts and steadily worked up that ladder and eventually earned a shot in the first team. There's nothing unusual about that and it is disingenuous to suggest that several loan moves before the age of 20 suggests that he failed repeatedly and could never earn the faith of a manager. In his final season and a half at Schalke he made nearly 70 appearances when they finished third in the league in the 11-12 season, and fourth in the league in the 12-13 season when he joined us halfway through, which suggests that your assessment of the situation is inaccurate.

By all accounts the Schalke fans and management were very upset that they were unable to keep him, but he had broken into the first team with very little time left on his contract, which he purposefully let run down.

That being said, I am disappointed how he has turned out for us and I'm not trying to protect his lack of performance for us or anything like that, but trying to rewrite the history of his time in the Bundesliga doesn't seem very wise, either.

Did you see S04 against Madrid last night? Holtby would never get into that team
A few years ago, he would've.

Schalke have actually not been that great under Di Matteo. Their style of play is certainly more negative than it has been in previous seasons. Don't judge them based on 1 leg of a Champions League game, I watch them every week.

I did. He was excellent. Draxler, Holtby and Farfan behind Huntelaar worked really well.

Very angry interaction with the Hamburg fans.

From Google translate, what he is roughly saying is:

"Yes I'll stay here! I do not want this club to go down. I tell you, yes I want to rip my arse (no idea what that means. :adelol:) Come every day to training and look and see what I'm doing. I'm trying to get out of this shit. I am only human!"

Edit: not sure if the video/link is working.

where did it all go wrong? it seems only yesterday young lewis was hanging out with bale and winning penalty shootouts with steffen freund on the tottenham social media

Back
Top Bottom