Lewis Holtby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree with you on some points but he is not as awful as you make him out to be but if thats your opinion that fine i just like the fact that he can play any position in the midfield maybe not to your standard but you need these kind of players in your team he is not the first on your team sheet neither mine but like chadli very versatile and could be important if our team become ravaged with injuries.

Never said he was awful. I am calling him very average. Yes it is my opinion, but it seems to be reflected in his previous transfer value, his current transfer estimates, and his being shopped around by the team. At least I think those all point to the view about his ability.

You do need these kind of players on your team. You need depth, but you don't need THIS player specifically. I think especially if Schniederlin and JRod come in, there will be no room for him as he's all ready not very crucial.

I think we have Paulinho, Chadli, Dembele and now mason if we are looking for versatility. But again all just my opinion and assessment of the current goings ons being reported.

£1.5m...

:dembele:

Right.... that's what I mean. You don't get very talented players for just 1.5 million regardless of contract. Teams generally don't let you agree with their players if they are actually of real value.

For instance with 1 year left on his contract we got Eriksen for 11 million. Thats a huge gap between the two prices and I think it's represented by the huge gap in talent between the two.

I don't wish to get involved in this discussion again, but I do think it worth mentioning at this point that I find it very unfair to Holtby for a variety of reasons to continually be compared to Eriksen. They don't prefer the same position, and as of yet it doesn't appear Poch intends to play them in that same position either.

Right.... that's what I mean. You don't get very talented players for just 1.5 million regardless of contract. Teams generally don't let you agree with their players if they are actually of real value.

For instance with 1 year left on his contract we got Eriksen for 11 million. Thats a huge gap between the two prices and I think it's represented by the huge gap in talent between the two.

players are allowed to look for a new club when their contract has 6 months to run

off the top of my head, talented players who ran down their contract and left on a free - lewandowski, cashley, judas cunt faggot prick, ballack, big brad... shall i continue?

Well no, they're not the same thing.

Holtby was leaving on a free, we'd already agreed terms with him. So it was either Schalke lose a player immediately and have some money to put towards replacing him in that window, or they wait until the end of the season and have no extra funds to replace him. He was a first team player for them during that season, the fee is just a reflection of his contract and Levy being Levy.

Eriksen is a completely different example, and not really comparable. Eriksen was (is?) an Ajax 'legend' and he wouldn't have left the club on a free, he would have signed a new contract so that Ajax were entitled to a transfer fee he felt they deserved for coaching him.

Man the arguments in here are pretty silly.

I think it is CLEAR that Holtby is an AVERAGE player. His pressing and through balls are perhaps above average but the rest of his game is not. He is very limited, loses the ball or gives up possession often, is prone to mistakes, is prone to frantic runs with no purpose and his game can turn sloppy at any given moment.

Spurs only payed 1.5 or 2 million for him. While he did only have 6 months or whatever left on his contract, this price still reflects his ability level and his value to the rest of the football world.

There were hardly any other suitors for him, another part of the reason we got him for 1.5 mil.

Right now at most he would be worth around 6m pounds I would say, and that is giving him a huge wiggle room where I don't really know if you could sell him for more than 5.

He has looked completely average in preseason and his game does not look to have progressed much at all. Even against Chicago, he played a completely average and dull game. His pass for goal was a pretty standard play. It didn't ooze creativity or anything, nor does Holtby.

It is very evident the Spurs don't really have too much stock in him and it definitely seems as if he will be surplus to requirements. I believe they are shopping him around and hoping to use him as a makeweight in a transfer. If they can't do that I definitely believe he will be loaned.

He really does not have a big place on this team. He would likely be one of the last subs used in PL games if he even makes the bench for them. I could see him getting some game time in the EL or Cup games, but I think those chances would be limited.

We have many players who are more creative than Holtby. The only thing we will miss is his energy and pressing. But I think those are two traits which are fairly easy to replace with a better quality player who can also add more.

I think anyone who believes Holtby is a crucial part of this team is in for a rude awakening.

Not sure I can take a post seriously that refers to 'the Spurs'...

:lennon:

By your logic, Andy Caroll is more than 3 times the player Eriksen is. :eriksenlol:

I see Holtby got a new haircut ...

july30_730k.jpg

#LamelaFactor :lamelashock: :holtbytongue:

Holtby looks like a guy who applies himself in training whenever you see photos.

Good stuff

This is mostly what I think the fans like about him - certainly myself:

Always gives every last drop of energy, looks to really enjoy his football, trains hard, always desperate to play rather than sit around, doesn't take himself too seriously.

If some talents that have passed through us before had the same attitude (Bentley, Dos Santos, etc.) then they would have no doubt been far better footballers.

So, after watching almost the entire preseason I'm still not sure how Holtby is going to fit into the team. I imagine he'll be played in cup games and Europa and used as a sub, but is that really enough? I feel as if that's putting him on the path to leaving. This guy clearly wants 1st team football. Maybe he should be sitting next to a CDM and playing box to box? Capoue with Holtby next to him would certainly be interesting to watch, though I'm not sure it's the best idea. I wish that someone would actually ask Poch a question such as, "how do you plan on implementing the overflowing number of midfielders you have?" And of course to get a real answer. Pretty sure we're got the front of the field covered, but towards the back I still am very unsure of who will be in there.

So, after watching almost the entire preseason I'm still not sure how Holtby is going to fit into the team. I imagine he'll be played in cup games and Europa and used as a sub, but is that really enough? I feel as if that's putting him on the path to leaving. This guy clearly wants 1st team football. Maybe he should be sitting next to a CDM and playing box to box? Capoue with Holtby next to him would certainly be interesting to watch, though I'm not sure it's the best idea. I wish that someone would actually ask Poch a question such as, "how do you plan on implementing the overflowing number of midfielders you have?" And of course to get a real answer. Pretty sure we're got the front of the field covered, but towards the back I still am very unsure of who will be in there.
Ben, stop it now. You're turning into a misery guts. Cheer the fucking fuck up my man. And just stop it with those negative vibes. Please bro', as one fan to another?

Ben, stop it now. You're turning into a misery guts. Cheer the fucking fuck up my man. And just stop it with those negative vibes. Please bro', as one fan to another?

This was meant as a legitimate question. My biggest reason for being excited for the season to start at this point is to see the first lineup! haha!

Back
Top Bottom