Kyle Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like Walker, but fuck me does he give away free kicks in dangerous areas!

So does everyone else. In fact, had Vertonghen given one away for fouling Mahrez outside the box instead of letting him run easily we probably win the game on Saturday.

I still find the calls for Trippier to come in and start ahead of KW ridiculous, glad it won't happen barring injury. Trippier will get game time in the cups first and foremost so I don't understand why he's put in some preferred XI's game after game in the league.

So does everyone else. In fact, had Vertonghen given one away for fouling Mahrez outside the box instead of letting him run easily we probably win the game on Saturday.

I still find the calls for Trippier to come in and start ahead of KW ridiculous, glad it won't happen barring injury. Trippier will get game time in the cups first and foremost so I don't understand why he's put in some preferred XI's game after game in the league.

They both had each others shirts. Poch could lurch from one issue to another if he keeps replacing players like Bentleb, Jan etc if they have a bad couple of games. I think rip it up and start again is risky. Another 2 terrible games then think about it.

Last season was a frustrating one for Kyle Walker.

The Tottenham and England full-back spent the best part of nine months out with a hip injury, unable to show the best of himself to new manager Mauricio Pochettino.

Even when Walker did return, it was short-lived thanks to a foot injury that ruled him out from April until the end of the season. This lack of game time, coupled with Kieran Trippier’s arrival from Burnley over the summer, led to whispers that Walker’s stint at Tottenham could be nearing an end. But the 25-year-old put in the graft in pre-season, to prove he was ready to play an important role at White Hart Lane this campaign.

On the day we meet, Walker is proving his worth off the pitch too. Wearing a Tottenham branded apron, he’s behind the counter of one of the concession stands at the stadium, serving up cheese pasties and hot dogs to a group of excited youngsters with the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation. The idea is to help prepare the unemployed young people with the foundation to do the job themselves because, as of last Saturday’s game against Liverpool, they now run the stand at every home game. While they pick up valuable skills, the club ensures all proceeds go directly back into the foundation.

Once he’s finished serving – and posing for selfies – Walker takes off his pinny and tells us why Tottenham have all the ingredients to make this season a success.

The club started the season with one defeat and three draws before winning a game. Was the manager happy with that, or concerned about the wait for a victory?

“In-house, there were no worries. If we had beaten Manchester United [Tottenham lost at Old Trafford on the opening day] and lost three, then maybe it would be something to think about. Apart from the Stoke game, when we were 2-0 up at home and drew 2-2, our season so far has been relatively good. We’re a team that’s building for the future, but we can do big things this season as well.”

Are you back to where you were before the injury in terms of form and fitness?

“I probably feel the best I have in a good two years. It was one of those injuries no one could put their finger on. We tried every avenue before I went to surgery, but by then it looked like the only option. Touch wood, nothing has come back since. I can sneeze now without it being painful. Last season was stop-start for me, but I have a good pre-season behind me this time and I feel fresh and fit.”

Some of Mauricio Pochettino’s former players have said how tough his training sessions are. Is that having an impact on Tottenham’s fitness levels?

“I think the statistics show that: we outrun teams. And it’s better for us because we’re a young team. The more experienced players probably couldn’t handle what we do, so it’s lucky we haven’t got too many old heads [laughs]. He’s one of those managers whose door is always open. I know a lot of managers say that, but his really is. If you’ve got a problem in football, or even outside of it, you can always go and talk to him. Those man-management skills are vital for young players like we have. It’s critical to develop the squad, but we also need to develop as individuals.”

Has he brought in new training methods?

“He’s brought a few new things into the gym. One is basically a platform that you’re attached to with elastic cords and the quicker you run away from it, the quicker it pulls you back. So you’re working against your own force. I can work on accelerating, decelerating and changing direction – it’s helping my game.”

No team has looked infallible this season. Do you think that gives Tottenham a good chance of breaking into the top four?

“It’s difficult. It’s not like the Championship, but it’s not far off now because a lot of teams are beating a lot of teams. We just have to do the basics well, do what we’re doing in training and we’ll see where we are at the end of the season. Obviously everyone wants to play top-four football, but there are only four spaces and 20 teams.”

Tottenham are away to Anderlecht in the Europa League on Thursday before playing Bournemouth on Sunday. How are the team managing Europe this season?

“We’ve got used to it. It’s just normal now. We’re young, we’re fit, we have two days’ recovery and then we go again. I want to play as much football as possible and I’m sure the rest of the lads agree, so there’s no excuses. Okay, we might be a bit tired [on Sunday], and need to manage the game a bit differently, but our quality should still come through.”

Is the mental tiredness more difficult to manage than the physical side?

“Spot on. You travel, you train, you play, you travel back. It’s not your legs that are affected, it’s your mind, because you’re here, there and everywhere. But we are professionals and we have a job to do whether we’re tired or not. If you’re tired, then manage yourself differently. Make sure that when you get home from that Thursday night game, you get enough rest, eat well and prepare right for the game coming up.”

There were a lot of departures from the club over the summer. Did you ever fear for your own place in the team?

“You have to back yourself. Last season, when Ben Davies came in, me and Dan [Danny Rose] were wondering whether he’d play. In the end I’d say Danny was our standout player. Harry Kane got a lot of plaudits for the goals he scored, but Danny’s work ethic was second to none. I’ve tried to do the same as him this season. Kieran is a very good player, but you have to believe you’re better. I didn’t have the best season last year, so I had a lot to prove – not just to myself, but to the fans. And my dad, who’s my worst critic.”

Your dad’s your harshest critic?

“Yeah, he’ll tell me: you did well, but… you could do this or that better. It’s just what dads do, isn’t it? I think I’ll do it to my little boy. Not so much, maybe, but I will do it.”

You spent the first couple of years at Tottenham out on loan at Sheffield United, QPR and Aston Villa. How did that period shape you as a player?

“When you go out on loan as a youngster, at first you’re worrying about how the lads are going to take to you. But, once you get settled, in it’s a fantastic experience. QPR was probably what kick-started my career. They were winning every week and playing for Neil Warnock, who I’d played for at Sheffield United, gave me the confidence to just go out and play. But when Gerard Houllier wanted to take me to Villa, it was something I needed to do. I was in my comfort zone a bit in the Championship, so I wanted to see if I could take the next step. I did that, and got my England call-up a few months later. It’s vital to go out on loan and try to get that experience – not just on the field, but off it as well.”

Really rate Walker love the enthusiasm he has for spurs. He's been performing well all season and along with many others is one of the reasons we are on a good run.

So, anyone still backing Trippier over this guy?

:pochbye:
Always backed Walker and think he should be vice captain. When full backs make mistakes they are very visible but he gives so much to the team. A proven international versus a quite good full back from Burnley. Well it was frankly embarrassing people posting how they thought Trippier should have his place.

If he could just eliminate his one brain-fart a game, he'd be the best RB in the leauge.

He's crossing was excellent vs the Spammers. Not many matches you can say that.

Really rate Walker love the enthusiasm he has for spurs. He's been performing well all season and along with many others is one of the reasons we are on a good run.

He seems to have matured tactically as well. Whether it's Poch and his staff or just the wisdom of a few more years in the league, I couldn't say. But he used to seem to just bomb forward ALL THE TIME with no regard. He seems to have gotten smarter and choosing when to make the runs and when to remain an option further back.

Was a shame that his mistake took a little bit of the shine off a fucking superb performance from Walker yesterday.

The guy is like greased fucking lightning!!!!

So, anyone still backing Trippier over this guy?

:pochbye:
I was one of them :pochfacepalm:, wasn't a fan of Walker last year and although his pace helped him get out of trouble most of the time, it was mostly his decisions in the first place that were letting teams have chances etc.

I'll happily hold my hands up and say he's been one of the best performers this season and I was wrong. I can't think of another right back in the league I'd choose over him now.

Kyle played brilliantly for us against West Ham, with just the one dodgy moment that was well punished by Lanzini. He's so FAST! It helped that very often that side was entirely ignored by WHU, leaving him acres of space to run into.
Great ball retention, wonderful pace, intelligent use of the ball, dangerous crosses, and a peach of a goal to boot.
Miles better than Nathaniel Clyne, and I'm expecting him to be playing for England in the summer.

He's been good all season IMO: Dominated Ashley Young in the first PL game. Just about managed the tricky Jefferson Montero against Swansea. Kept Alexis Sanchez quiet. Next up: Eden Hazard. Easy. :S

He seems to have matured tactically as well. Whether it's Poch and his staff or just the wisdom of a few more years in the league, I couldn't say. But he used to seem to just bomb forward ALL THE TIME with no regard. He seems to have gotten smarter and choosing when to make the runs and when to remain an option further back.
I think it helps him knowing if he takes the risk in running way up the pitch he doesn't have to worry who is going to cover his position. Dier can slot in, Vert can move over, etc.

Back
Top Bottom