Kevin Wimmer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looking forward to seeing him play. Hopefully he does well and puts Jan under some pressure.

He's found himself in an unfortunate position - if he joined us 3-4 years ago he'd be instantly in the team, Jan was utter shit. But since Jan and Toby have such a good partnership you run into a dilemma. Give Wimmer game time which makes your team slightly weaker, but makes him happy? Or stick with Jan, have a stronger defensive but eventually need to replace Wimmer?

He'll end up leaving, which is a shame. Has a lot of quality and potential but simply isn't getting any game time, even when Poch could rest Jan he doesn't.

I think he's a realist... there's no way (on current form) he's gonna displace Toby or Jan... but if one (or both God forbid) are injured, he knows he has the ability to step in.

My only concern is the 'three at the back' system didn't really work with him in it... maybe, when he plays, we are more suited to a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 system, in which he can thrive, and ultimately help us!

When Jan comes back, then we can revert to the original 3-5-2 that has served us so well in recent weeks.

I think he's a realist... there's no way (on current form) he's gonna displace Toby or Jan... but if one (or both God forbid) are injured, he knows he has the ability to step in.

My only concern is the 'three at the back' system didn't really work with him in it... maybe, when he plays, we are more suited to a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 system, in which he can thrive, and ultimately help us!

When Jan comes back, then we can revert to the original 3-5-2 that has served us so well in recent weeks.
Spot on. Davies for 3 at the back. Wimmer 4 at the back.

How have you come to this conclusion? Based on a bad game against City?

1) He played in a 3 at the back away to gooner scum and we did pretty well. A 1-1 draw and we had the clearer chances to win it.

2) He played in a 3 at the back against Watford and we put in a great performance.

Granted Davies might be the better option in that position but to say the 3 at the back doesnt work with him in it is innacurate imo.

1) He played in a 3 at the back away to gooner scum and we did pretty well. A 1-1 draw and we had the clearer chances to win it.

2) He played in a 3 at the back against Watford and we put in a great performance.

Granted Davies might be the better option in that position but to say the 3 at the back doesnt work with him in it is innacurate imo.
He was all over the place against Chelsea away this season. He's been shit when playing left back for his country (I know discussion isn't LB but it shows his weakness without a player either side of him), in a 3 his positioning is very poor, he is easily moved out of position by oppo runs. It also seems to effect his decision making on comping out of the backline to win the ball, he over commits himself. While he has looked very, very good in a 4, in a 4 there are no poor performances that I recall.

Davies has excelled in a 3 with Wales. All the headlines went with Bale but I can put an argument forward that he was Wales best player in the Euro's (didn't watch them in qualifiers myself but reports suggest he was excellent in them too).

I just get the feeling he's a more 'old fashioned'/orthodox CB... one who's strengths are suited to a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 2CB's/2FB's system...

I actually rate him higher than many on here, it seems, but not in a 3-at-the-back, where you have to keep focus to what's to the Left/right of you, not just what's ahead of you.
He doesn't have as much protection from the FB's in a 3-at-the-back... whereas in a 4 at the back, I think he's slotted in fine.

...hang on...
"He played in a 3 at the back away to gooner scum and we did pretty well."

He scored an o.g FFS! How's that doing pretty well??

Anyway, my point stands... I think he's a perfectly adequate back-up CB... we just need to play to his strengths, rather than potentially weakening our back line, thass all... nothing sinister!

He was all over the place against Chelsea away this season. He's been shit when playing left back for his country (I know discussion isn't LB but it shows his weakness without a player either side of him), in a 3 his positioning is very poor, he is easily moved out of position by oppo runs. It also seems to effect his decision making on comping out of the backline to win the ball, he over commits himself. While he has looked very, very good in a 4, in a 4 there are no poor performances that I recall.

Davies has excelled in a 3 with Wales. All the headlines went with Bale but I can put an argument forward that he was Wales best player in the Euro's (didn't watch them in qualifiers myself but reports suggest he was excellent in them too).
Against chelski we bossed that game and i don't remember him being especially bad (could be wrong but just cant remember tbh).
Personally i do agree that Davies is probably the better choice in a back 3 but i don't agree with the notion that we/wimmer has looked poor in a 3.

I just get the feeling he's a more 'old fashioned'/orthodox CB... one who's strengths are suited to a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 2CB's/2FB's system...

I actually rate him higher than many on here, it seems, but not in a 3-at-the-back, where you have to keep focus to what's to the Left/right of you, not just what's ahead of you.
He doesn't have as much protection of the FB's in a 3-at-the-back... whereas in a 4 at the back, I think he's slotted in fine.

...hang on...

He scored an o.g FFS! How's that doing pretty well??

Anyway, my point stands... I think he's a perfectly adequate back-up CB... we just need to play to his strengths, rather than potentially weakening our back line, thass all... nothing sinister!
Eh? A cb can't have a decent game if he's scored an OG (that should have been ruled out for offside anyway)?

Wimmer deserves a chance for the way he stepped up last season.

Was that the first time he played that system for us? I still think the central midfield left us horribly exposed on Saturday in the first half, and the defence actually did their job.

He got lots of flack, but I still maintain Wanyama was the one getting done time and again while he was in the middle.

Hindsight says it was great the Big Vic went CB, as we now know he can play there and he was immense, however at the time I thought Wimmer should have stayed on with the half time shake up. It was great we could bring on Sissoko and Winks into the middle, which I why I guess Poch took the risk.

Id like to see him and Dier get the shout, and a revert to our normal formation until our backline is 100% fit

Against chelski we bossed that game and i don't remember him being especially bad (could be wrong but just cant remember tbh).
Personally i do agree that Davies is probably the better choice in a back 3 but i don't agree with the notion that we/wimmer has looked poor in a 3.
2nd half against Chelsea. We bossed the first half but that was because our Midfield and front 4 controlled the game (much like Citeh did to us On Sat). In the 2nd half they bypassed our midfield and carved us open, Mosses basically took the piss out of him 2nd half (they didn't dominate us but on balance they had created the better chances of 2nd half) Moses was their MOTM.

It is a small sample of games granted, but I'm very uncomfortable watching him in a back three, he looks panicked. In a four I don't feel this way, he looks in control, not on the edge. He looks comfortable and I enjoy his performances.

Wimmer deserves a chance for the way he stepped up last season.

Was that the first time he played that system for us? I still think the central midfield left us horribly exposed on Saturday in the first half, and the defence actually did their job.

He got lots of flack, but I still maintain Wanyama was the one getting done time and again while he was in the middle.

Hindsight says it was great the Big Vic went CB, as we now know he can play there and he was immense, however at the time I thought Wimmer should have stayed on with the half time shake up. It was great we could bring on Sissoko and Winks into the middle, which I why I guess Poch took the risk.

Id like to see him and Dier get the shout, and a revert to our normal formation until our backline is 100% fit
In general I agree with this. Our shape/formation contributed to how poor we were in the first half. Whilst Wanyama's first half wasn't his finest hour, he was completely out numbered, felt a bit sorry for him. Basically we were out numbered in every third of the pitch.

And my comments on Wimmer are specific when I have seen him in a 3 at the back before, felt like this about him before we even kicked a ball on Sat. and still do now. I've enjoyed everyone of this performances (including getting hammered against dortmund) in a four man defence.

Eh? A cb can't have a decent game if he's scored an OG (that should have been ruled out for offside anyway)?

They all count unfortunately... otherwise, by that logic, ArseAnal's 298th minute penalty would never even have been given yesterday 'cos the ball was offside before the offence... and yet it wasn't... and the pen was given... and thousands of Spurs-owned laptops were slammed shut in the very same moment!!

I'm not saying Wimmer had a bad game, he had a brain fart moment that either put him in the wrong place at the wrong time (or the right place at the wrong time, depending on your view on the offside!!) Either way, it was unfortunate!

I genuinely rate Wimmer, I really do... same as all of us rate Lloris... and yet he had a stinking 5 minutes on Saturday that would clear the bathroom for weeks!! Don't make him a bad GK!

Besides... apart from CCV, we haven't much choice other to put Wimmer in at the deep end for the next 6 weeks.
My only point was that for the games he plays in, I feel he's better suited to a 4-4-2 than a 3-5-2... which we are more than capable of playing...

...seriously, that's all... I love the guy... get off my case!
Love ya bruv!

They all count unfortunately... otherwise, by that logic, ArseAnal's 298th minute penalty would never even have been given yesterday 'cos the ball was offside before the offence... and yet it wasn't... and the pen was given... and thousands of Spurs-owned laptops were slammed shut in the very same moment!!

I'm not saying Wimmer had a bad game, he had a brain fart moment that either put him in the wrong place at the wrong time (or the right place at the wrong time, depending on your view on the offside!!) Either way, it was unfortunate!

I genuinely rate Wimmer, I really do... same as all of us rate Lloris... and yet he had a stinking 5 minutes on Saturday that would clear the bathroom for weeks!! Don't make him a bad GK!

Besides... apart from CCV, we haven't much choice other to put Wimmer in at the deep end for the next 6 weeks.
My only point was that for the games he plays in, I feel he's better suited to a 4-4-2 than a 3-5-2... which we are more than capable of playing...

...seriously, that's all... I love the guy... get off my case!
Love ya bruv!
That OG wasn't a brain fart moment to me. It was a reaction on instinct that 99% of cb's would do (especially with 2 opposition players breathing down his neck).
I do understand that you're not saying or even implying that Wimmer is a bad player though.

Back
Top Bottom