January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shame we will now lose out on all those unknown gems Mitchell and 'his' scouts got us from Germany, Belgium, Holland, Spain and Portugal.
Leicester lost Steve Walsh, yet no massive articles on how they'll lose out.
Scouting/recruiting jobs are usually a merry go round. They leave and arrive quite frequently.

Shame we will now lose out on all those unknown gems Mitchell and 'his' scouts got us from Germany, Belgium, Holland, Spain and Portugal.
Leicester lost Steve Walsh, yet no massive articles on how they'll lose out.
Scouting/recruiting jobs are usually a merry go round. They leave and arrive quite frequently.
Still all part of a Poch re-build for me. Time will tell but he is Manager now, he is the boss, finally Levy has a man he trusts to run football.

Just my theory and I'm sticking to it until we hire Sherwood as DoF/Sporting Director or whatever capacity we are looking for to replace Mitchell with.

:pochshock:

Wanyama? Alli? Toby?

They ain't been too shabby.

Not hard buys though.

Wanyama - A solid midfielder who had 2-3 years in the prem and who Poch had worked with before coming to end of his contract. Easy choice.

Toby - Great defender at Ajax, moved to Athletico Madrid where he wasn't made used of then went to Southampton and showed how incredible he was. Easy choice.

Alli - Talked up by the BBC 1-2 years before we even bought him as "the next Gerard". He was a regular 2 years before we bought him, at he age of 17-18. There was more talk about Alli than some of us seem to realise - for us he's the "Quality player out of the blue", wasn't really the case. Young English player with 24 goals in 88 games at the age of 18 for £5mil or so? Easy choice.

Son - One of the top scoring midfielders in Germany? Easy choice.

Lamela - One of the best young players in Europe, performing well at a high level and scoring a fair few goals? Expensive, but quality was plain to see.

The players where scouting was actually needed are: Lopez (Unknown), GKN (Unknown), Njie (Unknown, possible fail), Wimmer (Good player), Trippier (Good player), Dier (Very good player). Fazio, Stambouli, Yedlin all big failures.

Our set up is amazing at convincing gems to join us and more importantly to stay, but it isn't the best at finding them. Is it awful? Not at all, but some over-rate it. Toby, Wanyama, Alli didn't require a huge amount of thinking or digging to find.

Last edited:
Not hard buys though.

Wanyama - A solid midfielder who had 2-3 years in the prem and who Poch had worked with before coming to end of his contract. Easy choice.

Toby - Great defender at Ajax, moved to Athletico Madrid where he wasn't made used of then went to Southampton and showed how incredible he was. Easy choice.

Alli - Talked up by the BBC 1-2 years before we even bought him as "the next Gerard". He was a regular 2 years before we bought him, at he age of 17-18. There was more talk about Alli than some of us seem to realise - for us he's the "Quality player out of the blue", wasn't really the case. Young English player with 24 goals in 88 games at the age of 18 for £5mil or so? Easy choice.

Son - One of the top scoring midfielders in Germany? Easy choice.

The players where scouting was actually needed are: Lopez (Unknown), GKN (Unknown), Njie (Unknown, possible fail), Wimmer (Good player), Trippier (Good player). Fazio, Stambouli, Yedlin all big failures.

Our set up is amazing at convincing gems to join us and more importantly to stay, but it isn't the best at finding them. Is it awful? Not at all, but some over-rate it. Toby, Wanyama, Alli didn't require a huge amount of thinking or digging to find.
Fuck me, here's the black dog of doom again to piss all over our chips.

Cheer up will ya?

i love Dele, but from our best players he's the one i see force a way out to a major club in spain.:avbshit:praying to be wrong
I don't think so. Any English player with half a brain knows he can make more in England than he can anywhere else. If Dele forces a move, then it will be to Man United or Man City. IMO, the most likely player to force a move elsewhere is Alderweireld. Barca, Man City, and Man United all need a good defender, and he's one of the best in Europe. Sooner or later one of them will come to him with an offer....I just hope Levy works his magic and gets 60 million euros+ out of it, or Toby holds his ground and helps turn Spurs into a powerhouse.

Alli was scouted by Pleat, Wanyama and Toby were known quantities. The recruitment in the last couple of windows has been poor
You said our signings had been poor.
They haven't.
Frankly I don't care if we pick up players who are known quantities if the price is right & they perform. I'd rather have a Dele at £5 million than some of these foreign wonderkids for double or treble that amount. I think we've got it right for our squad & first team. If we are talking about scouting kids to join the academy, then once again, the production line seems to be working smoothly enough to me.

I know it's the Spammers, but how about the Payet situation? Could he be a good addition?
Not much of a system player but, hey, he's the type of CAM that can make plays out of nothing, and every team needs that.

Back
Top Bottom