January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still reckon it would be an inflated price. But stranger things have happened. Problem being, that we really don't have much leverage over anyone unless we start pretending like we don't need another striker, it would just be neat to have one. When someone has something you desperately need, and they're the only person with that something, they can ask for whatever they like in return for that something.

Even bum fun. :llorisunsure: :levywtf:

Well, there's no such thing as only one club having that something is there? Unless it gets leaked that Poch really, really want a specific striker then that's not the case. As much as it frustrates us all to hell and back twice a year, the one and only good thing about Levy's negotiation style is that every club in Europe will know, that he won't be held to ransom.

If he was their best striker, they would play him as a striker. If it's a personal gripe then they wouldn't play him at all. But when you're a team like WBA who are going to struggle, you play your best players in their best position. Not out of position where they play terribly to prove some kind of point.
He's joint topscorer and not even being played as a striker. There's no doubt he's the best striker in West Brom, go on to their forums I'll bet you they say the same as me. He's being played in a very defensive side, imagine if he was just given an ounce of freedom. He'd be a good fit for Tottenham, hope we sign him

Well, there's no such thing as only one club having that something is there? Unless it gets leaked that Poch really, really want a specific striker then that's not the case. As much as it frustrates us all to hell and back twice a year, the one and only good thing about Levy's negotiation style is that every club in Europe will know, that he won't be held to ransom.

My thinking behind them going after Michy boils down to one thing really. Bielsa brought him in to Marseille and because of that Poch wants him.

I don't grudge him it. It feels rare to me that I feel totally conned when we buy someone. Soldado at the time seemed like a fair price for a good player. Lamela seemed steep, but given the season he just had and his importance to Roma it seemed like a good deal as well.

I find it bizarre that anyone is trying to reach any conclusion regarding Clinton, either positive or negative, after the paltry minutes he's played for us. A youngster with potential from another country adapting to another league who has barely played in the short time he's been here...Poch at least will have an early idea of his attitude and if he trains well but even he won't know yet whether he's good enough. I doubt Poch will know this season even. We'll just have to wait and see. What seems likely is that he won't be the right guy to replace Kane this season if he gets injured, so we need to sign someone suitable.

Berahinho is a true striker, I'd say. Could be very good, or average. Not sure which. Personally I think the money being talked about is way too much for where he's at right now. I'd rather we looked elsewhere.

He seems to be the sort of forward who would work very well in our system. And he's already used to pressing.

Players that have come out of that team recently have proven to do well in the Premiership. He has defensive issues, but I think that's something that can be worked on. Hell, if Eriksen is starting to show some defensive qualities ANYONE can get better defensively under Poch.

Berahino will be nothing but a prima-donna in my opinion, and he'd only be second fiddle to Kane.

I can only imagine the shit he'd cause if he wasn't playing where and when he wanted

In a perfect world...

Hot damn this would be amazing, but I am not going to believe this at all.
For now.

Tan05vK.png

Am I completely mental in thinking Poch may be the guy to bring round and harness the talents of Mario Balotelli?

EDIT - Yea, I am. Scratch that. Embolo would be lovely, he won't come until the summer though.

I find it bizarre that anyone is trying to reach any conclusion regarding Clinton, either positive or negative, after the paltry minutes he's played for us. A youngster with potential from another country adapting to another league who has barely played in the short time he's been here...Poch at least will have an early idea of his attitude and if he trains well but even he won't know yet whether he's good enough. I doubt Poch will know this season even. We'll just have to wait and see. What seems likely is that he won't be the right guy to replace Kane this season if he gets injured, so we need to sign someone suitable.

Berahinho is a true striker, I'd say. Could be very good, or average. Not sure which. Personally I think the money being talked about is way too much for where he's at right now. I'd rather we looked elsewhere.

Stop speaking so much sense on this thread! This is for bold judgments on 5 minute YouTube clips

Embolo looked pretty good for Switzerland when he came on against England. He's so young, but he's the exact type of signing we should be making. That raw potential ability to be an absolute superstar. Plus he can play up front or out wide so suits our style.

Maybe this will put the Austin wanters to sleep a little, if it's true:
From a Guardian article: Mauricio Pochettino has Tottenham happy in their new skin | David Hytner

Levy told Pochettino he could get Charlie Austin from Queens Park Rangers and he believed he could do so for less than the £15m fee that had been quoted. Austin had scored 18 Premier League goals the previous season. He had earned an England call-up. At the very least, he looked like a decent option in Tottenham’s hour of need.

Pochettino was not interested. He told Levy that Austin, good player though he was, would not represent a fit for his team. He would prefer to make do with what he had, to adapt other players if necessary. He would not add for the sake of adding and, for him, it was not only to do with quality over quantity but instead, specific qualities.

Maybe this will put the Austin wanters to sleep a little, if it's true:
From a Guardian article: Mauricio Pochettino has Tottenham happy in their new skin | David Hytner

Levy told Pochettino he could get Charlie Austin from Queens Park Rangers and he believed he could do so for less than the £15m fee that had been quoted. Austin had scored 18 Premier League goals the previous season. He had earned an England call-up. At the very least, he looked like a decent option in Tottenham’s hour of need.

Pochettino was not interested. He told Levy that Austin, good player though he was, would not represent a fit for his team. He would prefer to make do with what he had, to adapt other players if necessary. He would not add for the sake of adding and, for him, it was not only to do with quality over quantity but instead, specific qualities.
It's key that we find a striker Poch wants and that will cost what Levy considers acceptable. It shouldn't be impossible, even if we made it look like that in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom