January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cripps14 said:
ArcspacE said:
Llorente would be an immense signing

I wish we stood half a chance

Perhaps we can offer them free Tesco vouchers from the new supermarket and a old chirpy suit along with the standard 9m offer

I thought the supermarket was going to be a Sainsbury's?!? :gomes:

The deal would be agreed for £9m + chirpy suit + Sainsbury's vouchers, and at the last minute Levy would stall and change the deal to instead include computers for schools vouchers.

:levystare:

IsraeliYid said:

Talksport are very reliable....

45333329-dat-ass-.gif

ArcspacE said:

Perhaps we can offer them free Tesco vouchers from the new supermarket and a old chirpy suit along with the standard 9m offer

As he's in the last year of his contract, can't we approach him in January anyway?

The only real drawback is that Bielsa is making a right mess of Athletic and could well be gone before any of the players.

MKYid said:
ArcspacE said:

As he's in the last year of his contract, can't we approach him in January anyway?

The only real drawback is that Bielsa is making a right mess of Athletic and could well be gone before any of the players.

I would argue the want-a-ways have been responsible for this mess just as much

Don't forget Martinez' exit to Bayern Munich

Does anyone still care about "Mouts"?

Id like to develope Dembele/Sandro in the middle. They look great, and I think will be creative AND powerfull. Id hate to get a great thing going, and upset the cart with a 30M "Modric replacement" in January, who will be expected to play, more so than Lloris.

We also have Parker, Hudd and Livermore to fall back on. Id rather spend that money elsewhere at this moment in time.

ArcspacE said:
MKYid said:
ArcspacE said:

I would argue the want-a-ways have been responsible for this mess just as much

Don't forget Martinez' exit to Bayern Munich

Martinez wanted away because (among other reasons) Bielsa played him at CB rather than in midfield, now he's doing the same with Gurpegi.

Martinez is primarily a DM who occasionaally covered at the back - at least that was my impression

From it was reported - it came down to his release clause (massive pessos) and nothing else

red_WHITE&BLUE said:
Thoughts on Marco Reus?

My main thought is that he's pretty unavailable. Just moved/returned to Dortmund and doing very well so the price tag would be biiiig.

Like him a lot though. Very industrious, which would suit the AVB model.

sammyspurs said:

Id like to develope Dembele/Sandro in the middle. They look great, and I think will be creative AND powerfull. Id hate to get a great thing going, and upset the cart with a 30M "Modric replacement" in January, who will be expected to play, more so than Lloris.

We also have Parker, Hudd and Livermore to fall back on. Id rather spend that money elsewhere at this moment in time.
Definitely wouldn't spring for the amount that Porto are looking for.

sammyspurs said:

I cant decide myself.

Im a big fan of Moutinho and all summer had him as my preferred buy once Modric went, he is a fantastic player. However, from the moment we signed Dembele it just didnt 'fit' in my head to go for Moutinho as well.

We have a midfield 3, basically made up as CM, DM and AM.

For the AM position we have Dempsey and Sigurdsson (and possibly Dembele)
For the DM we have Sandro and Parker (and Livermore)
For the CM we have Dembele (and Huddlestone/Livermore, albeit not of the same style)

Thats Parker, Huddlestone and Livermore I can see being squad entities - accepting Dembele/Sandro as a starting pair. Add Moutinho to the mix and it becomes a 4 players into 3 positions kind of thing and I just cant see us managing them effectively/keeping everyone happy.

As well as that I agree that the £20m+ would be better spent elsewhere. We could really use a top quality wing addition, given that wide play is essential to our system and we only have one senior player each side

Lister

Moutinho is exactly the type of creative player we are missing at the moment - and judging by the effort which we threw on deadline day I fully expect us to be back in January or back for a similar kind of deep-lying playmaker which we currently lack in the team. Someone who can produce a sheer moment of brilliance much like Modric did on Sunday and VdV used to pull off on numerous occasions. We often lack creativity in the middle and someone who can set the rhythm from the onset.

Dembele is a great prospect but he's a different unit and can easily be shifted further up the field in place of Dempsey and Sigurdsson who have hardly set the world alight so far while Mousa was initially an ACM by trade, don't forget. Moutinho and Sandro behind him and we have a very, vert strong middle 3 with impressive cover on the bench.

A player of Moutinho's quality would easily be accommodated into AVB's lineup and considering the fact we almost spent a ton of pessos on him (after both Sigurdsson and Dembele had signed) - I'd trust the manager's judgment on this one. But even if the ship as sailed - we need to be in the market for a quality playmaker irrespective and one who can operate from deeper positions, imv. Dembele and Sandro have great engines and wil offer ample cover to someone who can merely sit back and pick his passes, dictate the tempo and set the game tone. For me that is the missing link along with another striker (Dempsey can cover for Lennon out wide, imv so we can look into that only later)

I'd be worried about how we are doing things if one minute we are willing to splash £20million on a player then within a matter of months we decide its not worth it anymore.

Dru said:
I'd be worried about how we are doing things if one minute we are willing to splash £20million on a player then within a matter of months we decide its not worth it anymore.

The club haven't decided it's not worth it - certain fans have questioned it

I do not really see Dembele as an effective AM - but that is besides the point I was trying to make.

If we play Moutinho a first team player has to drop out.

Already, at any given time we have Huddlestone/Parker/Sigurdsson/Livermore not in the team.

Introducing Moutinho and pushing Dembele forward adds Dempsey to that list.

Alternatively introducing Moutinho and keeping Dempsey adds Dembele or Sandro to that list.

I dont see us as a club with enough status to keep players like these happy on the bench. If we had a title race and regular CL games perhaps, but with the best will in the world that isnt us at this point.

ArcspacE said:
Dru said:

The club haven't decided it's not worth it - certain fans have questioned it

I know that, im just saying if that were the case....

Dru said:
Well, that isn't exactly accurate. That scenario assumes that no intermediate action was taken. We picked up guy named Dembele, remember? If Dembele is working well in our first team, and costs less than Moutinho to boot, why shell out more money?

I'm with Lister on this one. Not saying that we couldn't use Moutinho anymore, or that he wouldn't be a great player for us, but I do think that our area of greatest need is on the wing.

Dru said:

Well not really, because situations change. I am liking the powerful midfield duo we have, and I think Dembele is very creative with drive.

If he and Sandro cement the partnership they are already building, and we continue to grow and find form, and are in a strong position come January, Id find it more strange that the club didnt alter their priorities to suit what we need, rather than just splash 20-30M on a player, just because we wanted him in the summer.

Id rather spend that money on elsewhere in that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom