Is the Tottenham Hotspur Hall of Fame credible without Jimmy Greaves?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I note in the Telegraph article that once again Greaves' amazing achievement of 357 goals in the top flight is ignored. Still an all-time record, and considerably more than Prem top scorer Shearer, for example, who often gets plaudits for this 'record'.

NOTE to the media, football existed before the Prem.

Also ignored, unsurprisingly, is Jim's even more incredible achievement, he is STILL the all-time top scorer in the four major European leagues. (England Italy Spain Germany top flights)

I note in the Telegraph article that once again Greaves' amazing achievement of 357 goals in the top flight is ignored. Still an all-time record, and considerably more than Prem top scorer Shearer, for example, who often gets plaudits for this 'record'.
NOTE to the media, football existed before the Prem.

_80385412_490924265.jpg

NOOOOOO IT DIDN'T IT DIDN'T IT DIDN'T!

Greaves' goal scoring record undisputably makes him a legend, doesn't mean that we have to like the person.
I actually asked Stevie why he hadn't been inducted and he cited the reason as mentioned above - that was before the club/he changed their minds and the induction had to be cancelled due to Stevie's heart attack.
I don't think the Club come out of these events covered in glory - just another way of fleecing supporters. However Mr G can't really say too much about these corporate events - I went to one of his Q&As at the O2 - celebrating his 70th birthday. He included a number of ex-Spurs players, and was quite nostalgic about his playing days at Spurs and didn't show any bitterness (probably because he realised that 99% of the audience were Spurs supporters). However he also had Geoff Hurst, Ron Harris (spit!) and George Graham (double spit!!) alongside him. Our tickets were quite reasonable but I know people who paid a £100 to have a photo and VIP seat - who's ripping off who?
The real truth is that Jim is bitter over not earning the mega salaries of today. I won't condone the club's approach to the hall of fame, because it should probably account for older players who aren't millionaires, but the fact is that it's just not how it was in his day and he needs to come to terms with that I think.

Plus, like you say, with his talks, book deals, TV punditry and so on, he's still likely earned a great deal more than the average punter who goes to the Lane has, and he probably needs a bit of perspective.

Last edited:
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/greavsie-to-join-our-hall-of-fame-300315/

The Club is delighted to announce that Jimmy Greaves will be inducted into our Hall of Fame on Wednesday, May 13.

One of the greatest strikers in the history of the game, both here and globally, Jimmy tops our all-time goalscoring list with a staggering 266 goals in 379 appearances in the league, FA and League Cups and Europe. That total includes 220 goals in 321 league matches.
Bill Nicholson signed Jimmy from AC Milan in December, 1961, the striker joining the team that had just won the league and cup double and forming a lethal strike partnership with Bobby Smith.
Quick with superb control and positional sense, Greaves was a natural goalscorer famed for coolly rolling the ball into the net rather than blasting it.
He scored in the final as we retained the FA Cup in 1962 and was on target again - this time scoring twice with Terry Dyson - as we beat Atletico Madrid to win the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1963.
Jimmy added another FA Cup in 1967 before his nine years at Spurs came to an end with a switch to West Ham.
On the international front, Jimmy remains fourth in England's all-time scoring list with 44 goals in his 57 caps - 42 of those caps as a Spurs player.
“For all the fans who have asked me when I will be in the Tottenham Hotspur Hall of Fame, I am delighted that we now have a date,” Jimmy said.
“I am looking forward to returning to White Hart Lane for this very special occasion.”
Indeed, since leaving the Club as a player in 1970, this will be the first time Jimmy has returned to our North London home, aside from occasionally taking up duties as a TV pundit and his presence at the Bill Nicholson memorial service in 2004.
Ticket details for Jimmy’s induction will be confirmed in due course.

I sadly didn't see Jimmy play, but he had a large part to play in falling in love with football, Saint and Greavsie at their best..... pre premier league analysis, I will always remember saint laughing at his jokes and a superb intro

I grew up with Jimmy in the papers every other weekend slagging us off in an article that featured a cracked THFC crest.

It's a funny old game.

The thing about him never having been back to the Lane since 1970 is also a myth. Not only did he do TV work & return for the Bill Nick memorial, he also had a testimonial in 1972 & played in a testimonial in 1976-1977 (Jennings ?) that i attended. He was still good!

Has to be in the HoF though.

Back
Top Bottom