Is the Tottenham Hotspur Hall of Fame credible without Jimmy Greaves?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've always found him to talk bollocks and saw those quotes about the scum a couple of years back, which cemented it for me. As a player his contribution to the club is legendary though and I admit to admiring his stance on this issue somewhat. It might be more about money not going to him more than money not going to charity but he's right either way.

Still a twat though tbh

When I saw an Audience with Gazza and Greavsie, Jimmy Greaves was pretty poor. Hardly spoke about his time in the game and just made dodgy jokes such as: "I used to work for Sky, but I'm too old to be putting dishes up".

Greavsie, was before my time. My dad used to rave about him all the time, I had a Jimmy Greaves VHS hosted by Brian Moore, which I used to watch religiously, which gave me a tiny glimpse of the player. His goal against Utd, just amazing.

Recently we have seen him appearing at the Chavs and considered to be a 'legend' for them. However the truth of the matter is he is a Spurs legend, first and foremost. Yes he played for the Chavs and Milan before us, but it was only really when Bill Nic signed him for a record fee in those days that he really became the star player that he is remembered for. I believe some of his bitterness towards us came about when he was forced out to West Ham so that we could sign Martin Peters, some of the interviews in the past suggest that he wanted to stay.

It is a shame about his bitterness towards the club, because during his time we really were steeped in the glory of winning cups, home and abroad, that we could only dream of now.

Greavesie still carries a grudge from the Peters deal, without a doubt. IIRC he also links to the increase in his drinking that turned into his lifelong battle with alcohol.

Wouldn't give too much credence what he and his agent say about his Hall of Fame invites and inclusion. Even Perryman has his own lounge at WHL and has done for well over 10 years and was due to be inducted to the Hall of Fame before his illness cancelled it all. My old man had tickets.

I grew up in the 80s and Greaves seemed to be in the paper every other week slagging my club off, in fact at one stage I wondered if he did actually look like a cracked Tottenham crest.

Agreed with @ Colonel_K Colonel_K @ LarryCatt LarryCatt .

In his autobiography, he comes across as though Spurs was the love of his life – that jilted him and this was the catalyst that plunged him into his depression and alcoholism.

I also remember a passage in the chapter about him joining us, where he goes on about how even though we'd just achieved the double, Arse were always the bigger club. I don't remember him saying better in the book.

But anyway, it's on the pitch that matters.

From about a minute on....

Oh for the days when we'd batter Utd 5-1 at home!

I think i saw a 4-0 Mitchell Thomas scoring a brace, second was a standing basil fawlty style over head kick..

edit: confirmed:

04.05.1987HDivision 14 - 0M. Thomas 2, C. Allen (p), P. Allen36,692

3-3 from earlier that season:

Last edited:
http://angryofislington.com/2012/11...mmy-greaves-said-theres-only-ever-one-winner/

Tottenham are forever in Woolwich’s shadow, that’s the boast we hear most often from the Islington faithful but you don’t need to just believe me: let’s hear what their former favourite and scoring legend Jimmy Greaves has got to say.

In 1994 when George Graham’s Woolwich clinched the Cup Winners Cup in Copenhagen. Greavsie was complimentary, saying:

“I’m not going to win many friends at Spurs by saying Woolwich are my idea of a football club. In many ways the perfect club.”

He went on:

“Many of the principles that have been the hallmark of successful football through the years were refined at Woolwich. It pains me to say it but Bill Nicholson borrowed freely from his rivals when he was putting together his great Spurs side.”

If that wasn’t enough, in 1998 after Woolwich won the first of Arsène Wenger’s Doubles, Jimmy had this to say:

“Woolwich have class. I remember when I was at Spurs, the Woolwich players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn’t match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the Double, we were never as big a club as Woolwich.”

In 2007 he was again considering Tottenham’s poor form at the time and he said:

“In the early 1960s, Spurs had a great manager and a great team. But they have never been a great club. Even when we had Bill Nicholson as manager and the likes of Dave Mackay, Cliff Jones, Danny Blanchflower and myself, Spurs still lived in the shadow of Woolwich.”

So there you have it Tottenham fans. Don’t bother with the shades today because whatever happens you’ll be forever in our shadow. Greavsie knew it and, deep down, so do you.

I stand by my post.

First time I've ever seen this, and I'm very upset now.

Been on that so called Stadium Tour and was under whelmed by being led round by two men who's Spurs knowledge was no better or worse than mine.
Never occurred to me about the finest English Goalscorer ever to wear our colours was so anti Spurs, but perhaps we realize his past might not have helped.
My brother is a Woolwich sniffer and looks after the Museum at the Library, and their tour makes ours look silly, with Charlie George taking you round. COYS

Greaves' goal scoring record undisputably makes him a legend, doesn't mean that we have to like the person.
I actually asked Stevie why he hadn't been inducted and he cited the reason as mentioned above - that was before the club/he changed their minds and the induction had to be cancelled due to Stevie's heart attack.
I don't think the Club come out of these events covered in glory - just another way of fleecing supporters. However Mr G can't really say too much about these corporate events - I went to one of his Q&As at the O2 - celebrating his 70th birthday. He included a number of ex-Spurs players, and was quite nostalgic about his playing days at Spurs and didn't show any bitterness (probably because he realised that 99% of the audience were Spurs supporters). However he also had Geoff Hurst, Ron Harris (spit!) and George Graham (double spit!!) alongside him. Our tickets were quite reasonable but I know people who paid a £100 to have a photo and VIP seat - who's ripping off who?

Back
Top Bottom