Is the Tottenham Hotspur Hall of Fame credible without Jimmy Greaves?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I took my son on the stadium tour during the summer. I have to say, I thought it was totally naff. It was basically a tour of all the corporate areas hardly 'behind the scenes' I was totally gutted that I didn't see the famous bath too. It's now in the away side and they were doing work in there.

Anyway, what I was most upset by, was the fact that Jimmy Greaves was not in the Hall of Fame. We were told "for reasons only known to Jimmy" My understanding was something to do with his disliking to the corporate hospitality side, and the fact that the club use(d) the players to stripe even more money out of the fans. I'm not sure if this really is the reason why he's opted out, but my first thoughts were that he has not shown the average fan the respect that he was once shown from the terraces. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disrespecting him by saying this, it's just how I view it. The man is an out and out legend, but Tottenham has a rich history and without his inclusion, it's like a major root is dying off and his name will be lost in the next 100 years.

We've had a legend through every generation, but just because every player reached that status in the 60's, should we just 'let it be' that Jimmy Greaves can just be forgotten EVEN if its his choIce??

I found this interview...

I asked him the question that had been bothering me, "Why wouldn`t he allow himself to be inducted into the Spurs hall of fame? "

His and his manager's answer was direct, full of colourful language and straight to the point! It was not what I expected to hear.

Apparently at the induction dinner in his honour the Spurs legend receives some form of glass decanter. But that`s all he gets.

I was more than a little puzzled, why was that a problem I asked?

Tables of ten are sold for the dinner at around £1,300 per table and often the numbers of bookings can be significant, the potential for a substantial profit is obvious.

Jimmy and Terry`s` view (his agent) was that this money went straight into the clubs coffers, their view was why should this be the case? When the least they could do is pay the player something (many of these legends weren't particularly well paid in some of their heydays) or better still give all the proceeds to ex-players who have fallen on hard times (and he named a few) or they could simply donate all funds raised to a charity of their choice.

Both Jimmy and Terry said that they had made their views on the matter crystal clear to Spurs, and that they hadn`t received any subsequent enquiries from them, but even if they did their position and their response would remain the same; act honourably, act decently and do not use the event to simply make a profit for the club.

As if to underline the support they had for their stance, they told me that Stevie Perryman felt exactly the same, which is why he too would never allow himself to be inducted into the Spurs Hall of Fame. I checked, he isn`t there either.

Two of the greatest Spurs players ever are simply absent.

I found this cold commercial approach by Spurs disheartening and perhaps now had an insight into why Jimmy wasn`t as enamoured with the game as he once was. I think he felt he had given them his all when he played for us, so why should he keep giving now?

So why were so many agreeing to be inducted I asked him?

He pretty much said that most of them didn`t have a choice as they all worked for the club in the hospitality end of the business. I couldn`t help but think that if true this was all more than a little shabby of Spurs, but perhaps when the pressure for the pursuit of revenue is overwhelming it`s not entirely unsurprising.

IMO he is more of a Chelsea legend than a Spurs legend and that for me overshadows his memory.

Not only that but he mouths off far too much about the goons and Chelsea for my liking.

He has a point though.
http://angryofislington.com/2012/11...mmy-greaves-said-theres-only-ever-one-winner/

Tottenham are forever in Woolwich’s shadow, that’s the boast we hear most often from the Islington faithful but you don’t need to just believe me: let’s hear what their former favourite and scoring legend Jimmy Greaves has got to say.

In 1994 when George Graham’s Woolwich clinched the Cup Winners Cup in Copenhagen. Greavsie was complimentary, saying:

“I’m not going to win many friends at Spurs by saying Woolwich are my idea of a football club. In many ways the perfect club.”

He went on:

“Many of the principles that have been the hallmark of successful football through the years were refined at Woolwich. It pains me to say it but Bill Nicholson borrowed freely from his rivals when he was putting together his great Spurs side.”

If that wasn’t enough, in 1998 after Woolwich won the first of Arsène Wenger’s Doubles, Jimmy had this to say:

“Woolwich have class. I remember when I was at Spurs, the Woolwich players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn’t match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the Double, we were never as big a club as Woolwich.”

In 2007 he was again considering Tottenham’s poor form at the time and he said:

“In the early 1960s, Spurs had a great manager and a great team. But they have never been a great club. Even when we had Bill Nicholson as manager and the likes of Dave Mackay, Cliff Jones, Danny Blanchflower and myself, Spurs still lived in the shadow of Woolwich.”

So there you have it Tottenham fans. Don’t bother with the shades today because whatever happens you’ll be forever in our shadow. Greavsie knew it and, deep down, so do you.

I stand by my post.

http://angryofislington.com/2012/11...mmy-greaves-said-theres-only-ever-one-winner/

Tottenham are forever in Woolwich’s shadow, that’s the boast we hear most often from the Islington faithful but you don’t need to just believe me: let’s hear what their former favourite and scoring legend Jimmy Greaves has got to say.

In 1994 when George Graham’s Woolwich clinched the Cup Winners Cup in Copenhagen. Greavsie was complimentary, saying:

“I’m not going to win many friends at Spurs by saying Woolwich are my idea of a football club. In many ways the perfect club.”

He went on:

“Many of the principles that have been the hallmark of successful football through the years were refined at Woolwich. It pains me to say it but Bill Nicholson borrowed freely from his rivals when he was putting together his great Spurs side.”

If that wasn’t enough, in 1998 after Woolwich won the first of Arsène Wenger’s Doubles, Jimmy had this to say:

“Woolwich have class. I remember when I was at Spurs, the Woolwich players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn’t match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the Double, we were never as big a club as Woolwich.”

“In the early 1960s, Spurs had a great manager and a great team. But they have never been a great club. Even when we had Bill Nicholson as manager and the likes of Dave Mackay, Cliff Jones, Danny Blanchflower and myself, Spurs still lived in the shadow of Woolwich.”

So there you have it Tottenham fans. Don’t bother with the shades today because whatever happens you’ll be forever in our shadow. Greavsie knew it and, deep down, so do you.

I stand by my post.

Amazing what you learn. Always thought of him as a spurs legend, and I know my Spurs.....not aswell as I thought I did

He went on:

I stand by my post.
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Anyway, i meant his view on the subject.

If I hear the phrase 'Marble Halls' one more fucking time!
If they were so 'great' and steeped in proud history, they wouldn't have moved grounds (TWICE!) leaving the much vaunted 'Marble Halls' behind in the process, to form part of a poxy block of flats' entrance vestibule... not to mention having had to shit in our Lasagne to help fund the move, now would they?

Last edited:
Those quotes from Greaves do make feel quesy. Sometimes it's nice when footballers are diplomatic and fair about their rival clubs, but I'd much rather our players just call them cunts like are. To me, scum players all hate Spurs, you can see they are not just pandering to scum fans. Part of the reason why they've had us in their pockets over the last 20 years. Our players just don't hate them as much I want them to.

Having said all that, the man is the best striker to have ever played for the club and to not have him in the HOF is ludicrous.

He went on:

I stand by my post.

He's always fallen over himself to praise Thierry Henry also, a man who has nothing but contempt for Spurs.

Then again, Henry has repeatedly stated that Ledley King is the best defender he has ever faced.

He's always fallen over himself to praise Thierry Henry also, a man who has nothing but contempt for Spurs.

Then again, Henry has repeatedly stated that Ledley King is the best defender he has ever faced.

Mutual respect for undoubtedly great footballers for the enemy is one thing.

Saying that the Scum as a club is greater in stature than us is a different matter entirely.

Well the simple answer is no. Putting to one side his brown nosing of Woolwich (which are pretty odious), HoF entry must surely be based on what a particular individual acheived as a player for the club.
Greaves' was probably he best striker to ever pull on the Lillywhite shirt of Tottenham.

I seem to recall Perryman was about to become inducted quite recently but it was delayed due to his recent illness? Might be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom