In context of the season would you prefer to....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want Spurs to qualify for the Ropey

• Total voters
Earlier this morning I was no to EL as I don't think Poch takes cups seriously. That said looking at the CL 3rd teams we could be seeded with a win v Moscow.

Now, the EL teams don't look daunting given Dortmund and Sevilla aren't in it.

A: Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, Man Utd.
B: APOEL, Olympiakos, BSC Young Boys
C: Anderlecht, St Etienne, Mainz
D: Zenit, Dundalk, Maccabi Tel Aviv
E: Roma, Vienna, FK Astra [lol spam]
F: Genk, Bilbao, Rapid Vienna, Sassuolo
G: Ajax, Celta Vigo, St Liege
H: Shakhtar, Braga, KAA Gent
I: Schalke, Krasnodar
J: Fiorentina, Qarabag
K: Sparta, Soton, Hapoel
L: Osmanlispor, Villarreal, Zurich

Clubs unlikely to qualify aren't listed. Not much to be frightened of there. So if Poch has stated he'd take it seriously then based on that list why not?

Our biggest threat would be CL dropouts of which none look out of our reach either.
Still some very good teams in there. Zenit, Roma, Bilbao, Ajax, Shaktar, Schalke, add the champions league dropouts and the Europa is looking very very competitive.

Still some very good teams in there. Zenit, Roma, Bilbao, Ajax, Shaktar, Schalke, add the champions league dropouts and the Europa is looking very very competitive.
Competitive, yes. No one in there though from what I can see that is clearly above our station. Dortmund last season were.

We should be looking to qualify and looking to take it seriously with strong line ups. IIRC CL dropouts have a high Semi Final rate in the Europa league

Yeah I know, who could forget that glorious evening our second string narrowly avoided extra time thanks to a last minute goal against Sheffield United. :pocheyes:

Proof in the pudding that nothing is ever enough.

Can't even enjoy the fact we got to a final. Just another reason to piss on everyone's chips.

Last edited:
I don't wanna sound like a petulant kid, but seriously what's the point of playing football if you don't want to be in certain competitions... WHO ARE WE to decide what we want to compete in, and what ones we don't?

Surely we should want to be in every competition we enter for, and have a go at them all... whether we win them or not is another matter.
But I know one thing, you definitely can't win a competition you aren't even in!

Having not won a Trophy of any kind for 8 years, and (if the 'Tin Pot Cup' brigade are to be believed) we haven't won anything of note since 1991, I'd say on that record alone, beggars can't be fucking choosers!

We're certainly not winning the CL any time soon... we'll have a good go at the PL i'm sure... but so will every other club who will want to make damn sure last season is never repeated (and because of that, last season was most definitely an opportunity missed for us) ...so that leaves the FA Cup or Europa League should we be arsed enough to qualify for it!)

I'd take either of those right now ta!

I don't wanna sound like a petulant kid, but seriously what's the point of playing football if you don't want to be in certain competitions... WHO ARE WE to decide what we want to compete in, and what ones we don't?

Surely we should want to be in every competition we enter for, and have a go at them all... whether we win them or not is another matter.
But I know one thing, you definitely can't win a competition you aren't even in!

Having not won a Trophy of any kind for 8 years, and (if the 'Tin Pot Cup' brigade are to be believed) we haven't won anything of note since 1991, I'd say on that record alone, beggars can't be fucking choosers!

We're certainly not winning the CL any time soon... we'll have a good go at the PL i'm sure... but so will every other club who will want to make damn sure last season is never repeated (and because of that, last season was most definitely an opportunity missed for us) ...so that leaves the FA Cup or Europa League should we be arsed enough to qualify for it!)

Agreed. If Lionel Messi can play 60 games in a season there is no reason our players can't. In general, unless we get a Gillingham, I'm happy to play our best side from here on.

Poch says he'll take Europe seriously, if we get there, and I believe him.

Proof in the pudding that nothing is ever enough.

Can't even enjoy the fact we got to a final. Just another reason to piss on everyone's chips.

Juande Ramos won us a cup in less than a year in charge. Against the team Poch lost to.

How's your chips now!

Let's look at this logically, and ask ourselves a few questions.
1) Can we win the EL if the manager decides to take it seriously, and we get decent draws along the way. I believe the answer is YES
2) If we were still in the CL could we win it. I think the obvious answer is NO

The game is about glory, and finishing 4th in a twenty horse race hardly constitutes glory. However, winning a trophy, any trophy, is glory, and what's more gives thousands of fans a great day out. Last year Poch sacrificed every cup in the hope we may win the league, and as a result the club ended up with egg on it's face, especially when we lost 5-1 against a ten man Newcastle who had already been relegated. The fact is we are not good enough to pick and chose what competition we want to win, we have to try and win everything. No player will be asked to play more than two games of football a week, and let's face it, that can hardly be considered hard graft, can it?

To be honest, until we are good enough to actually win the CL I don't give a toss whether we qualify for it or not. Mr levy would argue about the financial benefits, but as he never spends any of the revenue on improving the squad, why should I care if the shareholders get a bigger payout. Lets get our heads out of the clouds, and come to terms with who we are. We are in the second tier of the premiership, and that isn't to say we are not a massive club or a club without potential, but we should be concentrating on winning trophies we can win rather than chasing pipe dreams !!
So, your idea of glory is to bin off the Premier League and focus on EL?

So, your idea of glory is to bin off the Premier League and focus on EL?
Surely the idea should be to fuck off the idiotic preconception that we are in a position to prioritise, we've won two poxy league cups in the past 25 years.

The one that will grate me is the FA cup last season. Losing to lowly Palace and to a goal from a Liverpool reject defender no less. That was a trophy for the taking. Shame it wasn't to be.
Poch says he'll take Europe seriously, if we get there, and I believe him.
Surely given his record with weakened teams in cup competitions a more prudent approach would be so wait and see if he does it. I don't have high confidence he will on exposed evidence.

The one that will grate me is the FA cup last season. Losing to lowly Palace and to a goal from a Liverpool reject defender no less. That was a trophy for the taking. Shame it wasn't to be.

Surely given his record with weakened teams in cup competitions a more prudent approach would be so wait and see if he does it. I don't have high confidence he will on exposed evidence.

He said he'll take it seriously. I'll go by that. He doesn't strike me as a liar.

No which is why i say we give every game our best shot and see what happens.

Who knows we could get lucky.
Or we could get focused and not have to rely on luck. We certainly didn't have any luck when we played the League Cup Final just 72hrs after playing in Europe, against a team that won the league at a canter and had over a week to prepare, not even a level playing field.

The debate is an old one and no doubt will continue to rage, not just us but by every single club bar the club(s) that win something.

We definitely should be looking at qualifying for the next stage of the Europa League, before the last 32 of the Europa League in February we still have to play 12 Premier League games and an FA Cup 3rd round tie.

Looking at some of the performances of late where we have looked a little jaded it is quite possible that we will be out of the title race and the 3rd round of the FA Cup (if we get a tough away draw). In that situation the Europa League might be our only shot at sliverware and qualifying for the Champions League again, which could impact next summers transfer window due to the increase in finances.

Also it gives us the opportunity to give players games if we get a good first leg lead and lastly we get to see more games in Europe.

Being positive , its a yes but Ive soon came to realise it will just be a farce.

I do not agree with CL teams falling into the EL-so no just for this reason alone.

I also feel its a no because, if we are not prepared to take it serious, whats is the point of being in a competition and not playing your best 11. Its ok being sentimental about Europe and wanting to be in it but thats not enough. We need a settle team, a regular 11 and push for the PL.

Total respect for EL but not this season. Lets have a clear run from Dec in the PL and have a real genuine challenge . I believe we are capable of winning the PL, if thats all we have to chase. The FA Cup I agree with but not Europe.

I agree. Some of my most memorable times supporting the club are winning cup finals. We need to win, win, win. Our biggest weakness at present is not having enough players that score goals.

Back
Top Bottom