How Does Postecoglou Use Strikers?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thanks, this is a great explanation. It was kind of what I was afraid of, but it makes sense. Makes me think also that Levy wants rid of Kane and hired Postecoglou with that in mind. The system, as described, devalues the things Kane does well.

Richy fits the profile of an Ange CF. The new kid from Argentina as well.

So....an Ange supporter basically....
Yes most definitely mate, don't think I was hiding that haha!

Nah but seriously, I'm forever grateful for what Ange did for Brisbane (my hometown) and Australia which is why I'll always be a supporter wherever he goes.

Definitely got a tough job on his hands here but fingers crossed you guys will understand why he's got a cult following soon :D

It's hard to pinpoint because it obviously happened gradually, but as I remember it, Kane started dropping off the front line, once Poch left and we got boredom manager 1 & 2. To be fair, it has also coincided with Kane truly coming into his own as a well-rounded footballer. Still, I can't help but feel people are putting too much emphasis on Kane needing to drop, dictate play and spray passes.

It'll make a lot more sense for us as a team and for Kane as an individual player to stay on the shoulder of the last defender, when we actually try to dictate the match as a team and don't just sit back.

Kane has spoken before about how he's become smart enough to read the game; drop when the team needs it and stay up top otherwise. If he stays at the club, he gets to prove it. Which I'm sure, he will fwiw.

Ange would be a complete fool not to utilise Kane's ability when dropping off to receive the ball deeper. If Ange's worth his salt, he will set up two different ways of player movement in attack - in very broad terms, I know - where one is the way, he usually prefers his teams to operate, and the second is triggered if and when Kane drops.

Richy fits the profile of an Ange CF. The new kid from Argentina as well.

I'll be watching Son closely in the Shakhtar game.

I'm not sure Ange system suits Son, he's never been a player that feels comfortable in a crowded space. Given how many players we are committing forward he's going to have less space to operate in. Let's see how he adapts.
That's what I wonder about. Kane's headers will still be there but he won't have as much room to turn and shoot. If the video earlier in the thread represents what the system looks like, then it is hard to see Kane receiving the ball near the goal and turning to shoot (which he does well). Almost by definition when he gets the ball down that low he's got two men defending him and less of the goal to shoot at. If he is where he normally has been before now, he is further away from the goal and has more angles to shoot for.

That's what I wonder about. Kane's headers will still be there but he won't have as much room to turn and shoot. If the video earlier in the thread represents what the system looks like, then it is hard to see Kane receiving the ball near the goal and turning to shoot (which he does well). Almost by definition when he gets the ball down that low he's got two men defending him and less of the goal to shoot at. If he is where he normally has been before now, he is further away from the goal and has more angles to shoot for.

That quality is rare. I would think Ange ball can be adjusted to fit the qualities of the top #9 in the world.

I'll be watching Son closely in the Shakhtar game.

I'm not sure Ange system suits Son, he's never been a player that feels comfortable in a crowded space. Given how many players we are committing forward he's going to have less space to operate in. Let's see how he adapts.

I agree.

I don't think he suits the role on the left. However, I do think he'd be much more useful up front in this system.

Yes most definitely mate, don't think I was hiding that haha!

Nah but seriously, I'm forever grateful for what Ange did for Brisbane (my hometown) and Australia which is why I'll always be a supporter wherever he goes.

Definitely got a tough job on his hands here but fingers crossed you guys will understand why he's got a cult following soon :D
I live in hope...

Having watched a couple of YouTube videos I have ascertained that he likes playing inverted strikers who flank a mediapunta.

They need to run the channels on the half-turn as they transition into the pocket.

Hope this helps.

Having watched a couple of YouTube videos I have ascertained that he likes playing inverted strikers who flank a mediapunta.

They need to run the channels on the half-turn as they transition into the pocket.

Hope this helps.
What's that in English??

Back
Top Bottom