Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What the fuck are you challenging? Be specific if you have something to say otherwise go back to your bedroom to sniff your sisters knickers.

Saying Deli Alli has a poor first touch is the most laughable thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Watch his goals from last season you plonker, almost all of them include an incredible first touch.

Look at that poor touch at 1:40 =(

You think he scored that goal against Crystal Palace with a first touch? Really?

"Both lose the ball with their first touch", get the fuck out.

He is a good player. Genuinely two footed. His first touch is like Alli's, on the surface both lose the ball with their first touch but placed into context they are the ones that are taking the ball on the run, trying to turn their first touch into an opportunity to create space or aim it into a space between the oppo defensive block. This is far harder to do than just bringing the ball under control at your feet. The best at doing it in our team is Kane. Eriksen and Lamela are slightly better at it too but under pressure they too lose the ball frequently from their first touch, what both do very well however is compete to win it back almost straight away. This is what Son doesn't do (yet, crosses fingers hopes he can).

In fact this is actually a feature of our play and has been so successful for us, we win the ball high up the pitch. Think for a bit, in order to win the ball back and high up the pitch, first you have to NOT have the ball or first you have to lose the ball. There are times we want to lose the ball in the "right" areas. Which brings me onto Son being dispossessed frequently, there is nothing wrong in this, as we will regain possession of the ball quickly when he does (as mentioned above I would like to see him do this, he is simply not aggressive enough), we have scored goals directly from Son going on a run, drawing and committing a couple of players to him, he is tackled but that tackled is quickly followed up with another player winning it back for us and taking advantage of now having a couple of defenders out of position and creating an overload for us in and around the penalty box. (Think of the reverse of this, how many tackles do we make in our deffense, hardly ever, it is rare to find us being caught in possession of the ball in and around our penalty area because are defenders don't dive in or commit themselves anymore). So in short, it is a deliberate ploy of ours to lose the ball, to commit defences and create overloads and therefore create opportunities to exploit. It is all about the 2nd and 3rd phases after we have lost the ball and their defence is committed/turned/out of position. Embrace it because it is deliberate, it's what we do.

He desperately needs to improve and be more committed in the challenge in order to contribute to the teams ability to winning the ball back. I am not expecting him to turn into Alli or Lamella here but expect him to be more like Eriksen, who let's face it bottles a challenge too but he is becoming more terrier like and has won the ball off a defender to set us on our way to score on a few occasions (Norwich, springs to mind but certain there are others).

Guido most of that is good but do you really mean to say,"there is nothing wrong with Son being dispossessed frequently "

Followed by

"We will regain possession of the ball quickly when he does"

:avbhumph:

Saying Deli Alli has a poor first touch is the most laughable thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Watch his goals from last season you plonker, almost all of them include an incredible first touch.

Look at that poor touch at 1:40 =(

You think he scored that goal against Crystal Palace with a first touch? Really?

"Both lose the ball with their first touch", get the fuck out.

You are a bit of a tit but I will indulge you, I am not having a pop at Alli, but he loses the ball a lot, often when the ball is first played to him. There are stats to back this up, I think but I'm not 100% sure he loses the ball more than anyone. I am absolutely fine with it, I am fine with it because he is trying to execute something very difficult which is to take the ball on the run, half turn and under pressure, all things we need as a team to unlock or get behind defences, something he excels at. It's the same deffense I was applying to Son. So calm your shit down you idiot, we all know how good he is. I am pointing out when we lose the ball high up the pitch it's a good thing, it's deliberate and shouldn't be used against a player to beat them up. You are aware that we attempt the long ball to Alli about 3 or 4 times per game? It's a great move and he has scored two great goals off the back off it, but it stands to reason it fails more times than it comes off, I have no problem with that but in just that one planed move of ours there are more failures than successes, some of those failures are down to him not controlling the ball, this is just one example.

In fact this is actually a feature of our play and has been so successful for us, we win the ball high up the pitch. Think for a bit, in order to win the ball back and high up the pitch, first you have to NOT have the ball or first you have to lose the ball. There are times we want to lose the ball in the "right" areas. Which brings me onto Son being dispossessed frequently, there is nothing wrong in this, as we will regain possession of the ball quickly when he does (as mentioned above I would like to see him do this, he is simply not aggressive enough), we have scored goals directly from Son going on a run, drawing and committing a couple of players to him, he is tackled but that tackled is quickly followed up with another player winning it back for us and taking advantage of now having a couple of defenders out of position and creating an overload for us in and around the penalty box. (Think of the reverse of this, how many tackles do we make in our deffense, hardly ever, it is rare to find us being caught in possession of the ball in and around our penalty area because are defenders don't dive in or commit themselves anymore). So in short, it is a deliberate ploy of ours to lose the ball, to commit defences and create overloads and therefore create opportunities to exploit. It is all about the 2nd and 3rd phases after we have lost the ball and their defence is committed/turned/out of position. Embrace it because it is deliberate, it's what we do.

He desperately needs to improve and be more committed in the challenge in order to contribute to the teams ability to winning the ball back. I am not expecting him to turn into Alli or Lamella here but expect him to be more like Eriksen, who let's face it bottles a challenge too but he is becoming more terrier like and has won the ball off a defender to set us on our way to score on a few occasions (Norwich, springs to mind but certain there are others).

If Tottenham wants players that have the ability to lose the ball intentionally, they shouldn't be paying 22 million pounds for them, especially when such players cannot win them back.

If that were a deliberate tactic, which is rather silly to believe, IMO, you would want your ball winners to be doing this, not a player who is afraid of putting his foot in. The possible gains from losing the ball do not actually cancel out the risks. This sort of tactic would better suit those teams that rely on hoofball rather than those that rely on possession football.

It's far better to have players that have the ability to keep the ball and have the vision to find players in space and create space. Sadly, Son doesn't have enough of these abilities.

Guido most of that is good but do you really mean to say,"there is nothing wrong with Son being dispossessed frequently "

Followed by

"We will regain possession of the ball quickly when he does"

:avbhumph:
Regaining possession of the ball high up the pitch is what we do, it is a feature of our game, if Son loses the ball whilst committing defenders (running at them) then this is perfect for us and we have worked this exact senario numerous times. It is deliberate and drilled, the key is winning it back quickly and effecting the next phase quickly. It honestly doesn't matter if he loses the ball in this senario, it's a good thing an opportunity that we thrive on an want.

If Tottenham wants players that have the ability to lose the ball intentionally, they shouldn't be paying 22 million pounds for them, especially when such players cannot win them back.

If that were a deliberate tactic, which is rather silly to believe, IMO, you would want your ball winners to be doing this, not a player who is afraid of putting his foot in. The possible gains from losing the ball do not actually cancel out the risks. This sort of tactic would better suit those teams that rely on hoofball rather than those that rely on possession football.

It's far better to have players that have the ability to keep the ball and have the vision to find players in space and create space. Sadly, Son doesn't have enough of these abilities.
You simply have not been watching Tottenham this season then, it is what we do. Our possession play is the same as another team that keeps the ball, boring semi-circle of doom around the edge of the penalty box. We have gone from a +60% possession team, to one that is just nudging over +50%, it is the very reason what makes us attractive and not a possession bore.

I have stated that Son is shit at winning the ball back, it's his biggest flaw and something he has to improve on or else he will not get selected. IMO he will never be good at it, which is way I hope for a similar outcome/improvement the same as Eriksen, who has improved in this area of his game.

I think it is extremely presumptuous to say that one can know simply by watching that they are deliberately losing possession. Pressing high up the pitch when losing possession does not equate to losing possession deliberately.

If it is a deliberate tactic, then why is the one who is worst at winning the ball back doing it more than those who are better at winning it back?

The supporting evidence simply isn't there for your claims.

Last edited:
I think it is extremely presumptuous to say that one can know simply by watching that they are deliberately losing possession. Pressing high up the pitch when losing possession does not equate to losing possession deliberately.

If it is a deliberate tactic, then why is the one who is worst as winning the ball back doing it more than those who are better than winning it back?

The supporting evidence simply isn't there for your claims.
When I say deliberately I mean we invite a challenge, we want to draw the oppo onto us, if they don't we just circulate the ball. So inviting a challenge from the player is something we want to do, it means a defender has committed himself (even if he wins the ball back).

Pressing high up the pitch is one thing we do and do well, but I am talking specifically about our ability to "counter-press", that is to win the ball back as soon as we lose it, this is a deliberate tactic and highly effective when we transition quickly into attack. Because it is effective we try to create those opportunities and an example of this is we are ready or half expecting one of our players (Son) to lose the ball.

As for your last sentence, Son doesn't win the ball back someone else does. We hunt in packs, he loses the ball others win it back, or are you telling me that this isn't a feature in our play too?

For the record Son is behind all of our AM's, my ramblings shouldn't be confused to think otherwise. I am however jumping to his defence on him losing the ball, specifically when he is attacking/running at defences, as this is still a very effective way for us to breakdown a defence down, my message is don't focus on him losing the ball but focus on the 2nd and 3rd phases after he lost the ball, it probably resulted in us winning the ball back in a dangerous area of the pitch.

Guys I've been here almost a year and have been honest in my assessments of Son. He definitely has his weaknesses which many of you are right to point out. In fact I highlighted them in some of my very first posts on this board as areas he needed to improve upon.

However I do need to warn you that Mr. Soto is a huge anti-Korea/anti-Son troll that has been stirring up shit on the Korean football forums for the past several years despite multiple warnings and bans. I'm sorry that the plague has been unleashed upon you here.

Mr. Soto is a huge anti-Korea/anti-Son troll

This is rather interesting that you say this.

It seems that you are still refusing to acknowledge the opinions of those who didn't accept the papal bull claiming that Son was the next Ji-sung Park (hilarious that Park actually lost out on the Asian Player of the Year award during one of this best seasons for nothing more than failing to attend the awards ceremony while the industrious Okazaki got cheated by the boyish Son this time around while being a vital part of the Leicester miracle).

It didn't take anyone with more than average observation skills to notice that Son never had the lifestyle discipline to consistently perform at the elite level and constantly had fitness issues. He's the sort of player that plays 4 or 5 horrendous matches for every match where he shows a bit of quality and almost never plays more than a single good match in a month.

I have a great deal of respect for Pochettino, but I have to say that I am very disappointed that he felt Son would offer something to Tottenham.

If Son manages to keep his place at Spurs, it would probably be because he is worth so little on the transfer market now and thus his value must be raised even to recoup half of the expenditure paid. Otherwise, they will have egg on their faces and will end up paying more than half his wages for a German club to take him off their hands.

As for Sons of Thunder's claim that I'm anti-Korean, this is sheer siliness, because I greatly admired many Korean players, including Y.P. Lee, and some players that most of you would probably not recognise. It is sheer nonsense to label anyone criticising underachieving players who lack discipline and drive as "anti-Korean" when they've clearly admired many other exceptional Korean players -- not only in football but in many other sports.

Last edited:
You simply have not been watching Tottenham this season then, it is what we do. Our possession play is the same as another team that keeps the ball, boring semi-circle of doom around the edge of the penalty box. We have gone from a +60% possession team, to one that is just nudging over +50%, it is the very reason what makes us attractive and not a possession bore.

I have stated that Son is shit at winning the ball back, it's his biggest flaw and something he has to improve on or else he will not get selected. IMO he will never be good at it, which is way I hope for a similar outcome/improvement the same as Eriksen, who has improved in this area of his game.

This doesn't stand to reason. Why would you want the player closest to the ball to lose it while expecting those further away to win the ball as the one who just lost it is not good at winning it back? This is counterproductive. Wouldn't it be far better to keep the ball, until you can find a player in a good position to receive the ball?

Furthermore, I didn't see Son losing possession only in the "right areas" of the pitch as you suggested earlier. The only "pattern" for his losing possession is his regularity of losing possession, not the areas where he does.

I am sure that Pochettino has not instructed Spurs to do what you are suggesting, though I do agree that they are pressing high up the pitch often during the match.

Anyone who so easily loses possession is a liability.

Back
Top Bottom