Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't get the 'sell' camp on this one. Son had limited and few opportunities this past season, but he played a crucial role, scoring late winners and stepping up to the plate at the end of the season when others were off on holiday. His goals against Chavs and Southampton were both well taken and composed; both should have led to victories that would have assured at least 2nd. The guy is incredibly positive around the squad, has lots of personal energy and enthusiasm and he will also get better.

I don't get the 'sell' camp on this one. Son had limited and few opportunities this past season, but he played a crucial role, scoring late winners and stepping up to the plate at the end of the season when others were off on holiday. His goals against Chavs and Southampton were both well taken and composed; both should have led to victories that would have assured at least 2nd. The guy is incredibly positive around the squad, has lots of personal energy and enthusiasm and he will also get better.
I've no factual basis for this, but just get the feeling he's a bit mentally week, a bit of a bottler. Seems to jump out of 60/40 tackles at times. I also see him close to defenders when he could be in space to receive a pass. Looks like he's hiding a bit.

Possibly harsh and possibly because I saw it once, I'm really looking for it now, I don't know. I doubt we'll sell him anyway, as we'd take a major hit. Hope he can turn it on a bit more next season.

Perfectly happy with him going to the Olympics too, nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

Korean media reporting that Son will join Tottenham for pre-season training, play in the friendlies against Juventus and Atletico, and then join up with the Olympic squad in time for their 2nd group-stage match against Germany.

I strongly believe Son will kick on next season and be a fantastic player for us, he is an inconsistent player by nature but looking back at some of the goals he has scored, he could be a lethal assets for us and he is crucial for our teams moral, such a character in the changing room, give him a bit longer with Poch, Lamela was hardly the player he is now after his first season

Korean media reporting that Son will join Tottenham for pre-season training, play in the friendlies against Juventus and Atletico, and then join up with the Olympic squad in time for their 2nd group-stage match against Germany.

Seems like a good solution for all parties really. Just hope you guys aren't underestimating Fiji and fuck it up :dierno:

I strongly believe Son will kick on next season and be a fantastic player for us, he is an inconsistent player by nature but looking back at some of the goals he has scored, he could be a lethal assets for us and he is crucial for our teams moral, such a character in the changing room, give him a bit longer with Poch, Lamela was hardly the player he is now after his first season

He seemed consistent in the Bundesliga. I just think it was a matter of settling in and adjusting to the Premier League. His injury did him no favors either. He'll be much better next season.

But I still can't help but wonder what would have happened if we signed Firmino instead....

He seemed consistent in the Bundesliga. I just think it was a matter of settling in and adjusting to the Premier League. His injury did him no favors either. He'll be much better next season.

But I still can't help but wonder what would have happened if we signed Firmino instead....

No he wasnt. His main problem was first touch + consistency even in Bundesliga. He tends to score multiple goals in a single match and then goes on the ghost mode for several games.

No he wasnt. His main problem was first touch + consistency even in Bundesliga. He tends to score multiple goals in a single match and then goes on the ghost mode for several games.

He could be an impact sub for us, not much else really I don't think, he looks like a fish up a tree when starting.

Everyone seems to know their role under the Poch system, the team seems disjointed when he starts.

With the commercial revenue he brings in, he'll probably be at the club longer than Khumalo.

He might just be the true Bastard Son of Daniel Levy....

:sonlol::levylol:

Look, Sonny's first season didn't go that great, and he would be the first to admit that. And despite that fact, he finished joint 4th on the team in goals with Eriksen (8) only behind Harry, Dele, and Lamela, including crucial goals against Palace, Watford, and Chelski. And it was an injury hit season. And he's only 23. And he seems like a genuinely good locker room presence who isn't agitating for a move elsewhere. So I really don't understand people saying we should ship him out. We're not going to get more than we paid for him, and we'd have to pay over the odds to get another player of his calibur.

It's like Lamela all over again, except I back Sonny to get to peak form much faster when his manger isn't changed every 6 months.

coys.

I can't quite understand why people are so quick at jumping to sell a player in a position we struggle with. He's been here one season, and as almost every player in our current squad, they needed one season to truly bed into Poch's system and style of play.

He fits the criterias we're looking for in a player almost exactly. He is young, with his best years ahead of him and still mallaeble. He doesn't seem to have an ego of any considerable size. He has a nose for goal, and if coached into playing properly on the left he will open up an ocean of space for our LB to run into, and perhaps most importantly, he is more likely than Chadli/Eriksen/Lamela to run ahead of Kane to create space for him or for our Eriksen and the like to play a ball in behind the defense. While he was by no means great last season, he was better than Lamela was in his first season and look at Lamela now. If they have similar growth curves (and seeing what Poch has done with almost the entire squad that's quite likely) he'll become a good player for us for years to come.

In case you're interested in what a Korean has to say . . .

I'm sure you'll all be happy to hear that Son's waistline has been expanding during the holidays.

During friendlies against Spain and Czech Republic, he showed extremely poor touch and generally lacked movement. During the two matches, he only created one chance while he lost possession most of the times he touched the ball.

Son's lack of fitness has been a constant problem throughout his career and has probably been the biggest reason for his extreme lack of consistency.

I personally think it has to do with his fondness for junk foods, which he has openly admitted to in interviews.

Pochettino couldn't have been impressed by Son's last match against Newcastle. I think he'll be gone by January at latest.

Son_s_belly.png

His heavy first touch, constant shooting and habit of avoiding 50/50 duels and getting dispossessed easily is what angers most here. If he doesn't change/improve his game, we should cut our losses and look for much better available options out there.

His heavy first touch, constant shooting and habit of avoiding 50/50 duels and getting dispossessed easily is what angers most here. If he doesn't change/improve his game, we should cut our losses and look for much better available options out there.

Agree with all that and add poor positioning, marking and tracking back

He needs to buckle down pre season and start doing what Poch obviously must be telling him or will be gone next January

You know what drives me mad? His habit of standing still after he's just made a pass, even when the one he's made a pass to is running directly at him!

Or when he's stationary when he could easy make himself a passing option by moving a yard or two.

He is a good player. Genuinely two footed. His first touch is like Alli's, on the surface both lose the ball with their first touch but placed into context they are the ones that are taking the ball on the run, trying to turn their first touch into an opportunity to create space or aim it into a space between the oppo defensive block. This is far harder to do than just bringing the ball under control at your feet. The best at doing it in our team is Kane. Eriksen and Lamela are slightly better at it too but under pressure they too lose the ball frequently from their first touch, what both do very well however is compete to win it back almost straight away. This is what Son doesn't do (yet, crosses fingers hopes he can).

In fact this is actually a feature of our play and has been so successful for us, we win the ball high up the pitch. Think for a bit, in order to win the ball back and high up the pitch, first you have to NOT have the ball or first you have to lose the ball. There are times we want to lose the ball in the "right" areas. Which brings me onto Son being dispossessed frequently, there is nothing wrong in this, as we will regain possession of the ball quickly when he does (as mentioned above I would like to see him do this, he is simply not aggressive enough), we have scored goals directly from Son going on a run, drawing and committing a couple of players to him, he is tackled but that tackled is quickly followed up with another player winning it back for us and taking advantage of now having a couple of defenders out of position and creating an overload for us in and around the penalty box. (Think of the reverse of this, how many tackles do we make in our deffense, hardly ever, it is rare to find us being caught in possession of the ball in and around our penalty area because are defenders don't dive in or commit themselves anymore). So in short, it is a deliberate ploy of ours to lose the ball, to commit defences and create overloads and therefore create opportunities to exploit. It is all about the 2nd and 3rd phases after we have lost the ball and their defence is committed/turned/out of position. Embrace it because it is deliberate, it's what we do.

He desperately needs to improve and be more committed in the challenge in order to contribute to the teams ability to winning the ball back. I am not expecting him to turn into Alli or Lamella here but expect him to be more like Eriksen, who let's face it bottles a challenge too but he is becoming more terrier like and has won the ball off a defender to set us on our way to score on a few occasions (Norwich, springs to mind but certain there are others).

I wonder what his stats are on those fitness tests?

Son_s_belly_5.png
Ooh... Chunky-Chinky! Fucking sack him!!
Jesus Christ. .. I can't even SEE what's supposed to be in the red box...
Are we saying he's turned into a teenage Adele and Michelle MacNanus's love child??

Fucking cut him some slack FFS!
IT'S PRE-SEASON!
even Lumpy Lamela and Wobbly Wimmer need to shed some pounds!

Back
Top Bottom