Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A whole team for one player??
Levy's good,but not that good...

I hear this is the team in question, so you never know though

02_19101926_661f7a_2647430a.jpg

EVERYONES PERFORMANCE VS NEWCASTLE WAS TURGID (and Son wasn't event the worst performer).

If he's sold i would be very unhappy. For one he deserves more than a season to prove himself and he's also got a decent goals and assists return for his first season anyway. It's obvious he's got talent so let's hope Poch is a fair man and actually gives him a proper chance like he does other players.

Thing is that Poch probably never wanted Son. He was very much a panic purchase imo along with N'jie.

Can we please just sell this guy? There is absolutely no way we recoup the money spent on him, so just offload him now and take the loss. I understand his wanting to play in the Olympics, but I don't accept it. There is absolutely zero way South Korea wins gold [EDIT: I guess it's just ANY medal at the Olympics, not just gold]. Son's worth is going to drop even more when he doesn't win a medal and his military service is guaranteed. Additionally this will now be two seasons in a row that he doesn't get a pre-season under Pochettino. There's also the fact that if South Korea DOES go deep into the competition we're talking late August. Will he want to recover and recoup after that? That puts us some time into September. What if he gets injured? Now we're talking about potentially October until he's even ready to train.

There are fundamental problems with his game that make him a bad fit for our system. He's the perfect example of someone that would leave us and do well somewhere else, but he would never be able to get to a much higher level in OUR system. For Son to be effective (as it is) he has to be facing goal, his turn is terrible. For someone that's apparently a pacey player, I didn't see him make very many attempts to just flat out run defensives. He's incredibly selfish and that has cost us goals. There is one perfect example of said selfishness and forgive me if I can't remember the exact match, but it was the one where Lamela had the assist and Son rounded the keeper and instead of passing it to a wide open Lamela in front of net he took a strangely angled shot with two defenders closing in on him. Sure, he scored, but instead of taking the smart and very easy pass, he chose to hunt for that goal himself.

Sell.

Last edited:
Can we please just sell this guy? There is absolutely no way we recoup the money spent on him, so just offload him now and take the loss. I understand his wanting to play in the Olympics, but I don't accept it. There is absolutely zero way South Korea wins gold. Son's worth is going to drop even more when he doesn't win a medal and his military service is guaranteed. Additionally this will now be two seasons in a row that he doesn't get a pre-season under Pochettino. There's also the fact that if South Korea DOES go deep into the competition we're talking late August. Will he want to recover and recoup after that? That puts us some time into September. What if he gets injured? Now we're talking about potentially October until he's even ready to train.

There are fundamental problems with his game that make him a bad fit for our system. He's the perfect example of someone that would leave us and do well somewhere else, but he would never be able to get to a much higher level in OUR system. For Son to be effective (as it is) he has to be facing goal, his turn is terrible. For someone that's apparently a pacey player, I didn't see him make very many attempts to just flat out run defensives. He's incredibly selfish and that has cost us goals. There is one perfect example of said selfishness and forgive me if I can't remember the exact match, but it was the one where Lamela had the assist and Son rounded the keeper and instead of passing it to a wide open Lamela in front of net he took a strangely angled shot with two defenders closing in on him. Sure, he scored, but instead of taking the smart and very easy pass, he chose to hunt for that goal himself.

Sell.

Honestly can't believe you are lambasting Son for wanting to represent his country at the Olympics, based on your logic, no athlete should go to the Olympics unless they have a shot at gold.....and calling him out for scoring a goal instead of passing.
I saw Kane miss a number of chances this season when he could have passed, yet he does not receive the same vitriol.
It has not been Son's greatest season and he'd be the first to admit it, no doubt you'll be the kind of cunt applauding next season when he starts doing well.

Honestly can't believe you are lambasting Son for wanting to represent his country at the Olympics, based on your logic, no athlete should go to the Olympics unless they have a shot at gold.....and calling him out for scoring a goal instead of passing.
I saw Kane miss a number of chances this season when he could have passed, yet he does not receive the same vitriol.
It has not been Son's greatest season and he'd be the first to admit it, no doubt you'll be the kind of cunt applauding next season when he starts doing well.

I said I understand his wanting to play in the Olympics.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I can live with that and yes, I'll applaud him if he does well. I applaud him NOW when he does well. Just because you criticize someone doesn't mean you can't also be happy for their achievements.

As it stands, I think we should sell him.

I said I understand his wanting to play in the Olympics.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I can live with that and yes, I'll applaud him if he does well. I applaud him NOW when he does well. Just because you criticize someone doesn't mean you can't also be happy for their achievements.

As it stands, I think we should sell him.

Clearly said you "don't accept it" though, which really is cunty. Representing your country at the Olympics is an opportunity for a life experience that very, very few people in the world ever get, win or lose. Begrudging someone an opportunity like that is pretty shit. There's a million acceptable reasons to go off a player, because they want to experience an opportunity like this, which isn't guaranteed to ever come around again, isn't one.

Clearly said you "don't accept it" though, which really is cunty. Representing your country at the Olympics is an opportunity for a life experience that very, very few people in the world ever get, win or lose. Begrudging someone an opportunity like that is pretty shit. There's a million acceptable reasons to go off a player, because they want to experience an opportunity like this, which isn't guaranteed to ever come around again, isn't one.

You're totally cool with him fucking off to the Olympics and missing an entire preseason & the first portion of the season because it's denying him a life experience? Fuck outta here with that bullshit. We've seen countless numbers of times the importance of a player having a full preseason. He's a professional footballer playing for a team in the Champion's League, if he doesn't want the responsibility that comes with that role he can request a transfer.

De Ja vu at the end of Lamela's first season in this thread. There is no point selling a 23 year old prospect who may get used to the league next year if he stays injury free. We would lose money and Levy would never do that. He's staying, get over it and support our player.

You're totally cool with him fucking off to the Olympics and missing an entire preseason & the first portion of the season because it's denying him a life experience? Fuck outta here with that bullshit. We've seen countless numbers of times the importance of a player having a full preseason. He's a professional footballer playing for a team in the Champion's League, if he doesn't want the responsibility that comes with that role he can request a transfer.

Simply put, yes. It's football. Life exists outside it, and you're deluding yourself if you think you'd turn down the call in his shoes. It's not like he's going to lay on the beach in Aruba for a couple weeks, he'll be match fit when he returns.

You really expect a player to turn down starting matches in the Olympics so he can get some preseason running in and sit on a bench? Get some perspective.

A lot of our players are not going to have a full pre season. Let's hope Belgium and England don't go too far in the euros. I said before we play in Aus on July 23 and the Euro semis are on 6&7th July. Final 10th.

Simply put, yes. It's football. Life exists outside it, and you're deluding yourself if you think you'd turn down the call in his shoes. It's not like he's going to lay on the beach in Aruba for a couple weeks, he'll be match fit when he returns.

You really expect a player to turn down starting matches in the Olympics so he can get some preseason running in and sit on a bench? Get some perspective.

No, he's a fucking coward who's trying to get out of military service for his country. Suck it up, do the job you are being paid to do and be a fucking man.

No, he's a fucking coward who's trying to get out of military service for his country. Suck it up, do the job you are being paid to do and be a fucking man.

kPtUlXN.gif

Participating in the Olympics and representing your country is an important thing to many athletes. If Spurs release him to play with his national side, then let him go and drop it.
He's a footballer, he'll be playing football, and national team commitments are a thing that every club juggles. It's a part of the culture.

As Spurs fans, I think we'd all rather he'd stay and get his pre-season in (for that matter I wish all of our players would say fuck off to the Euros and Copa America as well), but this is a part of the game. I won't have any ill will towards Sonny for playing for South Korea. We have enough midfielders to hit the ground running while he finds his legs after the tournament.

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit Son had a bad year, but don't you think you're overreacting a bit? There are plenty of Spurs players repping their countries this summer at the Copa and Euros. They went straight from the end of the season into their national side camps and will be playing straight into late June/early July. You think that won't affect their pre-season preparations either? It's not like Poch is going to call them back early August and immediately start running three-a-days.

As for Korea's medal chances, they might not be that high but you're talking like they're the San Marino Islands or something. They won Bronze in 2012. Son getting a medal/military exemption is a huge plus for Tottenham as well unless they're dead set on Son retiring as a Spur at the ripe age of 28.

Back
Top Bottom