Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me he's the signing of the season , even more than Alli or Alderweireld because its players like him that we need to look for. Skilled, experience, relatively young and on the verge of a real breakthrough (even if he was already pretty established before that). The kind of player we can just about pay and the richer teams just overlook. He can be a true gem, two footed, always dangerous, always motivated and just has that natural goalscoring ability.

It's tough to say there's a single standout "signing of the season". Don't get me wrong, Son adds some needed versatility and creativity moving forward but I think we cant neglect what Toby as done to our defensive woes. I'd say Alli and Son are on the same level of what they can bring for us in terms of attacking options.

It's tough to say there's a single standout "signing of the season". Don't get me wrong, Son adds some needed versatility and creativity moving forward but I think we cant neglect what Toby as done to our defensive woes. I'd say Alli and Son are on the same level of what they can bring for us in terms of attacking options.

Honestly don't feel that Alli is a natural 10, or should even be played at 10 period. Much better deeper and when played at 10, he both loses the ball too often and makes our attack favor the long ball. Think Dembele's injury is an opportunity for him to play next to Dier and Son to get a starting spot.

Honestly don't feel that Alli is a natural 10, or should even be played at 10 period. Much better deeper and when played at 10, he both loses the ball too often and makes our attack favor the long ball. Think Dembele's injury is an opportunity for him to play next to Dier and Son to get a starting spot.

I'll admit that I think Eriksen is a better number 10 but 4 goals and 3 assists so far this season in the Prem from Alli tells me he's doing something right for our attack.

I'll admit that I think Eriksen is a better number 10 but 4 goals and 3 assists so far this season in the Prem from Alli tells me he's doing something right for our attack.

Don't quote me but 2 of those assists were merely the last pass, not exactly a setup and he will still scores goals from deep, just with different style aka Lampard or Tim Cahill type late runs. I've argued before using his dribbling stats that Alli's close control and agility leaves little to be desired, which is fine for a lad whose 6'2, but his much better as a box-to-box midfielder in the toure mould, than a 10.
If you watched the game verse Newcastle you would notice that we kept going long to Alli as he has a tendency to try and go beyond Kane, not necessarily a bad thing per say, but in our team it cuts out Lamela and Eriksen's influence and also causes Kane to drop deep, where he is least effective.
I'm a huge fan, but honestly having Dier/Dembele/Alli for those deep roles causes a problem, since all 3 are un-droppable, we are forced to play one as a 10.
Not a bad problem to have admittedly, but I like eriksen centrally, especially if we play Davis at LB.

Don't quote me but 2 of those assists were merely the last pass, not exactly a setup and he will still scores goals from deep, just with different style aka Lampard or Tim Cahill type late runs. I've argued before using his dribbling stats that Alli's close control and agility leaves little to be desired, which is fine for a lad whose 6'2, but his much better as a box-to-box midfielder in the toure mould, than a 10.
If you watched the game verse Newcastle you would notice that we kept going long to Alli as he has a tendency to try and go beyond Kane, not necessarily a bad thing per say, but in our team it cuts out Lamela and Eriksen's influence and also causes Kane to drop deep, where he is least effective.
I'm a huge fan, but honestly having Dier/Dembele/Alli for those deep roles causes a problem, since all 3 are un-droppable, we are forced to play one as a 10.
Not a bad problem to have admittedly, but I like eriksen centrally, especially if we play Davis at LB.
Assist stats are ultimately bollocks. You can play the perfect pass in to a striker, but it can still be fluffed.:soldadowatch:

Son had a great few initial games, but that injury came at just about the worst moment.

Scrappy goal against Watford, but here's hoping that can be a catalyst for him getting back to form and establishing himself again as a starter.

Really think this lad can be exceptional for us and, cliché aside, might well be like a new signing from January onwards.

Assist stats are ultimately bollocks. You can play the perfect pass in to a striker, but it can still be fluffed.:soldadowatch:

I tend to agree but there are plenty of other stats worth less than counting assists. Sure a lot of it is dependent on their particular team's goalscoring threats, but it could also be a main indicator of the quality of their overall contribution to the team and ability to generate goals.

He's being played their because he works tirelessly, offers goals and is direct, but most importantly, mistakes made there won't hurt us as much as they will in the central midfield. It's quite normal for such a young, but incredible gifted teenager to be 'eased' in this way.

He's being played their because he works tirelessly, offers goals and is direct, but most importantly, mistakes made there won't hurt us as much as they will in the central midfield. It's quite normal for such a young, but incredible gifted teenager to be 'eased' in this way.
He's 23. He's not an incredibly gifted teenager. Let's keep it real.

Last edited:

I like Eriksen centrally from a purist's point of view, but he's been more influential starting on the left. I know we bang on about a fluid AM 3, but he does his stuff from the left. I also don't know why you mention Davies at LB being pertinant to Eriksen playing in the middle? Surely Davies' much vaunted defensive talents would allow Eriksen to play with greater freedom on the left?

I like Eriksen centrally from a purist's point of view, but he's been more influential starting on the left. I know we bang on about a fluid AM 3, but he does his stuff from the left. I also don't know why you mention Davies at LB being pertinant to Eriksen playing in the middle? Surely Davies' much vaunted defensive talents would allow Eriksen to play with greater freedom on the left?

I just feel that Davis dosent like to hit the by-line, one because his not quick enough to get around the opposing FB and also because positionally its too much of a risk for him. Alot has been written on here about Eriksen's stats on the left verse centrally, but I feel like most of his goals come centrally regardless where he plays and his assists from out wide are over-inflated with dead ball stats.
Even with Davis better positioning, it still dosent give eriksen a free rein anyway, as a 2-1 is still a 2-1.
If Rose can fix his brain snaps, his a more rounded FB in my opinion. Just my two cents though.

I just feel that Davis dosent like to hit the by-line, one because his not quick enough to get around the opposing FB and also because positionally its too much of a risk for him. Alot has been written on here about Eriksen's stats on the left verse centrally, but I feel like most of his goals come centrally regardless where he plays and his assists from out wide are over-inflated with dead ball stats.
Even with Davis better positioning, it still dosent give eriksen a free rein anyway, as a 2-1 is still a 2-1.
If Rose can fix his brain snaps, his a more rounded FB in my opinion. Just my two cents though.

All fair points Oz. Happy New Year to you mate. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

To simplify matters I think of Alli as last seasons signing cause we bought him in January.
Toby has solidified our defence and added calmness. That alone is monumental. Then consider he pops up with goals and creates space for others at corners. And he has a nice across field diaganal ball also. Easily signing of the season.

But not to take away from Son who has great all round ability and I think has been an excellent signing who will only get better.

Back
Top Bottom