Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree that Kane and Austin deserve to be there more than Ricky Lambert. But calling out the leading English scorer in the league for being born abroad is racist and short sighted. Sterling was in Jamaica. So was John Barnes.

The bigger point is the way it confuses club and country. Most players give everything for their country if they can foreign born or not, Barnes being a prime example, at Spurs it seems as if we are relying on players like Mason and Kane for grit and integrity as the players we have bought all seem to wilt under pressure though it's hard to simply says that's because they are foreign we could have easily bought a bunch of weak English players as well.

Harry Kane is one of those GREAT British footballing names. Jimmy Greaves, Martin Chivers, Dave Mackay, just have that ring about them. There's plenty from other clubs also. Face it!

Harry Kane is one of those GREAT British footballing names. Jimmy Greaves, Martin Chivers, Dave Mackay, just have that ring about them. There's plenty from other clubs also. Face it!

His name sounds like an Australian describing a storm with a violent wind, in particular a tropical cyclone in the Caribbean.

Lee Barnard, now there's a classic British name.

Ince assists for both goals. Have to admit we were battered first half and most of the game. Should have won though as the arsehole's first was clearly offside.

Let's hope Kane can learn and improve. That finish was something I thought he never had, and with his left.
One thing I am concerned about is him playing the lone striker role. Maybe he will in time learn to master it, but I don't think he's too comfortable with it.
I would hate for him too lose confidence and get battered by the fickle press if he fails to score.
To get the best out of him it's a 433 imo or playing him alongside Soldado/Adebayor in the current formation. However, that means losing Eriksen. I cannot see MP playing 433 but we have the players to do it.
We could accommodate Eriksen also.
[formation=433, Lloris, Naughton, Fazio, Vertonghen, Rose, Eriksen, Stambouli, Mason, Chadli, Kane, Lamela][/formation]

JDK JDK

Who played that ball? Orgasmic that is

Ince. When I first saw that incredible left footed pass I assumed it was Tommy Carroll (captaining the U21s tonight, btw) but it was Ince. Real nice goal all around.

Ince assists for both goals. Have to admit we were battered first half and most of the game. Should have won though as the arsehole's first was clearly offside.

Let's hope Kane can learn and improve. That finish was something I thought he never had, and with his left.
One thing I am concerned about is him playing the lone striker role. Maybe he will in time learn to master it, but I don't think he's too comfortable with it.
I would hate for him too lose confidence and get battered by the fickle press if he fails to score.
To get the best out of him it's a 433 imo or playing him alongside Soldado/Adebayor in the current formation. However, that means losing Eriksen. I cannot see MP playing 433 but we have the players to do it.
We could accommodate Eriksen also.
[formation=433, Lloris, Naughton, Fazio, Vertonghen, Rose, Eriksen, Stambouli, Mason, Chadli, Kane, Lamela][/formation]

I like that formation a lot, but Eriksen is so worthless defensively that it is hard to play him in a 4-3-3 against a team with any quality in the midfield. It's a conundrum. Everyone highlighted Eriksen as the potential Gaston Ramirez when Pochettino came in. I was leery of this comparison because Ramirez is an average at best footballer and I thought Eriksen's ability would keep him on the field.

However, I am more and more amenable to the argument that he may end up ostracized like Juan Mata did at Chelsea. Both are tremendous talents but honestly the two of them couldn't combine for one decent tackle. The obvious caveat is that it is tremendously early in Pochettino's reign and Eriksen is also younger than Mata with a better build. Still, Eriksen's development has been a reasonable cause for concern IMO.

I like that formation a lot, but Eriksen is so worthless defensively that it is hard to play him in a 4-3-3 against a team with any quality in the midfield. It's a conundrum. Everyone highlighted Eriksen as the potential Gaston Ramirez when Pochettino came in. I was leery of this comparison because Ramirez is an average at best footballer and I thought Eriksen's ability would keep him on the field.

However, I am more and more amenable to the argument that he may end up ostracized like Juan Mata did at Chelsea. Both are tremendous talents but honestly the two of them couldn't combine for one decent tackle. The obvious caveat is that it is tremendously early in Pochettino's reign and Eriksen is also younger than Mata with a better build. Still, Eriksen's development has been a reasonable cause for concern IMO.
I suppose you could play Bentaleb instead of Eriksen in that formation. However, my thinking is that he has a kind of wandering role. You have Mason and Stambouli in there, both mobile, who get stuck in and always look forward first in regards to passing. Eriksen is a dilemma. He has had the worst passing accuracy of all midfielders in the last 2 league home games. Maybe dropping him there would get the best out of him where we need it most, in our attack. He could pick out the forward runners and arrive late in the box to get goals.

Back
Top Bottom