Great article about Spurs this season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't really agree that we are punching above our weight. The fact is, the four or five clubs with more money than us frequently fuck up, and when that happens we often end up ahead of them. We have a different approach than other clubs in terms of playing staff. Lower wages, but younger players, riskier signings, developing youth. It's not all about money. And I think now that we have a good manager we are up there competing properly with the so called bigger clubs. Those so called bigger clubs do have more money which gives them an advantage but it relies on them using it wisely. With our new stadium on the way I really do think we will close the gap financially and if we continue to be well run we will be regular top four, not by overachieving but because we are where we should be.

I'm not sure that the new stadium will be the start of a period of massive squad enhancements, the costs of completion will ravage the team for years, as money will be channeled into servicing the debt, at the expense of team development
It could well do, I don't know the specifics of the financing, nor how the club has structured it. I can only hope we're playing it smarter than Woolwich, as we seem to have done so thus far.

One dirty secret though is the new stadium alone won't bridge the gap. It will take us a chunk closer, but the endorsements/merchandise sales from around the fucking planet are what take up the rest of the gap, and it will take a few years of serious success to get enough glory chasers to switch from Chelsea and others to us before we're solidly among them, financially.

It could well do, I don't know the specifics of the financing, nor how the club has structured it. I can only hope we're playing it smarter than Woolwich, as we seem to have done so thus far.

One dirty secret though is the new stadium alone won't bridge the gap. It will take us a chunk closer, but the endorsements/merchandise sales from around the fucking planet are what take up the rest of the gap, and it will take a few years of serious success to get enough glory chasers to switch from Chelsea and others to us before we're solidly among them, financially.
Regarding stadiums, anyone can play it smarter that Woolwich, expect the Pikeys that is!:eriksenlol:

Our approach is different, and that's because the owners want to run it as a business, which they will sell on at some point for a bundle.
Other than Liverpool, I think the clubs with deeper pockets could be in a bit of trouble, as they are essentially trading at a massive loss. In Man United's case, they are operating with huge leverage akin to sub-prime housing back in 2006. What happens to Chelsea if the Russian drops dead? And will Man City's owners keep pumping money into the club if the oil price continues to collapse?
Football could well be in bubble territory, anyway. In the UK, I think people are starting to lose interest, and turning to non-league football or other sports. If there is a bubble, and if it bursts, Spurs will still be in good condition.

When I read the article on my commute home, I thought the reporter was pretty spot on and that it was a fair summary on where we are. And Danny Rose is a legend!

Spot on in my opinion. We are punching a bit - in terms of finance we shouldn't be top 4 so if we finish Top 4 this does represent massive achievement. Perhaps our par is about 6th?!
I'm pretty well grounded in this having seen many seasons in the 90s where we finished bottom half - which was gross underacheivement
1997–98 FA Premier League - Wikipedia

-------------

I refuse to accept that finance is the only common denominator, and if I ever do accept it I will stop following football. Leicester did it last year, so there is no reason why we can't do it one day. That said, I genuinely don't think we have the manager to get us where we need to be, even if the squad stays relatively injury free. For me it's 5th or 6th this season, which in actual fact disappointingly proves YOUR point that money is a key denominator. It's easier than some people may think to win the league. All we have to do is beet the teams below us and get a few draws and the occasional win against the top sides. Spurs problem is dropping far to many points against poor sides, and that's because of a bad mental attitude. We have dropped a total of 6 very easy points so far, which in turn means we are sitting 5th instead of 2nd. Just one season when we don't do this and there is out title

Last year Chelsea fans wanted a new squad....just like that "gimme gimme gimme", "sack the rats"....they "betrayed Jose".....fast forward 12 months and they cant prize their heads out of Costa's lap

The really strange dynamic at Chelsea this season is that every win just shows more and more what utter cunts their players were last season.

I can't imagine us potentially winning the league and at the same time feeling embarrassed of the team.

-------------

I refuse to accept that finance is the only common denominator, and if I ever do accept it I will stop following football. Leicester did it last year, so there is no reason why we can't do it one day. That said, I genuinely don't think we have the manager to get us where we need to be, even if the squad stays relatively injury free. For me it's 5th or 6th this season, which in actual fact disappointingly proves YOUR point that money is a key denominator. It's easier than some people may think to win the league. All we have to do is beet the teams below us and get a few draws and the occasional win against the top sides. Spurs problem is dropping far to many points against poor sides, and that's because of a bad mental attitude. We have dropped a total of 6 very easy points so far, which in turn means we are sitting 5th instead of 2nd. Just one season when we don't do this and there is out title

We're taking about under and over achievement here. Of course Leicester won the league but it wasn't expected... that's why it was 5000/1. It was OVER-achievement - probably on the greatest scale ever seen. Beyond a once-in-a-lifetime event in my opinion.

Throughout the 90s we were large UNDER-achievers. That's why we changed manager ever year or so, struggling to finish mid-table.

Judging a manager properly is on the basis of your own clubs realistic expectations - in comparison to the resources (obviously finance, current squad, strength of other clubs). If you want to look at current under-achievers then Manchester United are an obvious candidate - one of the very biggest clubs in the world now 6th in the league with that severely damaged soul in charge.

Every team is going to drop "easy" points throughout a year. But we have only lost twice this year (at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge)... unbeaten at home, and on the back of 3 easy straight home wins against Swansea, Hull and Burnley. Teams of the past would have struggled to get maximum points from those 3 "easy" games as we all know.

There is no UNDER-achievement at Tottenham right now, in the league. We are punching our weight and higher. Obviously the Champions League performances are different but even then remember that we came out of seed Pot 3, and finished 3rd.

We're taking about under and over achievement here. Of course Leicester won the league but it wasn't expected... that's why it was 5000/1. It was OVER-achievement - probably on the greatest scale ever seen. Beyond a once-in-a-lifetime event in my opinion.

Throughout the 90s we were large UNDER-achievers. That's why we changed manager ever year or so, struggling to finish mid-table.

Judging a manager properly is on the basis of your own clubs realistic expectations - in comparison to the resources (obviously finance, current squad, strength of other clubs). If you want to look at current under-achievers then Manchester United are an obvious candidate - one of the very biggest clubs in the world now 6th in the league with that severely damaged soul in charge.

Every team is going to drop "easy" points throughout a year. But we have only lost twice this year (at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge)... unbeaten at home, and on the back of 3 easy straight home wins against Swansea, Hull and Burnley. Teams of the past would have struggled to get maximum points from those 3 "easy" games as we all know.

There is no UNDER-achievement at Tottenham right now, in the league. We are punching our weight and higher. Obviously the Champions League performances are different but even then remember that we came out of seed Pot 3, and finished 3rd.
Spot on.

Of course finance is not the only common denominator. But if a manager is achieving or exceeding realistic expectations based on those factors that you mention (finance, current squad, strength of other clubs, maybe in the long term also youth setup) then they need to be backed by us, the fans.

Back
Top Bottom