Great article about Spurs this season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Plus it's satisfying that the players we have,in the meantime have signed new contracts on,ok still obscene wages compared to the common man but nevertheless have signed them opposed to certain other clubs players "supposedly" wanting 290k a week....a week! We must be doing something right.

Why should we be competing for the league on a regular basis? Because we're Spurs?
Yes.

That doesn't mean settling for being second best, or not being competitive, it just means being pleased with what we've achieved, whilst still hoping to overcome the odds even more by doing even better.
What have we really achieved=we should be top 4 more often, at least (this would have brought its own rewards)?

They let us down that day by not caring enough about the rivalry with Woolwich or 2nd place.
The very same players, who supposedly was going to win us the PL.

I get the loyalty and agree with you that we are trying to compete with the money clubs but we are THFC and just by natural progress and luck should stumble onto a decent side now and then just as the 70s and 80s.

Plus it's satisfying that the players we have,in the meantime have signed new contracts on,ok still obscene wages compared to the common man but nevertheless have signed them opposed to certain other clubs players "supposedly" wanting 290k a week....a week! We must be doing something right.
Yes we are and moving forward but to say we should be happy, for where we are is silly. We should be wanting more and disappointed if we do not achieve it. football is competitive, we need to get some bollocks and want to achieve. (I know this is simplifying things) -the way we react to Woolwich on derby days should be the way we play in every game. Ive played football and its all about commitment and passion-who wants it more and a little luck.

For a London Paper, supposedly favouring 'their own local clubs' ...they don't half seem to dislike us!

Imagine the Humberside Evening News being so harsh on their own club; Hull...
Or the Bolton Bugle laying into The Trotters! (Bolton Wanderers, not Del Boy... they're from Oop North... they fucking hate Del Boy... Cockney Cunty Southern Poof!!)

What i'm saying is, other regional papers seem to champion their own local clubs...
Whereas The Evening Fucktard can't wait to lay into us!

Just sayin'!
what - you mean...........tell the truth?

I saw it in a different way; I thought it was complimentary. How well do you think we should be doing as a club?
I think most level headed supporters would as well.
Some people on here seem to think that all journalists have to present information on Spurs that has been filtered for criticism and typed wearing rose tinted spectacles.
Just waiting for the brainless "lazy journalism" comment that someone invariably trots out

Yes we are and moving forward but to say we should be happy, for where we are is silly. We should be wanting more and disappointed if we do not achieve it. football is competitive, we need to get some bollocks and want to achieve. (I know this is simplifying things) -the way we react to Woolwich on derby days should be the way we play in every game. Ive played football and its all about commitment and passion-who wants it more and a little luck.
And in your day playing football with all this passion and commitment - where would it have got you against the premier (or Div 1) league leaders, at that time?

Nowhere - right? Because the gulf in talent cannot be simply bridged by trying harder. Common sense has to overcome blind passionate support at some stage, unless we magic up the money to compete on an identical level to Manure, City, Chelski, LFC and the arse - then it doesn't matter how much badge kissing and trying goes on, the gulf will always be there.

It's bit like saying your children have done
OK , but because they don't go to some
privalliged posh private school they are never going to be as good.
no it doesn't - that's a crap analogy. Intellect and innate intelligence can overcome social inequalities. Whilst Eton scholars get a foot up on the ladder through the old boys network, if they are fundamentally dumb then a genius from the back streets can overtake them.

But whichever way you look at it - if mummy and daddy have lots of money then they can buy the best to get their offspring as high up the ladder as their money can afford. But no money buys footballing skills in an individual - but it can buy an individual with footballing talent.

Last edited:
I agree with the article. People also forget that were it not for lottery winner clubs like city and Chelsea we'd probably be finishing top 4 an awful lot more. Chelsea would prob still be more or less up there challenging on our level* (albeit not so dominant) and city would still be a yo yo club.

*provided they avoided the imenebt financial collapse they were facing before Roman came.

I agree with the article. People also forget that were it not for lottery winner clubs like city and Chelsea we'd probably be finishing top 4 an awful lot more. Chelsea would prob still be more or less up there challenging on our level* (albeit not so dominant) and city would still be a yo yo club.

*provided they avoided the imenebt financial collapse they were facing before Roman came.

Weren't Chelsea going bankrupt before the crook took control?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/17/newsstory.sport9

They were just about to go into bankruptcy with the property world looking to level their footprint, and were definitely circling the drain. Their supporters conveniently ignore all of this

They were just about to go into bankruptcy with the property world looking to level their footprint, and were definitely circling the drain. Their supporters conveniently ignore all of this

Hence the asterisked point. But yeah, massively. Not the last time they received an dose of outrageous good fortune (in both senses of the word)

Good article.....hadnt thought of us being unbeaten a WHL. Thats definitely a hoodoo I dont want broken and think it would become the stuff of legend if come May, it were still intact, in our very last season there..

Playing European games at Wembley does have its plus side then :allitongue:

I'm in agreement with the article, we are punching above our weight. In terms of finances we just cannot complete with Utd, Chavs, City, Woolwich and Dippers. Two out of those three are financially doped. The other three are the most successful clubs in the history of English football. We have been lucky in the last 10 years in that Levy/ENIC have started to get things in order. Our improvement really began under Martin Jol, Levy has still sacked 4 managers in that time, but over that time we have gradually improved. Now we have one of the best young squads in the league, we have Pochettino, we have a new identity, we have a new stadium, our future is bright.

Can I point out this bit of the article...

Alli also looked dejected as he left the ground after the match but there were encouraging words from Rose. The defender said: “It is his second season and people aren’t giving him as much time as they did last season, but Dele is still our most dangerous player. It is true that he is not doing as well as last season, but I always tell him that I wish I was where he is.

“Look at how well he has done — and he is still only 20. He is working under the best manager and come the end of the season, the manager will have brought the best from him.”

English football moves at breakneck speed, both on and off the pitch. Sometimes, though, it pays to stand back for a second and realise that whatever the disappointments of this season, Tottenham are still performing pretty well.

Danny Rose has become the voice of reason and clearly a senior member of the squad. :roseunsure: My son was clearly on to something picking Danny as his favourite player all those years ago.

Back
Top Bottom