Great article about Spurs this season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For a London Paper, supposedly favouring 'their own local clubs' ...they don't half seem to dislike us!

Imagine the Humberside Evening News being so harsh on their own club; Hull...
Or the Bolton Bugle laying into The Trotters! (Bolton Wanderers, not Del Boy... they're from Oop North... they fucking hate Del Boy... Cockney Cunty Southern Poof!!)

What i'm saying is, other regional papers seem to champion their own local clubs...
Whereas The Evening Fucktard can't wait to lay into us!

Just sayin'!

Spot on in my opinion. We are punching a bit - in terms of finance we shouldn't be top 4 so if we finish Top 4 this does represent massive achievement. Perhaps our par is about 6th?!
I'm pretty well grounded in this having seen many seasons in the 90s where we finished bottom half - which was gross underacheivement
1997–98 FA Premier League - Wikipedia

Good article.....hadnt thought of us being unbeaten a WHL. Thats definitely a hoodoo I dont want broken and think it would become the stuff of legend if come May, it were still intact, in our very last season there.

People sometimes scoff at Levy and throw the toys about spending....however we just spent 60M trying to strengthen our position. If signings dont hit the ground running, it doesnt mean he hasnt spent.

In 50 years, Levy will have status right up there, reserved for the likes of true legends of this club.
Todays whiners will be long gone, or in their 80s and tomorrows fans will read about the chairman who took on the government for 15 years and delivered.......DELIVERED what he promised, while running us debt free.

Amazing that Palace and Spam have higher earners than our top players....and just goes to show how not to do it.
Championship football in half filled grounds cannot afford 120grand a week players. Ask Leeds.
The lure of this club is that good....our players are not just there for the money, and we have created a group that believe in the club and the manager.

Gone are the days of Modric and Bale begging to fulfill their "dreams".......our players dream of silverwear here at Spurs now.

Last year, as the article says, was a one off. This year will show where we are, and from where Im sitting, we're right in it.

Spot on in my opinion. We are punching a bit - in terms of finance we shouldn't be top 4 so if we finish Top 4 this does represent massive achievement. Perhaps our par is about 6th?!
I'm pretty well grounded in this having seen many seasons in the 90s where we finished bottom half - which was gross underacheivement
1997–98 FA Premier League - Wikipedia
What's interesting is that, as the article says, other clubs such as Palace and West Ham pay their top players more, and our net spend is generally one of the lowest in the league too.

The article helped to remind me that we are doing very well under Poch, in the grand scheme of things, and not to get too down about a few recent performances.

1882 1882 Did you actually read the article?

Nope... I skimmed the headline, and formulated my opinion based on some half-baked opinion that was founded on years upon years of their skewed mis-reporting and bias favouring other London clubs (namely West Ham, ArseAnal, and Chelsea... basically, everyone except us!)

they probably love us, i'm sure!

...actually, I did read it, and yes, i agree, they don't totally hate us!

"There is only one club in the top six punching above their weight, and it is Tottenham-Other clubs crave such consistency." .....and the five above just laugh at us?

I found the article positive, patronising ,embarrassing and pointless-a shite sandwich. .
Punching above our weight?

th

I saw it in a different way; I thought it was complimentary. How well do you think we should be doing as a club?
It was complementary in a, your fat but have a bubbly personality, your crap as a football club but are doing well considering-be grateful. Who is he preaching too?
Its nice to hear but really-I want to hear, we must do better. football is competitive and no room for niceness.
If someone spoke tome like this in life,I wouldn't accept it and would want strive for more.

I feel we should be competing, as last season and on a regular basis-why not. Winning some silver now and then and creating some real moments of achievement. Look how we finished at the end last season, shameful.

Except for the ' when again we will ever see Liverpool finish outside the top4'
When in fact they have finished outside the top 4 5 times in the last 6 seasons

How on earth did Levy take on the government even once, let alone for 15 years?

This has been going on since the early 2000s.....they wanted the club to pay for improved transport links to the ground in the beginning....planning permission took nearly a decade.....heritage commitees and listed buildings......changes to the design.......Archway......Haringey Council....funding.......London Transport......all these added a couple hundred million to the final costs, and years of delays.

I would have ended a lifetime of support if we ended up in Stratford, and I dont believe it was a ruse to get what he wanted....so Im no apologist. But the geezer fought tooth and nail for this.

Last edited:
"There is only one club in the top six punching above their weight, and it is Tottenham-Other clubs crave such consistency." .....and the five above just laugh at us?
Hate us, mostly. They can't poach our players, and losing to us is a badge of shame for them, but many of them consistently struggle against us anyway. We're a long way behind them in resources, yet still finish above at least one of them every year. That's a pretty impressive track record, and the fact remains that we are the only club in the last 25 years to fight our way into the top 6 on a consistent basis without using massive over-spending to do it.

Hate us, mostly. They can't poach our players, and losing to us is a badge of shame for them, but many of them consistently struggle against us anyway. We're a long way behind them in resources, yet still finish above at least one of them every year. That's a pretty impressive track record, and the fact remains that we are the only club in the last 25 years to fight our way into the top 6 on a consistent basis without using massive over-spending to do it.
Firstly I want to say, Im fully behind what is happening at THFC at the moment and am optimistic for the future. 25 years of punching above our weight and being proud of this is silly. We are falling short of what we should be achieving. Top 6 is a mini league and we often come 2nd from bottom?

It was complementary in a, your fat but have a bubbly personality, your crap as a football club but are doing well considering-be grateful. Who is he preaching too?
Its nice to hear but really-I want to hear, we must do better. football is competitive and no room for niceness.
If someone spoke tome like this in life,I wouldn't accept it and would want strive for more.

I feel we should be competing, as last season and on a regular basis-why not. Winning some silver now and then and creating some real moments of achievement. Look how we finished at the end last season, shameful.
Why should we be competing for the league on a regular basis? Because we're Spurs? Because we won trophies in the 70s and 80s? Everton could say the same thing.

We are doing tremendously well to compete with clubs who have every advantage over us. That doesn't mean settling for being second best, or not being competitive, it just means being pleased with what we've achieved, whilst still hoping to overcome the odds even more by doing even better.

BTW I totally agree about the end of last season being shameful. At the final whistle of the Newcastle game when the players came over to us I was shouting at them and giving them the wanker sign. They let us down that day by not caring enough about the rivalry with Woolwich or 2nd place. (But I see this as a separate issue, and also more to do with most modern footballers in general rather than these specific players).

Back
Top Bottom