Gary Neville analysis of us on MNF

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"usually comes with a little more fanfare and wounded grandstanding. Where is the sympathy rally?"

I think the time has come for me to bail. Just not worth it to me anymore (hell, I even had you both on ignore and could still see the evidence of you guys slingin the shit towards an entirely benign post), and I think you dudes could use a fresh hobby. I do sincerely apologize for any wrong I may have caused you in the past.

The rest of you is good people. Enjoyed it.

There it is.

It's much easier to play for sympathy than admit you were the who's who of posters that wanted the Liverpool's Southampton players and MS. I doubt you will find a poster who mentioned them in relation to Poch's tactics and how our players wont work in it more than you.

And you bailing from this forum is about as believable as an AVB press conference.

Since it's me, and I've been too happy:

What the fuck is going on with these short corners?

It was good to see Lamela put a proper one in for the goal. (Even though I'd like to see Eriksen take every set piece regardless of which side it's on)
I didn't get to see the full game - was we playing short corners? That's odd! I know we're not the tallest team but with Kaboul, Verts, Dier, Capoue, Chadli, Ade - you'd think we'd just stick it in the box.

If Lamela can stick it on someone's head like that, I'm happy for him to take corners. We have been severely lacking in quality set pieces the last few years, corners in particular. Eriksen is FK taker every time - corners, I just want a quality delivery into the right area.

I didn't get to see the full game - was we playing short corners? That's odd! I know we're not the tallest team but with Kaboul, Verts, Dier, Capoue, Chadli, Ade - you'd think we'd just stick it in the box.

If Lamela can stick it on someone's head like that, I'm happy for him to take corners. We have been severely lacking in quality set pieces the last few years, corners in particular. Eriksen is FK taker every time - corners, I just want a quality delivery into the right area.

Yep. In all games plus preseason we've been playing a lot of short corners. They look like training ground routines and none have come off.

We were still sticking it into the box, just from different angles.

Don't mind short corners, end result is often a cross into the box from a better position. Also now teams will be expecting it, more space will be created as it's one less marker in the box. Variation ftw.

The way we beat QPR at the weekend (composed arrogance) and the result at Upton Park (gritty, work ethic for 95 minutes) these are the results and in the manner which any club aspiring for a top 4 finish should produce.
Of course we will be strongly tested against The Manx, Goons and Chelski. But if we can maintain the sort of performances/results against the mid to lower tier sides that we have seen already, (something that we have been short of previously), home and away then imo we have a very realistic chance of not only qualifying for CL
football this season but maintaining it too. For me add Schniederlin to this squad and the chance of that increases
by some considerable percentage.

Footnote! Maybe more wishful thinking than fact. But now Battieloopy has arrived at Anfield and some of the characters they already have. Sturridge, Skertile, Lovren, Lucas, Henderson. I can see them imploding.

think schneiderlin is as good as capoue and we'd have to lose townsend if we wanted him which I really dont want. Also means sandros out the door

I'm all for trying something new. Before Dier's goal, it wasn't like we were banging in corner goals consistently.

Yep. Failing to score from set pieces has been a massive issue in the past.

We've had players like Defoe, Townsend, Soldafo, Lennon, Lamela, Eriksen, Holtby, Rose, Naughton etc attacking them making us look like an under 11s girl side.

With Ade, Kane, Dier, Walker, Kab, Vert, Capoue, Bentaleb, Moose, Sandro, Chadli etc steaming in we can get way more out of them.

I know you don't rate Paulinho, but a huge plus to his game is causing chaos in the box too. He does not score pretty goals, but he can bundle them in and has good positioning in the final third. I don't think his shooting can possibly have been much worse.

I've been a huge advocate of Etiksen taking all set pieces, but if Lamela does take the cornrrs from the right, at least you have Eriksen who can be world class if the ball drops to him from a knockdown.

Exciting stuff. It's about time we bullied teams and dazzled them at the same time. Eg, eriksen killing the ball dead after it came down with snow on it. If we compete in all areas, we can get rid of the soft spurs curse and still do it with style.

can anyone recall the last time we scored directly from a corner?

i have a 9 year old who yells at the telly "just get it over the first man!" so he was pleased to see dier in at the near post.

Off top of my head I remember Capoue scored from one. Powered a shot through bodies?

I've got one daws scored on Betamax.

think schneiderlin is as good as capoue and we'd have to lose townsend if we wanted him which I really dont want. Also means sandros out the door

Agree....Capoue starting to come into his own, plus we have Dembele. Id rather stick with Sandro than MS, but Im not sure if he's burned a few bridges.

Don't mind short corners, end result is often a cross into the box from a better position. Also now teams will be expecting it, more space will be created as it's one less marker in the box. Variation ftw.

But we could be in a position that fat Sam bragged about with Bolton. He said everyone knows that the ball is going to the big boys. He said he is showing his hand but good luck trying to stop it.

It was pretty much all he had to keep his team competing. If we can have that, plus fantastic play from Lamela, eriksen, ade etc etc we will be a force.

Eriksens ex manager claimed we have probably signed the best corner taker in the world.

don't think we need any new players. poch has the capacity to get all our players playing. including sandro and paulinho who we haven't seen yet under his tenure. bring in dawson's replacement and keep townsend and lennon if they understand they have to battle for their place and happy to come in for cameos. i have the sense that more so than past managers - including - redknapp - the poch has the ability to keep a squad focused and energised toward the collective goal. tho' early days of course!

"usually comes with a little more fanfare and wounded grandstanding. Where is the sympathy rally?"

There it is.

It's much easier to play for sympathy than admit you were the who's who of posters that wanted the Liverpool's Southampton players and MS. I doubt you will find a poster who mentioned them in relation to Poch's tactics and how our players wont work in it more than you.

And you bailing from this forum is about as believable as an AVB press conference.
You won. Try to be a good winner please.

Back
Top Bottom