Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
I really dont think it counts for much to be honest. The money on offer, the position of the club, european competition, even location are likely to be bigger factors.

Also, as with your example, who is to say Lallana even likes Pochettino? What if he felt Pochettino was holding him back, or didnt like his methods? Just because they work together now it does not mean there is a particular bond does it?

I would suggest De Boer is a bigger draw than Pochettino, but generally its a less significant factor anyway

Agree. It was a hypothetical case where I wrote assume they like each other. That is Pochettino and Lallana.

I think players go through the same bucket list as we all do when they have a new offer on the table. Of course that includes the city of the team etc. But that is a fairly stable factor, unless the name of your team is Wimbledon. But of course, the relationship with the manager is just one of those things on the list and exactly like you said, I think it is a small one indeed. With that said, to my own experience some people [including players] seems to favour the 'known' over the 'unknown'.

To be noted: I am not sure of Pochettino either. Like I said in my first post, he is battling with DeBoer for that 3rd 4th place on my list.

Can you explain why he isnt?

He has managed only one club, has never won a European trophy and I'm not sure if he has gone a season unbeaten but I don't think he has. Also he has 0 experience in the premier league.

But I wasn't trying to be smart, I genuinely want to know what I'm missing here.

Can someone explain to me why Frank is an improvement on AVB?

AVB - shit boring tactics that send people to sleep, playing players out of position, sending Ade to train with Kids, massive failure at Chelsea, massive failure at Spurs so on and so on.

De Boer - Van Gaal apprentice of sorts, doing well with Ajax, reputation for attacking football and good tactical thinking.

Of course De Boer is a risk as are all managers but he's far less a risk than AVB or Sherwood were for starters.

Fair enough, mostly valid inputs, seems it will be another risk tho right? and we'll probably have to afford a transitional period etc all over again.

Fair enough, mostly valid inputs, seems it will be another risk tho right? and we'll probably have to afford a transitional period etc all over again.

Patience unfortuantly and I doubt even with a good manager top 4 next year will be possible, we need a lot of time but most of all we need stability.

He has managed only one club, has never won a European trophy and I'm not sure if he has gone a season unbeaten but I don't think he has. Also he has 0 experience in the premier league.

But I wasn't trying to be smart, I genuinely want to know what I'm missing here.

So you are confident AVB is the better manager?
Personally I have no idea. Frank De Boer has a lot of experience. He was a fabulous player which itself commands respect, something AVB could never have (though of course doesnt mean he will make a good manager). He has worked a long time at club and international level before taking over as manager, done his education if you like.

Since being at Ajax he has done VERY well, they play some great football and win.

He is at a point where he is beginning to outgrow them, is showing great potential and needs a chance elsewhere.

Its a gamble, for sure, but I dont see why we shouldnt give him that opportunity - it could pay dividends.

This article on why he should take over Utd talks him up well
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ect-choice-for-manchester-united-9277074.html

If United want to make a long-term appointment, and everything suggests they do, then with Klopp and Pep Guardiola otherwise engaged and Carlo Ancelotti difficult to entice from Real Madrid, United could do worse than turn to Frank de Boer at Ajax.United want a manager capable of delivering expansive, successful football true to the club’s long-standing philosophy, while developing homegrown talent ingrained in the United way.
This is exactly the work De Boer has undertaken at Ajax, drawing inspiration from Van Gaal but more significantly Johan Cruyff, who proved his model was transferable to Barcelona.
There is no guarantee that it would work in the Premier League but De Boer’s meticulous attention to detail, understanding of a club’s history and clear attacking style would sit well with United’s core values. As a firm believer in the ‘Ajax way’, his team play with a possession-based approach supplemented by fierce pressing and tactical fluidity.
De Boer, who turns 44 next month, is on his way to a fourth successive Dutch Eredivisie title but is yet to prove successful in Europe. With better players, that could change. If performances in Europe reveal a tactical and technical naivety in English teams, someone like De Boer could instigate that change. He remains close friends with Guardiola, who employed many of the Ajax traits at Barcelona and then Bayern Munich.
If he can be prised from the project at his beloved Ajax, and he has hinted at a move to the Premier League before, United could do a lot worse.

And as a player he s had a career to be proud of, that might help install respect, these guys have all watched him play when they were kids

That's a good point, Sherwood was an ok player, AVB didn't even have a professional career, De Boer was a legend. Players will know that this guy has played in big games and won, they will not be able to feel superior to him, a big advantage IMO.

That's a good point, Sherwood was an ok player, AVB didn't even have a professional career, De Boer was a legend. Players will know that this guy has played in big games and won, they will not be able to feel superior to him, a big advantage IMO.
yup that's what i ment , from the current Spurs players nobody can claim to have had a career like his or even coming close to it. They all know this, they were all football loving teens when he flourished on the pitch

these guys have all watched him play when they were kids

You sure about that?

Brad-Friedel-PI_20121206085144299_660_320.JPG

Any manager that takes charge, there's always an eliment of luck if it works. We, could bring in an establish top, CL euro hardened coach or a one trip pony, only time will reflect the right appointment.

Back
Top Bottom