Formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

-----------------------Lloris---------------------
---------Chirches - Kaboul - Vert -----------
Walker -------------------------------Davies
------------- Paulinho - Holtby ---------------
-----Lamela----------- ---------- Eriksen -----
-------------------- Ade --------------

The thought of a 5 back had never crossed my mind, but off the top of my head I could picture something like this :pochlol:

I really wouldnt put Dembele that attacking, the guy cant shoot and isnt very creative, that spot should be for Eriksen and only Eriksen. We need to get a top LW.

He's in there for his general game. We don't know much about his shooting. He averages 1 shot every 2 games because he's a DM for us in most of his games. He's in there to make the ball stick in the final third or power into the box and distribute to people who can score. His ability to beat people, hold his own in 50/50s, hold is own in headed duels, beast people in general and his pass percentage will be of more use to us in the box. (He has a better completed pass percentage than Modric). If he passes to people who can actually finish in the final third, we can go up a level.

You can't load up the final third with weak players like we did last season (Siggy, Townsend, Lennon, Defoe, Soldado, Holtby, Lamela, Eriksen) and expect to get it all your own way.

I wish the penny would drop about Dembele on message boards. Everyone goes on about his creativity etc in the final third. He was a DM. Yes he can do a job there because he's well rounded, but IMO he needs to get shooting practice in more advanced positions in preseason. He's wasted as a DM. He has too much ability to be wasted there when we have Capoue and Sandro.

Think about it: The worst player that you picked out of my lineup was Dembele. Is that really that bad? He's the most well rounded player we have at the club. Mr dependable/solid. Even if your perception of him as an AM is correct, he'd still give us a lot more than Holtby, Townsend, Lennon etc gave us, just from his general game.

Townsend could beat people, then he'd give it away. Dembele is the next best dribbler (
statistically) than Townsend, and last year had the best long pass % in the entire prem. This season he has a better pass % than Modric. He's not going to scuff it or give it away in the final third.

Last edited:
He's in there for his general game. We don't know much about his shooting. He averages 1 shot every 2 games because he's a DM for us in most of his games. He's in there to make the ball stick in the final third or power into the box and distribute to people who can score. His ability to beat people, hold his own in 50/50s, hold is own in headed duels, beast people in general and his pass percentage will be of more use to us in the box. (He has a better completed pass percentage than Modric). If he passes to people who can actually finish in the final third, we can go up a level.

You can't load up the final third with weak players like we did last season (Siggy, Townsend, Lennon, Defoe, Soldado, Holtby, Lamela, Eriksen) and expect to get it all your own way.

I wish the penny would drop about Dembele on message boards. Everyone goes on about his creativity etc in the final third. He was a DM. Yes he can do a job there because he's well rounded, but IMO he needs to get shooting practice in more advanced positions in preseason. He's wasted as a DM. He has too much ability to be wasted there when we have Capoue and Sandro.

Think about it: The worst player that you picked out of my lineup was Dembele. Is that really that bad? He's the most well rounded player we have at the club. Mr dependable/solid. Even if your perception of him as an AM is correct, he'd still give us a lot more than Holtby, Townsend, Lennon etc gave us, just from his general game.

Townsend could beat people, then he'd give it away. Dembele is the next best dribbler (
statistically) than Townsend, and last year had the best long pass % in the entire prem. This season he has a better pass % than Modric. He's not going to scuff it or give it away in the final third.

Please dont assume I think Dembele is a bad player! I think hes great, he could be handy to have further forward for his solidness but we have seen his shooting, and it isnt the best. His pass completion is extremely high because most of the passes he plays are simple ones across the pitch or back towards defenders.
I just think hes better as someone that controls the midfield.

Pass %age doesnt really mean jack if he cant pull of a pass that is going to get through a defence.
You do make very valid points regarding the weakness of the upfront, but weakness can be backed up by skill and agility, something that both Eriksen and Lamela both have the ability to do.

And seeing as it looks Eriksen is going to be the star player of our team next season, you should build the team off of him in his best position, which we know is in the central attacking role, in the same way that we tried to build the squad around Bale the season before.

But when it all comes down to it, no matter what our opinions are..
This guy is in charge -->:pochsmirk:

Personally I'm really looking forward to us playing 4-2-3-1 this season under Pochettino.
If we do sign Ben Davies (lets hope we do), I'd like to see us also sign someone to play on the left of the 3, as I think Eriksen would be far better employed in the centre.

Please dont assume I think Dembele is a bad player! I think hes great, he could be handy to have further forward for his solidness but we have seen his shooting, and it isnt the best. His pass completion is extremely high because most of the passes he plays are simple ones across the pitch or back towards defenders.
I just think hes better as someone that controls the midfield.

Pass %age doesnt really mean jack if he cant pull of a pass that is going to get through a defence.
You do make very valid points regarding the weakness of the upfront, but weakness can be backed up by skill and agility, something that both Eriksen and Lamela both have the ability to do.

And seeing as it looks Eriksen is going to be the star player of our team next season, you should build the team off of him in his best position, which we know is in the central attacking role, in the same way that we tried to build the squad around Bale the season before.

But when it all comes down to it, no matter what our opinions are..
This guy is in charge -->:pochsmirk:

I disagree about Eriksen being the main man. We made that mistake with Bale and our strikers, AM's and wingers had goal droughts. Having one man running the show made us predictable.

I think Ade, Eriksen and Lamela should get an equal amount of the ball. It gives our attack more of a cutting edge because you can double up on the Eriksens and Bales.

Eriksen should be the main man from corners, set peices etc but we also need a plan B for when he is out.

Personally I'm really looking forward to us playing 4-2-3-1 this season under Pochettino.
If we do sign Ben Davies (lets hope we do), I'd like to see us also sign someone to play on the left of the 3, as I think Eriksen would be far better employed in the centre.

Eriksen playing center dictating everything with Paulinho coming from deep Sandro sitting, the fullbacks bombing forward Lamela and the other wide forward cutting in. On paper it all makes sense so hopefully Poch is the man to get it ticking. I wouldn't mind trying Ade at left forward as he likes pulling out wide anyway and would give us an extra aerial threat although Chadli is very good in the air too and has shown flashes of real class also. It's gonna be exciting to see how it all unfolds under another new gaffer hopefully the last one for awhile.

Last edited:
-----------------------Lloris---------------------
---------Chirches - Kaboul - Vert -----------
Walker -------------------------------Davies
------------- Paulinho - Holtby ---------------
-----Lamela----------- ---------- Eriksen -----
-------------------- Ade --------------

The thought of a 5 back had never crossed my mind, but off the top of my head I could picture something like this :pochlol:
No thanks; Eriksen needs to play in the hole.

I simply struggle to work out any formation, because people are always on the move, at least for the midfield.
Even at kick off, I can't tell because of the centre circle!

Back
Top Bottom